The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-01-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
IMO, NBA Basketball is way worse than either of those.
It’s become literally farcical. The players control the game. The officiating is highly suspect. You got drug use being ignored, even joked about.
I don’t hope anything. People can do what they wish.
Nobody bothers to even try to hide that it’s all about money.
The gambling has made these Pro Sports completely corrupt.
I simply don’t care anymore.
Amen. Legalized gambling has been the death knell for sports as far as I'm concerned. With the cheating going on it's the flip side of a bad penny IMO. People need to wake up and realize they're being played for suckers by these raving Narcissistic primadonna players and fat cat owners. Never mind sanctions from within the league and fan disenfranchisement, these people feel they're above the law.

Case in point: there's been talk of letting Antonio Brown back into the league. Granted, as a Steelers fan I laughed at his Looney Toon hijinx but when he came a public menace by throwing furniture off balconies I changed my mind. Inconceivably the police seemed to show unusual restraint after being called to his home several times in the 18 months since he's been in the league. Now the "investigations" have gone silent and people are once again suggesting that Tampa or Seattle try him on for size. Bruce Arians is the head coach in Tampa though and he's gone on the record saying that that's not going to happen because "he's too much of a diva."

BTW, after recent events I've changed my mind and feel like Colin Kapernik is due his day in court for being blackballed.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Meat-gate?

"Vegan Times reports tonight that the Ball-boys on the New England Patriots have been slipping ground beef into the vegan black bean chili after the Plant Based menu planner inspected, and marked the pot! Indianapolis reportedly throwing epic Hissy-Fit claiming, "and they're slipping in Beano to reduce "methane volume" in the locker room leading to an unfair advantage!" "
Very good!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Amen. Legalized gambling has been the death knell for sports as far as I'm concerned. With the cheating going on it's the flip side of a bad penny IMO. People need to wake up and realize they're being played for suckers by these raving Narcissistic primadonna players and fat cat owners. Never mind sanctions from within the league and fan disenfranchisement, these people feel they're above the law.

Case in point: there's been talk of letting Antonio Brown back into the league. Granted, as a Steelers fan I laughed at his Looney Toon hijinx but when he came a public menace by throwing furniture off balconies I changed my mind. Inconceivably the police seemed to show unusual restraint after being called to his home several times in the 18 months since he's been in the league. Now the "investigations" have gone silent and people are once again suggesting that Tampa or Seattle try him on for size. Bruce Arians is the head coach in Tampa though and he's gone on the record saying that that's not going to happen because "he's too much of a diva."

BTW, after recent events I've changed my mind and feel like Colin Kapernik is due his day in court for being blackballed.
The thing is, legalized gambling is ingrained in pro sports. The sports media talks about it as much as they talk about the players and the game.
It is as much, if nor more a part of the experience for millions of people.
I would be willing to bet ( ha ha) that if the gambling went away, at least 50% of the so-called fan base would disappear with it. For many of these, the sport itself is secondary if not meaningless. Only the outcome and point spread matter.
Rarely do I have a conversation with anyone who hasn’t bet money on at least some games. Most of this is a younger demographic and not in my generation.

BTW, who is Cam “Mewton”?
Sorry, I had to ask.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The thing is, legalized gambling is ingrained in pro sports. The sports media talks about it as much as they talk about the players and the game.
It is as much, if nor more a part of the experience for millions of people.
I would be willing to bet ( ha ha) that if the gambling went away, at least 50% of the so-called fan base would disappear with it. For many of these, the sport itself is secondary if not meaningless. Only the outcome and point spread matter.
Rarely do I have a conversation with anyone who hasn’t bet money on at least some games. Most of this is a younger demographic and not in my generation.

BTW, who is Cam “Mewton”?
Sorry, I had to ask.
He has had a couple of down years and adopted 18 cats. He thought Mewton just fit better.

The big sports talk radio station in the Bay Area has at least 1-2 regular guests on during football season that give advice on who to bet on. They also pay for ads.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM

I don't see Cam and Bill every working well together. Cam has way to much ego. I don't think Bill will be very fond of Cams showboating.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I don't see Cam and Bill every working well together. Cam has way to much ego. I don't think Bill will be very fond of Cams showboating.
Exactly why this could be what takes Cam to another level. I don't see much Cam. Only when he plays my local team. I remember seeing the Seahawks dismantle the Panthers in a good year. The Panthers finally score in garbage time, and Cam did the full on "Superman" pulling open his shirt touchdown celebration. It was so cringey...

Bill could be the wheel that breaks that ego and turns Cam into a true team player.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Betting on sports-----I think there are point spreads given in the Egyptian hieroglyphics. The Roman games probably had betting. In Spain, the bull is ALWAYS a long shot bet! The "pick ten" cards that go around during football season (I heard that it is a "Little Sisters of the Poor" function) is always a favorite. Sport of Kings, horse racing, is hurting big time with all the other betting going down.

Best to watch the games, and the millionaire players, for entertainment. What is laughingly called "my team" doesn't exist anymore except at the high school level.

Fog
Old 07-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Betting on sports-----I think there are point spreads given in the Egyptian hieroglyphics. The Roman games probably had betting. In Spain, the bull is ALWAYS a long shot bet! The "pick ten" cards that go around during football season (I heard that it is a "Little Sisters of the Poor" function) is always a favorite. Sport of Kings, horse racing, is hurting big time with all the other betting going down.

Best to watch the games, and the millionaire players, for entertainment. What is laughingly called "my team" doesn't exist anymore except at the high school level.

Fog
And even not then as many kids are now free to play wherever they want and go to whatever school offers the most.

See IMG Academy, one of many.

https://www.imgacademy.com/

The football program is a factory for major schools like Ohio State to go after some of the best of the very best.

Not only this, but in Ohio my grandson could have left the high school he was in and played for a bigger school out of his district if he was good enough and wanted to. In fact, he didn’t even have to be good enough, he could do it anyway.
The Catholic High Schools get kids from several surrounding counties. Some live 25 miles away...even farther.
No such thing as “my team”, even at the high school level.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post

Fog
It doesn't make it right - and only recently has it been legal.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:17 PM

Back to Cam. I have a feeling the Pats will use both QBs often. I think mostly Stidham though and bring Cam in to keep the D on its toes.

If the Pats have a good D again, and keep the O above average, they could have a shot.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-02-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Back to Cam. I have a feeling the Pats will use both QBs often. I think mostly Stidham though and bring Cam in to keep the D on its toes.

If the Pats have a good D again, and keep the O above average, they could have a shot.
Please no-o-o-o-o

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM

North Carolina resident here and Carolina Panthers fan.

Pertaining to Cam:

1. I like Cam personally, always have. A great big kid with a heart of gold.

2. I am glad he is no longer our QB for the following reasons:

a. Inaccurate as a passer, always has been, career 59% passer. I
suspect that will continue given recent multiple shoulder, foot
injuries

b. Taken more hits than any other QB over the last 9 years and at 31
probably has the physical body of a 45 year old by now

c. His ability to run the ball has always made him a dangerous offensive
dual option threat, remove that to a large degree and make him
primarily a pocket passer and he is mediocre as a QB

d. He cannot be counted on to put a team on his back and win a
game in the fourth quarter a la Manning, Brady, Mahomes, etc.
Tied for 70th in 4th quarter winning drives at 17.

e. Not a great sideline motivator when the team needs him to be the
leader they will go to war for, rather, when things go south, he
is more often found on the bench with a towel over his head pouting
or sulking. Contrast with Brady or Manning or Brees or any of the other
true leaders/field generals who can be found exhorting the troops
to the very last play.

Having said all that, I do genuinely wish him well and hope he has success with New England. Although he got a little crazy with the outfits over the years, he was truly an asset to the Charlotte community and contributed a lot of time, energy and money to worthwhile causes, all while keeping his nose clean and never being embroiled in off the field troubles. I'll miss his big smile and kid like playfulness, but just thought he would never again be the guy who could get the Panthers to the promised land again from a talent perspective.

Last edited by spock; 07-02-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:39 AM

"Legal Betting" as set up by the States always pays out lower than than the "Illegal" betting on the streets----and then its taxed!

Fog
Old 07-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
North Carolina resident here and Carolina Panthers fan.

Pertaining to Cam:

1. I like Cam personally, always have. A great big kid with a heart of gold.

2. I am glad he is no longer our QB for the following reasons:

a. Inaccurate as a passer, always has been, career 59% passer. I
suspect that will continue given recent multiple shoulder, foot
injuries

b. Taken more hits than any other QB over the last 9 years and at 31
probably has the physical body of a 45 year old by now

c. His ability to run the ball has always made him a dangerous offensive
dual option threat, remove that to a large degree and make him
primarily a pocket passer and he is mediocre as a QB

d. He cannot be counted on to put a team on his back and win a
game in the fourth quarter a la Manning, Brady, Mahomes, etc.
Tied for 70th in 4th quarter winning drives at 17.

e. Not a great sideline motivator when the team needs him to be the
leader they will go to war for, rather, when things go south, he
is more often found on the bench with a towel over his head pouting
or sulking. Contrast with Brady or Manning or Brees or any of the other
true leaders/field generals who can be found exhorting the troops
to the very last play.

Having said all that, I do genuinely wish him well and hope he has success with New England. Although he got a little crazy with the outfits over the years, he was truly an asset to the Charlotte community and contributed a lot of time, energy and money to worthwhile causes, all while keeping his nose clean and never being embroiled in off the field troubles. I'll miss his big smile and kid like playfulness, but just thought he would never again be the guy who could get the Panthers to the promised land again from a talent perspective.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment. As a lifelong Pats fan, I'm intrigued by the move and glad that the season will be a bit more interesting, assuming we have one. The only thing that Patriots are risking is stunting Stidham's growth by a season, but I think that's better than throwing him out to the wolves with a compromised off-season and essentially ruining him. Given that he's playing for the veteran's minimum with incentives, and that no one else except the Browns and maybe the Bears were interested in him, I think Newton is starting from a completely different place than where he was in Carolina, with a completely different team dynamic. Should be fascinating to watch.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I like Cam Newton and he was great until all the injuries but honestly in the last couple of years it appears that he is more concerned in building up his brand, especially being known as a fashion icon, than playing football. I saw him at a post game press conference last season and he was dressed like Judy Garland.

It will be interesting if he can conform to Belichick's 'Team first, do your job' philosophy.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic