The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I think there are some folks here who might want to go take a few deep breaths and maybe count to ten.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:47 PM

I really roll my eyes on statistics that compare across countries.

China, Germany, France, Australia (ad nauseum) all have different standards, different data collection methods, standards and reporting.

To compare COVID testing results across countries is naive and not statistically relevant. Saying that Russia, China or Singapore have better COVID statistics is laughable. I'm totally astonished that people actually state these comparisons and think they are factual.

With information disinformation, we need to live in a World where nothing is factual, that's a strange world to live in but that is where we are at.

COVID? I'm not worried about it and those that wear masks at Grocery Stores? Well, I guess they worry more than necessary.

J
Old 07-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
'Herd Immunity' Sweden - population 10 million - COVID deaths 5,526

'Lockdown' Australia - population 26 million - COVID deaths 106
Here in the forum, we have "Nerd Immunity" where we all sit at our computers and discuss "Herd Immunity". Gotta love it!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 PM

Almost 71k new cases today in the US... crazy.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Negativism and Pessimism didn't make what America is today.

J
Sent you a P.M.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Absolutely, let the virus run it's course.

Just like past viruses have run their course.

Restricting economic and personal activity is not the answer.

J
There is a lot to unpack in your posts. I can’t address it all, but I can say (respectfully) that I disagree with almost all of it. But this here might be the biggest point; we have not let all viruses run their course. We’ve fought back and won enough battles that it has been worth it. And thank goodness for that.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:

J
Letting the virus run it's course?

If you think there is pessimism and negativism now, hold on tight.

Letting a highly infectious and lethal disease effectively run riot is probably not conducive to either personal or national optimism.

In fact it is quite the opposite a tacit acceptance of defeat and declaration that as individuals and as a society we choose not to rise to the challenge of defeating this disease.

IMO of course. YMMV.

Last edited by Silurian; 07-11-2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
There is a lot to unpack in your posts. I can’t address it all, but I can say (respectfully) that I disagree with almost all of it. But this here might be the biggest point; we have not let all viruses run their course. We’ve fought back and won enough battles that it has been worth it. And thank goodness for that.
You are correct, and in doing so we have relied on people making choices that benefit the community as a whole. Naturally, such choices may go against the grain for some, but I think being set a good example can help people to do what they can to reduce the risk of spreading this disease.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:

J
Earlier in this we had one of our business units blocks from one of the nation's hot spots, and another from a regional health center that was at capacity in a hurry. In the older posts I mentioned my sister in law the NYC geriatric med hospitalist, and my nephew who was diverted from serving most challenging surgery cases and trauma center to building up frequent intubation miles. The sibling not a doctor but admin staff who thought the health care was so great learned fast how we're in the bottom 1/4 for hospital capacity.

About 4 and 2.5 months before that my mother had a heart attack and bad injury. Just that spike in medical system use completely messed up her care.

As far as keeping the sort of lifestyle and economy we're used to, we learned fast that we have to protect the capacity.

A few good books I've read in the past year+ were reminders of what happens if a virus would run its course. I do not believe most of our society would accept that.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-11-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Removed politics
Old 07-11-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I think there are some folks here who might want to go take a few deep breaths and maybe count to ten.
....9, 10, 11.....19, 20, 21....99, 100, 101....

Thanks for the reminder Kerbie.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

The covid numbers are on the rise in my city here in the midwest. Half of the people are not wearing masks now. Restaurants and bars are being utilized. Several days ago the death rate equaled our all time high. One of our hospitals is cutting back on employees because of the economic impact of caring for covid patients. To me these are pretty simple observations. Obviously many are not paying attention.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-11-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
The covid numbers are on the rise in my city here in the midwest. Half of the people are not wearing masks now. Restaurants and bars are being utilized. Several days ago the death rate equaled our all time high. One of our hospitals is cutting back on employees because of the economic impact of caring for covid patients. To me these are pretty simple observations. Obviously many are not paying attention.
A month ago I was shouted down when I made the comment that explanations and interpretations of coronavirus were akin to millions of blind people trying to describe a dinosaur. I still believe that and think it's splintered even more in the interim as additional negative aspects surface such as a weariness in dealing with and even discussing covid19. Besides the inconvenience of wearing masks and using hand sanitizer, the economic effects taking hold and a general weariness with "the new normal," I believe that there's a large segment who firmly believe that they can simply will this thing to be over...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Negativism and Pessimism didn't make what America is today.

J
Back during WWII, everyone made sacrifices for the good of the country.
Remember the phrase "Loose lips sink ships"?
I think this generation has a lot of loose lips.
Epiphone Dot

Last edited by Tyeetime; 07-11-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
A month ago I was shouted down when I made the comment that explanations and interpretations of coronavirus were akin to millions of blind people trying to describe a dinosaur. I still believe that and think it's splintered even more in the interim as additional negative aspects surface such as a weariness in dealing with and even discussing covid19. Besides the inconvenience of wearing masks and using hand sanitizer, the economic effects taking hold and a general weariness with "the new normal," I believe that there's a large segment who firmly believe that they can simply will this thing to be over...
I agreed with you then (may not have posted to indicate my agreement then), and I agree with you now...both about the different perspectives and splintering, and most definitely about the weariness and the way people are reacting to their weariness.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
Back during WWII, everyone made sacrifices for the good of the country.
Remember the phrase "Loose lips sink ships"?
I think this generation has a lot of loose lips.
The phrase "Loose lips sink ships" referred to spilling information that should not have been disclosed.

Two references:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...ips+sink+ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_lips_sink_ships

My guess as to the other difference you mention might be due to the threat posed to us in WWII being accepted as being real by a large segment of the population. From what I have read in history, there were dissenters and those who sympathized with the Germans and/or Japanese, but apparently were in the minority.

Based on what I read in these COVID-19 discussions and the dissention I see among folks in the media, my guess is that there is a large segment of the population who don't see COVID-19 as much of a threat. I am not saying this is fact, which is why I words such as "guess" and "might".

There is so much information, corrections to previously stated information, and opinion swirling around COVID-19, that I am at a loss to state anything factually, so I prefer to err on the side of conservative and wear a mask when I go outside my home and honor social distancing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic