The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-29-2020, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Patriots sign Cam Mewton, busted for cheating again

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...m-crew-fallout

Never got too exercised about the first two, but this is getting silly. Interesting signing of Newton. They’ll get whatever Cam has left...plus they’ll know all the defensive calls from their tape.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...m-crew-fallout

Never got too exercised about the first two, but this is getting silly. Interesting signing of Newton. They’ll get whatever Cam has left...plus they’ll know all the defensive calls from their tape.

Silly is right. It was a honest mistake already explained ad nauseam when it happened. Getting Cam Newton was an interesting choice. I think he still has a few years in him, but his best years are clearly behind him.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 AM

The coaches and players had ZERO involvement with this,, as said, it was beaten to death in the local media here in New England I was surprised they pinged them for a draft pick since the coaches and team really had zero involvement. It was a "Kraft Production" crew IIRC, so okay, fine the owner, but leave the team's picks alone.

No hard opinion on Cam, I guess if he can help the team fine, He's more mobile, or...was more mobile than Tom Brady ever was, with a front line that seems unable to give protection, a mobile QB is probably a smart choice.

Last edited by rmp; 06-29-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Tough to lose a third round pick for nothing.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Cam Newton used to be a really, really good quarterback. He no longer is. He's adequate.

Also, in my personal opinion, he's a punk. He's all fine and happy when things go his way, but he acts like an insolent child when they don't.

I don't see him fitting in well with Belichick...
Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Cam Newton used to be a really, really good quarterback. He no longer is. He's adequate.

Also, in my personal opinion, he's a punk. He's all fine and happy when things go his way, but he acts like an insolent child when they don't.

I don't see him fitting in well with Belichick...
I agree. I just can’t stand his ego.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:40 PM

Newton has an opportunity to play his heart out for one season at "only" $1M plus incentives. If he's successful he'll sign elsewhere for tens of millions. This is his comeback chance.

Hopefully he's motivated to play on a team with a team first, winning attitude. If not, then perhaps a future contract is a motivation.

As a Patriots fan I have no problem with the signing but I'd drop him if there's any negativity or lack of effort on the field.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM

Cam might work out if his attitude is ok but generally attitudes don't change in football it seems. Maybe Coach Bill is exactly what he needs at this point in his career.

Time will tell.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM

Remember when the circus was the big game in town? That's kind of how I feel about the NFL and MLB. It's my hope that at some point people will notice that it's an ugly business and lose their taste for it.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:17 PM

Default This is gonna sound crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Cam might work out if his attitude is ok but generally attitudes don't change in football it seems. Maybe Coach Bill is exactly what he needs at this point in his career.

Time will tell.
Cam Newton has gone into a strange slide. Evidenced by the wild outfits and strange behavior he showed just before he shut down. I see him as damaged goods...and the Patriots are not a rehab clinic
Old 06-29-2020, 09:41 PM

I agree with both of Neil Walk's posts. When pro athletes made similar salaries to minions, sports were compelling. Not anymore... I'm appalled the geniuses on sports tv shows spend 60% of their time discussing player's salaries. Not interested anymore. I worked briefly in sports medicine for the LA Clippers. Was not a good place, (1988-90)..
Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
. I think he still has a few years in him, but his best years are clearly behind him.
If he ditches the plant based diet... I really wanted the "hiding behind the couch" emoji...
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
If he ditches the plant based diet... I really wanted the "hiding behind the couch" emoji...

Oh snap! [emoji23]

Like someone said, maybe Belichick and the Patriots culture is exactly what he needs at this stage of his career.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 AM

I hope he talked with Randy Moss about what it takes to succeed in NE.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:53 AM

I hope the Patriots go 8-8, make the playoffs and lose in the first round by 30 points.
That’s how much I care about any further news about them.

Meanwhile, Tampa Bay can have the same fate except Brady throws ten TD’s and thirty interceptions.

Good stuff.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic