The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 PM

"You need to buy a guitar right now!" says somebody who makes his living selling guitars.

Uh, okay.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
We are seeing all manner of NGD posts around here and in the carbon fiber forum, people ordering Emerald and McPherson carbon fiber guitars. Now we hear of online orders "through the roof".

Where is all this consumer money coming from? This is at a time when I am continually hearing that many people are out of a job, though I suppose many are working from home IF they can do so. It is hard to imagine $1200 being enough to buy any of the carbon fiber guitars and many of the wood guitars folks seem to be getting. Ours went toward property taxes, not guitars.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks,

Tony
There’s a couple of guitars in that $1200 range that I’ve been eyeing. My wife who’s in charge of our finances and is a great manager of money, looked at me crazy when I even jokingly mentioned buying a guitar. She said “x amount is going to this debt, x amount is going to pay this off and x amount is going to our child’s college savings account. If you want a guitar, sell one of yours”.

It’s not always fun being married to a cheap wad, but in the long run I’ll be very grateful because of the way she saves.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
"You need to buy a guitar right now!" says somebody who makes his living selling guitars.

Uh, okay.
Exactly.

Leaving aside anyone's personal opinions or predictions of the future, when someone in the business of selling starts talking about the urgent need for you to buy . . . Perhaps a wee bit of skepticism is in order.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
There’s a couple of guitars in that $1200 range that I’ve been eyeing. My wife who’s in charge of our finances and is a great manager of money, looked at me crazy when I even jokingly mentioned buying a guitar. She said “x amount is going to this debt, x amount is going to pay this off and x amount is going to our child’s college savings account. If you want a guitar, sell one of yours”.

It’s not always fun being married to a cheap wad, but in the long run I’ll be very grateful because of the way she saves.
Nothing wrong with being financialy responsible. One thing I've learned after having been at it for so long is there is never a shortage of things I'd like to buy. And as soon as I pass up that "how can I possibly let this one go?" guitar, somehow another one of equal or higher lust magically appears. The cycle never ends. The secret to happiness is to learn to appreciate what you have.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I was a bit shocked When I went to order a few sets of strings (Elixir) to find that some gauges were hard to find, and when I did find them they were almost twice the price of what I usually pay for them.

Might have to venture out Of the house
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Story on the news here last week - with the lockdown preventing people going to the gym the sales of home gym equipment increased 3,000 %.
I'm not kidding, three thousand percent!
Home gym equipment is just about impossible to find. When the woman my wife and I were training with closed her location she loaned us some stuff (kettle bells, active motion bars, etc) and we've been training (as have others) with her from home via zoom four mornings a week. Strange days indeed...Lennon was right!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion