The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
I get the impression that some posters think the people on the front lines, MDs, nurses, Emts , are capable of working 24/7 with no breaks.

When you see the numbers on hospitalizations you should think a minute about the real people that have to deal with this every day.

Does it take the complete collapse of our healthcare system to get everyone’s attention?
A complete collapse may be in order, I wouldn't argue much about it
Old 07-10-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post

Wearing Masks at restaurants and other outtings?

Doesn't seem normal to me, but who knows what the public will succumb to.

J
This is an interesting point.

For me, I just don't see the downside of wearing a mask. I didn't study disease transmission so I'm not an expert. My thinking is, if the experts are right and we all wear a mask, festivals happen, concerts happen, there is no COVID thread #20 on the AGF, etc. If the experts are wrong, I wore a piece of cloth on my face. That's it. There's simply no real downside.

People's opposition to mask wearing makes zero sense to me.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Removed topic
Old 07-10-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

For me, I just don't see the downside of wearing a mask. I didn't study disease transmission so I'm not an expert. My thinking is, if the experts are right and we all wear a mask, festivals happen, concerts happen, there is no COVID thread #20 on the AGF, etc. If the experts are wrong, I wore a piece of cloth on my face. That's it. There's simply no real downside.

I wear a mask...however I don’t like wearing one...if someone actually likes wearing a foreign objection their face...more power to them....(remember to be nice)....I’ll stop!YMMV

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 07-10-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
I wear a mask... however I don’t like wearing one...if someone actually likes wearing a foreign objection their face...more power to them....(remember to be nice)....I’ll stop!YMMV
I get that but I also don't like wearing shoes and a shirt. And yet, that's an acceptable compromise for service.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

I can't see anyone taking the stance that wearing a mask, that there is no downside.

I've attempted to wear a mask, I have restricted airflow, I am breathing my own recycled air.

I'd rather breath fresh contaminated air than my own recycled air.

Other's may have different opinions on this.

J

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I can't see anyone taking the stance that wearing a mask, that there is no downside.

I've attempted to wear a mask, I have restricted airflow, I am breathing my own recycled air.

I'd rather breath fresh contaminated air than my own recycled air.

Other's may have different opinions on this.

J
But that's the thing, you aren't breathing recycled air. Average breathing rate is 6L/min at 12 to 16 breaths per minute. No cloth mask can hold that much air per breath.

And sure, I don't wear a mask at home when I don't have to for fun, but I don't get the huge opposition when we go out. It just seems like we could so easily be much further along but yet, here we are....

Last edited by RedJoker; 07-10-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:56 PM

I'm not breathing recycled air?

Tell my body that.

My body can totally tell the difference if my nose and mouth are restricted breathing air.

I just an in total astonishment when people say there is no difference with you nose and mouth covered and breathing.

That there is no difference.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE FOLKS

J
Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Wearing shoes and a shirt?

That's not a justification to wearing a mask.

J
Old 07-10-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure statistics isn't going to get our Country moving in the right directions.

Folks can spew statistics until the cows come home and beyond.

Right now, we need to be concerned with the well being of everyone in the country, and that doesn't mean keeping everyone safe from the virus.

It means keeping us safe from malaise, torpor, depression, indifference, worry and many other things.

We need optimism instead of negativism, pessimism and overall depressive attitude, which there are so many people promoting this attitude.

I can't understand all this negative attitude among the country these days?

Anyway, I see a lighter picture than most folks on this thread express.

J
Well, ignoring statistics hasn’t turned out very well for Texas, Florida, and Georgia.

Before you start saying that herd immunity is the only solution, you should at least wait until there is an indication that herd immunity is possible. At this point, there aren’t indications that having COVID19 confers long lasting immunity, and there are few anecdotal accounts of people having antibodies when tested (presumed at the time to be a low symptom case), and then the same person dying from COVID19 a couple of months later.

I am tired of legitimate questions and concerns being labeled as “negativism” Or pessimism, or similarly dismissive labels. If people can’t contemplate difficulties and ambiguous situations without getting depressed, then that is a weakness or limitation on their end....it is not a problem with my outlook or my capacity to face what is difficult to face.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Negativism and Pessimism didn't make what America is today.

J
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I think the problem is that we have conflict between the ' New Normal ' versus the ' Old Normal '

We'll see who prevails.

Wearing Masks at restaurants and other outtings?

Doesn't seem normal to me, but who knows what the public will succumb to.

J
Personally, if the “new normal” involves telecommuting and closing the laptop to have dinner with the family instead of the “old normal” of telling them to nuke something while you sit in bumper to bumper traffic I’ll take it.

Seriously, as a parent I think they’re rushing the kids back to school. It took me 5 years to figure out the reason I got a stomach flu every November was all my kids’ fault: they’re carrier which need their flu shots after all. The whole “virtual schooling” thing was completely underwhelming. I see it as more of an alternative to falling behind when you have to call them off sick.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 07-10-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:

J
I guess I don't understand your position, could you be a little clearer? You seem to be suggesting we just let the virus run its course. The estimates I have seen are several million deaths in the U.S. alone if we do that. Is this really what you want?
Old 07-10-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to sound cold.

But, if at this point, hospitals are struggling with resources, who's problem is that?

Of course, citizens are impacted, but it's truly the Hospitals that should be addressing these issues, and if three months isn't enough, then, the health care system has been WILLFULLY negligent in that area.

So, what's the solution?

I think Herd Immunity (Sweden) is the answer, I know it's not popular here, but I think that is the only answer until a Vaccine is developed.

J
'Herd Immunity' Sweden - population 10 million - COVID deaths 5,526

'Lockdown' Australia - population 26 million - COVID deaths 106

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-10-2020, 05:38 PM

Absolutely, let the virus run it's course.

Just like past viruses have run their course.

Restricting economic and personal activity is not the answer.

J
Old 07-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:

J
Glad that you understand my point, and are viewing my clear eyed look at reality as following in my ancestors’ footsteps.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic