The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I do this daily.
I would offer that it's very likely your strength increases would accelerate if you gave yourself 48 hours between sessions. There are several reasons for this, but rest is a huge part of exercise, especially when you mix 'high intensity' and 'over 50'. Your muscles need time to recover.

Last edited by fitness1; 06-16-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:55 PM

I thought this thread was about a serial killer who terrorized London back in the 1800s.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I would offer that it's very likely your strength increases would accelerate if you gave yourself 48 hour between strength sessions. There are several reasons for this, but rest is a huge part of exercise, especially when you mix 'high intensity' and 'over 50'. Your muscles need time to recover.
I'm not targeting strength or mass really. In fact mass gains have outraced strength by a large margin because of exactly what you are saying. I'm trying to maximize mitochondria function and quantity for diabetes reasons. I work out to not go blind or lose limbs. Looking better in a t-shirt is just a bonus
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I thought this thread was about a serial killer who terrorized London back in the 1800s.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 PM

The waist size code on my new pants is 'HH'.

That stands for 'Hula Hoop'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 AM

This thread really made me think. Other than playing with my 2-year old and the occasional bike ride or walk, I don't exercise. Haven't done any cardio in years. I'm borderline type-2 diabetic, but people are always surprised to hear it because I "look healthy and fit." My problem has always been that I hate, no, wait, let me rephrase that, I loathe, exercise. I've always felt it's a giant waste of time, I could learn something cool or do something that brings me joy instead, and I simply don't enjoy the process. I realize that I should exercise, obviously, but another part of the equation is that if I did, I might as well sell my guitars, because between a full-time job and running a household with a toddler, there barely is any time for guitar practice to begin with.

Sorry for whining. Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just wallowing in self-pity, I guess.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-17-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Do you know specifically how many protein grams you are eating? Not attacking. trying to help.
On average around 120 grams. I weigh 180.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-17-2020, 04:50 AM

I already have "rippled abs", they are just not muscle. Maybe in my next life!

Fog
Old 06-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I wonder how much individual bio-chemistry might create variables in what works and correct approach ?

I am 70 also and understand what that means. I know my strength and endurance is significantly reduced from my 30s and my muscle mass is reduced (maybe 20 %, just a wild guess ) also. As at my peak I was 5' 10 1/2" and 162
I am now about 5' 9" and 143
I have always been either average or on the slender side but was and still am what was called in the old days "wiry" with not much body fat (for lack of photo my body build has always been more or less something like Da Vanci's Vitruvian Man including the curly hair in 60's and 70's )

I really have not done any strength training per. se .(but should and will now that the const. project is ending ) Albeit I have been doing some limited (2 to 4 hours a day but with lots of days off ) carpentry both framing and finish for the last 6 months .

I don't have any weights or machines (except for a Recumbent spin bike for endurance ). So my question is for things like pushups ( was able to do my 35 in youth, now lucky to get 20). should I do the 20 or to failure with no stop,,, or do the down hold then 10 seconds up ? or a mix ? Thanks Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-17-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
On average around 120 grams. I weigh 180.
Believe it or not, you are eating at LEAST twice as much protein as your contemporaries! That's awesome!

Based on extensive research, my Doc recommends 1 gram of protein for every pound of "desired weight", as long as you are also restricting fat and carbs.

For a non diabetic type, that's less than a 100 grams of carbs (he's quite liberal for the normies), and no, or as little as possible, "added" fat. Meaning anything that comes with your food, including avocado is fine. Just don't add oil if you can avoid it.

It goes without saying that the carbs shouldn't come from grain, potatoes, what most people think of as fruit, etc.

So called low carb fruit like tomatoes, cucumber, and berries are fine.

Not getting enough protein is actually a bit of a problem as we age. Looks like that's not a problem for you personally, but you are also not a typical 70 year old if you are actively trying to maintain, and add muscle.

Might try upping your protein for a month to see if it works for you, although, you are already in the top 10 percent in your age range.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

I don't have any weights or machines (except for a Recumbent spin bike for endurance ). So my question is for things like pushups ( was able to do my 35 in youth, now lucky to get 20). should I do the 20 or to failure with no stop,,, or do the down hold then 10 seconds up ? or a mix ? Thanks Kev
Youtube has a ton of "calisthenic" training vids for folks of all ages. Bodyweight exercises is all you need. If you want to spend some money look up TRX. A body weight "suspension trainer" device. I love mine. Don't skimp if you buy one. The handles on the nicer models make a huge difference.

As to the pushups, it costs you nothing to try super slow ones. If you can do 20 normals, and you can get the same results from 3, why wouldn't you do 3? If you find it doesn't have any benefits, go back to your normal 20. cheap and easy experiment.

Also for no equipment working out, check out Diamond Dallas Pages DDP Yoga on youtube. It's a great workout for strength and flexibility and most importantly as we age BALANCE. I do that periodically. Maybe twice a week. Good stuff.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I wonder how much individual bio-chemistry might create variables in what works and correct approach ?

I am 70 also and understand what that means. I know my strength and endurance is significantly reduced from my 30s and my muscle mass is reduced (maybe 20 %, just a wild guess ) also. As at my peak I was 5' 10 1/2" and 162
I am now about 5' 9" and 143
I have always been either average or on the slender side but was and still am what was called in the old days "wiry" with not much body fat (for lack of photo my body build has always been more or less something like Da Vanci's Vitruvian Man including the curly hair in 60's and 70's )

I really have not done any strength training per. se .(but should and will now that the const. project is ending ) Albeit I have been doing some limited (2 to 4 hours a day but with lots of days off ) carpentry both framing and finish for the last 6 months .

At 5’9” and 143lbs. I visualize you as “slender”.
My grandson is your height and he weighs around 150. He’s 19, very lean and fairly muscular in the “wiry” sense.

The most important aspect of building muscle mass as it relates to training is putting as much stress on the muscles you are working as you can before your energy levels drop to a point where you can’t reach muscle failure because you’re out of gas.
The pushing movement of a push-up is the concentric movement. The lowering part is eccentric. Push up quickly with power and lower slowly to the count of three. Be sure and maintain control and form throughout the movement.
You may only be able to 10 or fifteen of those to start with. Perform three sets that way with about 3 minutes rest in between sets.
Do those every day at approximately the same time, once in the morning and once in the evening. Your ultimate goal should be to do 30 or 40 of those per set in that fashion.
You will see an increase in mass in about a month.
Make sure to eat a bit more protein. Your body will need it.
I suggest eggs, fish, chicken and dairy as in cheese, cottage cheese, low-fat yougurt, milk etc. If you can buy a “whey” protein supplement that can be mixed with water or in a smoothie or shake.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-17-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm 65 and am active. Used to be a bit of a gym rat but since moving to the mountains 9 years ago the gym rat part fell off.

Back in February I did join our local gym with the goal of developing my relatively weaker upper body and getting a six pack. In 3 weeks (2/3 visits per week) I was starting to see some real progress, getting some good ab definition. Then the gym closed. Not ready to go back yet.

Last time I had my body fat measured it was 11% and I'm guessing I'm still close to that. The lower the body fat, the more muscle definition you get from a given amount of exercise.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The lower the body fat, the more muscle definition you get from a given amount of exercise.
The lower the body fat, the more muscle definition you see.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The lower the body fat, the more muscle definition you see.
I don't think I've ever heard muscle definition discussed outside the context of seeing it.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic