The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default non scratchy sounding flat pick

I like the rounded triangle ones. I did some recording, and the sound of my guitar with the flat picks I use (fender medium, and also tried heavy) sounded high frequency scratchy. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I initially liked the rounded triangle Primetone picks but the fact that they (and other makers of similar picks) have decided it's a feature to have not all the corners the same, but not different enough to orient simply by feel, put me back in the plain (but not Fender "sharp"), big triangle camp.

Beveling helps, and I've decided that I can live with the little bit of higher frequency I get with the 1.4 Primetones. But, if you want a non-scratchy, bordering on dull, sounding pick, Fender makes one. (This is not a bad pick at all, but needs a bright guitar to balance it IMO.)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-shell-3-pack
Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 AM

This sounds like a job for a Blue Chip (or similar) pick or, if you've got the willingness to learn how to use it, one of the thick Wegen Trimus picks.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:29 AM

I've got a huge variety of different picks from Plexiglas to horn to silver and I've settled with the dark blue Dunlop Stubby Picks (3 mm). They are the least percussive sounding and coincidentally the least expensive. You can dig in or brush the strings for a full resonant sounding response.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:38 AM

Tusq picks seems to glide and sound less scratchy. Go for the heavier ones. The light ones wear out quick.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Blue Chip, period.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:33 AM

The Bluechip TAD 50 1R is a great pick. It has one corner rounded and I use that rounded corner a lot. I also have a TAD50 with what they call a round bevel. I like that a lot, too. It is darker that the speed bevel corners on the regular Tad 50.

With the combination of the 2 different corners on the 1R and a 2nd pick with the round bevel, you can get a lot of different tones with 2 picks.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Hearing any sort of "scratchy" tone from my acoustic guitars is something I will NOT stand for, so I understand your dilemma...

Part of the problem could be your technique with the flatpick, but I frequently have issues with my flat picks wearing or having an edge nicked... and then I just pitch 'em, or use them with my electric guitar...

Well, I used to just pitch them, until I got a Blue Chip pick, some 9 years ago... they are pricey, but, if you don't tend to lose small important items, they're certainly worth the price of admission! They are incredibly fast off the strings and wear like iron. Every other pick I've used has a tendency to wear down or get all scratchy on the edges I use, and the Blue Chip really resists that phenomenon.

I was using a small teardrop Gibson heavy pick, and I used that for decades before I got the Blue Chip. I chose the TP-1R 40 (stands for = two points, one round). It is a fairly large triangle pick, but I got accustomed to it quickly. At first I did not get the speed bevel, but hated that sound; sent it back and got the speed bevel...

A couple times over the past decade, I've managed to "nick" the playing edge of the pick; every time, The guy at Blue Chip has cut a new bevel and polished the pick at no charge (save the postage to them).

They will also cut a speed bevel on BOTH pointed ends of the pick for you; I'd recommend that option, as it gives you a "back up" point, in case you ding one!

Although the "40" felt pretty thick at first use, I've gotten to the point where I think I'd like a heavier one... but, all in all, I LOVE that pick!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks all. I feel like goldilocks again.

A few months ago I tried a bunch of picks from “the pick Shoppe” in Canada. Maybe I’ll email them to find out what I ordered so I don’t repeat the ones I didn’t like.

Keith, I will give the Fenders a try. At $4.99 it’s a gamble I can handle.

I was about to try the Graph Tech Tusq, but it seems like the bi-angle one only comes in heavy or extra heavy. I emailed the company to find out why this is so. Maybe I need to use a heavier pick to decrease scratchiness.

Everett..what do you mean by “if you've got the willingness to learn how to use it, one of the thick Wegen Trimus picks.” What makes playing with these so different than other picks.

Mike, those dark blue 3mm dunlop stubby picks are much thicker than the .73 picks I’m using now. I have tried some heavier picks and they do seem to be less scratchy, but the difference between 3mm and .73 millimeters is large. Don’t know if I can get used to such a heavy pick. But at this point, I’m willing to try a bunch of different picks.

If I bought a blue chip pick I’d have to a locket made to wear it around my neck! Picks tend to disappear around here. The other option is to toss it in my guitar and when I want to use it, shake it out!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM

I'm sensitive to pick scratch.

No one has mentioned Ultex, but I think they are right behind BC. So absent of a pick locket, you could try Ultex (they are cheap). Even better, get a thicker Ultex and learn to bevel it yourself and you'll have a great pick. Make sure it's >1.0 in thickness - less than that is not practical to bevel. Oh, and Ultex is slippery so buy some Monster grips. If Dunlop ever decided to speed bevel these, and do something to make them less slippery, they would have something that competes on the BC playing field.

Good luck!
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 06-14-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks all. I feel like goldilocks again....<snip>...If I bought a blue chip pick I’d have to a locket made to wear it around my neck! Picks tend to disappear around here. The other option is to toss it in my guitar and when I want to use it, shake it out!
I bought a Charmed Life caesin pick that I don't use. It's about. 75mm but I like picks closer to 1.5 mm. If you send me contact info I'll send it to you so you can try it. Just try not to lose it.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

With every pick that you buy which hasn't been preoprly bevelled and polished, you ned to do it yourself.

You can either buy Blue Chip, or Wgen, or do it yourself like this:

Old 06-14-2020, 10:38 AM

I’ve had good luck with Dunlop Jumbo in the 2 mm jumbo size, for taming the scratchy trebles. It’s a nice rounded and beveled shape straight from the factory. Every now and then I find I do want a little more treble and backing down to a 1.5 mm Flow does the trick. That size has a little pointer tip too. It’s crazy how much difference the pick makes on the tone.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I bought a Charmed Life caesin pick that I don't use. It's about. 75mm but I like picks closer to 1.5 mm. If you send me contact info I'll send it to you so you can try it. Just try not to lose it.

Give it a lot of protection... they can break easily, as I'm sure you know.

They're a lot of great pick makers out there, but I've got a few of Charmed Life Picks' casein 351-shapes. Love 'em... better than the teardrops for me.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I like the rounded triangle ones. I did some recording, and the sound of my guitar with the flat picks I use (fender medium, and also tried heavy) sounded high frequency scratchy. Thanks.
Hi KarenB

When I had an acoustic studio, I kept a RedBear 1.2mm around for people who had scratchy picks.

We also took away the Fender thins and sanded the edges round to rid them of the very sharp edges, and often sanded off a pointy tip.

I also liked Wegan picks for the same reason, particularly the ones with speed bevels (which we had on the RedBear picks as well).

And sometimes I'd even coach people to play closer to over-the-soundhole instead of near the bridge.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion