The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
This is me, too. When I am seriously looking at a guitar, I don't really even play a song on it, I just play all the strings open and on every fret, play some chords, and try to get the feel of it and hear how it sounds.

Believe me, the guys who work in those shops have heard it all, and many have told me how annoying it is to get someone in there "trying guitars" who is just looking to impress a captive audience. If it's any help to you, you cannot overestimate the level of their indifference to your play. They really don't care about it at all. Mostly they just want a sale and an empty shop so they can play when nobody is there.
This is a great idea! Don't know why I never considered it. I think even at my worst, I can play open strings and single notes. That should give me a good idea of the feel and sound. Throw in the emphatic Em chord and skyward gaze recomended by Bluepoet and I will feel like a pro!

Thanks,
Jay
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
None of my friends play so I can't have them play for me.
You can always ask the salesperson to do so - it's a good way to focus your attention on the finer points of how different guitars sound from the listener's perspective, even for more experienced players.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Well, that is a "public performance"!
Is performing for friends a goal that you don't feel ready for yet, or something you already do?
Whichever, it's perfectly sufficient as an ambition. No need to feel inadequate if playing to strangers feels like a step too far.

BTW, Irish Pennant's advice is excellent for open mics. DON'T take your guitar first time! Check it out and get to know people. Quite likely, one week, you'll see someone who's a worse player than you...
The thing is, I grew up with these guys and am very comfortable around them. None of them play so they are easily impressed. Even with that I am very nervous and timid when I start. Once started, I have a great time and the guys do compliment me. Also, one of them makes some mighty fine apple 'shine and it is the only week of the year I imbide. That seems to help
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
You can always ask the salesperson to do so - it's a good way to focus your attention on the finer points of how different guitars sound from the listener's perspective, even for more experienced players.
When I bought the 510 that is what I did. I am afraid I would be a nuisance if I asked him to play all I want to hear.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Well...you play in front of Fender...think of people like him.
I believe, it's a lack of confidence, feedback of your playing and caring too much of what others think. My advise, get over it. Each time you play guitar, it's moment in time and it will pass...nothing more.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Well...you play in front of Fender...think of people like him.
I believe, it's a lack of confidence, feedback of your playing and caring too much of what others think. My advise, get over it. Each time you play guitar, it's moment in time and it will pass...nothing more.
If only everybody was like my ol' buddy Fender! Nobody would care how I sounded and everybody would love me

There would be a lot fewer squirrels, rabbits and ground moles too!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen. View Post
Hi Glen,
Thanks for this. It looks really interesting. It will give me some good reading at work. Did you do the course or just the blog?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM

If I heard you playing in a store, I'd probably think, "There's a guy about my age, can play those cool Led Zep or Skynyrd riffs. Wish I could do that!"

A couple of thoughts for you. When I go to the music store to get my strings, a magazine, metronome, whatever, I figure if I've spent some money then I get try a guitar or three. You'll want to try a lot of guitars a number of times to get a sense of the possibilities. So over the next year, buy some strings every once in a while, play some chords or whatever on something cool, and find out if you think rosewood really does sound different than mahogany.

Shops that sell electrics will have private rooms to try stuff. Shops that offer lessons will have lesson rooms.

Take some lessons, build a relationship with a teacher. Ask your teacher to help you trying out guitars.

Make some music friends. Try their instruments.

Here's a fun one. Wear a suit and tie. The shop staff will let you try anything and praise your skill no matter how simple your chops are. I had to dress nice for work for a while, and it made me laugh the treatment I got when I swung by Guitar Center after work.

Have fun! /jd
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM

I have a hard time even playing in front of my teacher. I've started recording my practice for him.

Do you have any friends that play? Ask that person to test drive it for you. Last time I shopped, I literally took my music with me. I couldn't remember anything without it. With it, I could stare at the music and hear how the guitar felt in my arms with the pieces I was used to playing.

On the other hand, you have a nice guitar. Why not spend some time changing strings and exploring if that gives you the sound you like? You could take the savings and buy more biscuits for Fender.

the neglected ones: GS Mini Spruce 2012 and Art & Lutherie Ami 1999
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_in_PA View Post
I have a hard time even playing in front of my teacher. I've started recording my practice for him.

Do you have any friends that play? Ask that person to test drive it for you. Last time I shopped, I literally took my music with me. I couldn't remember anything without it. With it, I could stare at the music and hear how the guitar felt in my arms with the pieces I was used to playing.

On the other hand, you have a nice guitar. Why not spend some time changing strings and exploring if that gives you the sound you like? You could take the savings and buy more biscuits for Fender.

None of them play though a couple of them have threatened to get a guitar and learn. I wish they would and I dog them about it from time to time but they are very busy.

Oh, I know I have a fine guitar. I love the sound and feel of it. It's not that I am GASing to buy. I would just like to try all those different brands, woods and shapes/sizes out there. I am not lucky enough to live in an area that has a lot of music stores. I have never been to a "nice" guitar shop. It irritates me to know if I ever do get the chance to visit a store with a large selection, I won't be able to really enjoy them. The MOST irritating part is I know it is all in my head.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Bluepoet,
That is very inspiring, thanks. If I could ever do that, it would be like a mountaineer finally climbing Everest! There is only 1 open mic around here that I know of. I have never been, but after reading your story, maybe I will go down and check it out.
Oh, definitely check it out...you certainly don't have to play, especially the first time you go...and, you may meet someone who can "inspire" you further...never know...at the least, you'll see others, of varying degrees of ability, play. What really got me thinking I could do it, was this guy that played very badly, and I'm not being judgemental at all--he literally would clear the room! Well, except for me. I watched him closely...he really didn't care--not as in, didn't care how bad, but didn't care what anyone else thought! He was actually trying very hard. I found that to be inspiring, because I thought, "If he can do that being so awful, there's no reason I couldn't, being just mediocre!"

Think of it this way...if you go, you can at least applaud and encourage someone who may be just as scared as you, and maybe you'll find someone who will "jam" with you, sometime.
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
What really got me thinking I could do it, was this guy that played very badly, and I'm not being judgemental at all--he literally would clear the room! Well, except for me. I watched him closely...he really didn't care--not as in, didn't care how bad, but didn't care what anyone else thought! He was actually trying very hard. I found that to be inspiring, because I thought, "If he can do that being so awful, there's no reason I couldn't, being just mediocre!"

Those are the people I envy. I would have been right there beside you giving him all the support I could. I try to tell myself that everybody feels like you and I do...but I know better
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
The thing is, I grew up with these guys and am very comfortable around them. None of them play so they are easily impressed. Even with that I am very nervous and timid when I start. Once started, I have a great time and the guys do compliment me. Also, one of them makes some mighty fine apple 'shine and it is the only week of the year I imbide. That seems to help
Ah-ha... You have discovered an important Secret. Good friends and some alcohol. Works wonders for any musician. (The more you drink, the worse you play; but the more everyone drinks, the less anyone notices or cares . )
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jay......glad you spoke up.

I can really relate to what you're saying about being so self-conscious, for sure. I know this seems easy for me to say, but i think you'd be surprised just how little the store help care about how you're playing, or are even aware of it. Believe me, they've seen and heard it all. They've been in the presence of worse, older, shakier, uglier, and for sure less pleasant players than you......and they really don't care one whit.

With that having been said, i understand that you can't help but still be concerned about what's going on in your own head. Is there a certain song or passage that you are best at, that you always come back to, that you'd feel best about playing in front of people, if you had to? If the answer to that question right now is "no", well, could there be one, in time?

My point is, it gets better.....as you get better. A few months back when i was still pretty early on in my education as a novice fingerstylist, i was quietly playing a noodle or two at our local GC, thinking/hoping i was alone, but when i paused, a gentleman stepped around a corner and into my view and said, "Man, i sure wish i could play like that, and make it sound like that."

Trust me, i am NO great shakes on the guitar, and this man certainly had to be a beginner, or possibly born without hands, to think what i was playing was somehow unreachable or not easily reachable, but.....it was kinda cool to hear him say that, right?! I hadn't been picking for too long, but i'd been making strides, and it was kinda neatly reassuring to be paid a compliment on it, even if it was out of politeness.

I bet you're better than you think you are, and while it's virtually certain that you're not going to play your best when you go in there around people, i'd also bet that you'll get a bit better at it, and more comfortable in that situation, over time and with repetitions......just like practicing makes you better.

Trust me, i GET the selfconsciousness thing. Heck, i don't even like peeing in a bathroom with a mirror. But sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone.....and you may find that that's the best way to expand it as well!

Good luck and keep playing,
-js
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJohn View Post
Welcome to the forum, Jay......glad you spoke up.

I can really relate to what you're saying about being so self-conscious, for sure. I know this seems easy for me to say, but i think you'd be surprised just how little the store help care about how you're playing, or are even aware of it. Believe me, they've seen and heard it all. They've been in the presence of worse, older, shakier, uglier, and for sure less pleasant players than you......and they really don't care one whit.

With that having been said, i understand that you can't help but still be concerned about what's going on in your own head. Is there a certain song or passage that you are best at, that you always come back to, that you'd feel best about playing in front of people, if you had to? If the answer to that question right now is "no", well, could there be one, in time?

My point is, it gets better.....as you get better. A few months back when i was still pretty early on in my education as a novice fingerstylist, i was quietly playing a noodle or two at our local GC, thinking/hoping i was alone, but when i paused, a gentleman stepped around a corner and into my view and said, "Man, i sure wish i could play like that, and make it sound like that."

Trust me, i am NO great shakes on the guitar, and this man certainly had to be a beginner, or possibly born without hands, to think what i was playing was somehow unreachable or not easily reachable, but.....it was kinda cool to hear him say that, right?! I hadn't been picking for too long, but i'd been making strides, and it was kinda neatly reassuring to be paid a compliment on it, even if it was out of politeness.

I bet you're better than you think you are, and while it's virtually certain that you're not going to play your best when you go in there around people, i'd also bet that you'll get a bit better at it, and more comfortable in that situation, over time and with repetitions......just like practicing makes you better.

Trust me, i GET the selfconsciousness thing. Heck, i don't even like peeing in a bathroom with a mirror. But sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone.....and you may find that that's the best way to expand it as well!

Good luck and keep playing,
-js

Thanks for this. I know I don't totally suck and my "go to" riff is Blackfoots' "Highway Song". Another thing that makes me self-conscious is the threads where people comment on how tired they are of hearing certain songs being played in music stores. The problem is, those are the songs I know. I can almost hear the eyes roll when I try my hand at "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Wish You Were Here".

I have learned to live with it. It is who I am and it isn't that big of a deal. My dad is the same way so I sometimes wonder if it is hereditary. Funny thing is, my brother is the exact opposite. He can do anything in front of anybody and not think twice about it. Wish I was more like him.

It's good to know there is hope for me. Maybe one day I wil get a compliment as you did and I know that would give me a boost. I try to always compliment those I hear playing because I kow how much I would appreciate it.

I wll keep plugging way because I enjoy it so much. As long as Fender doesn't start whining when I pick up the guitar, I will be ok.

Thanks again!
Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write