The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Probably EI, traditional but robust, balanced sound. Mine was used and the setup was terrible. Plus being 12 fret I ran out of frets too soon. It didnt last long in my house. Great build and finish work, the idea of a small shop built guitar appealed to me, see who built it with a mirror inside. The people there were not good at communication. I will never buy an HD again.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The people there were not good at communication. I will never buy an HD again.
Based on my experience with the H&D team and what I've heard from several others, I'm hoping your experience was an outlier. Maybe you caught them at a bad time - sorry you didn't have the best encounter. I've called and emailed with questions and have been helped quickly and kindly each time, was offered a tour of the shop when I dropped off my CM for some work, and had them kindly offer their time to look over a 2nd CM I picked up on approval (I ended up not purchasing). I've always found them responsive, patient, and very customer oriented and look forward to adding another six-string to keep the Singletree company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Austin,
Sorry, mate, for stepping on your toes. I can be the fastest clicker in the East. Appreciate the reinforcement for guitar that I have never played or even seen. The beauty and genius (I guess) of a 180 return policy. Joint custody?
Be well.
David
Sounds good, David - Every other weekend work for you?! I'll even meet you half-way.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 05-19-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The people there were not good at communication. I will never buy an HD again.
Sorry that happened to you. Not sure what happened. My experience was very different. When I bought mine, I had some setup questions. They were very helpful, Mark actually answered the phone one time I called and sent me one of his specialized truss rod tools.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Probably EI, traditional but robust, balanced sound. Mine was used and the setup was terrible. Plus being 12 fret I ran out of frets too soon. It didnt last long in my house. Great build and finish work, the idea of a small shop built guitar appealed to me, see who built it with a mirror inside. The people there were not good at communication. I will never buy an HD again.
Sorry to hear that, my experience was just the opposite. They were so helpful and friendly I felt like I was calling someone's home.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE

Sounds good, David - Every other weekend work for you?! I'll even meet you half-way.

Austin[/QUOTE]

Works for me, mate. But you own college.
I already put three through.
Music scholarship, maybe?
David
Old 05-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Great build and finish work, the idea of a small shop built guitar appealed to me, see who built it with a mirror inside. The people there were not good at communication. I will never buy an HD again.
I have only had the best of experiences with all members of the Huss and Dalton team, phone calls, emails, getting back to me on my questions - you name it.
Simply a first class, family owned and operated organization.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

OP here. Yesterday, I called the shop. Jeff Huss answered and gave me what I was looking for. Seemed like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with.
David
Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks, mate. I see that you have two, including a Crossroads. Is that like a Gibson L 00 size.Seems to have that mojo.
David
The Crossroads I have is the DS (dread slope). It's got the specs of A J45, but plays and sounds better than any J45 I have played. It has been my #1 six string since I got it. Only had it for a few years, but I have a deep bond with that one. Can't imagine anything better.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Indeed - I had a 2003 M-32 for years and sold it several years ago, along with my H&D CM, to fund some home repairs. Replaced it a couple years ago and then snagged the M-14 last year. Long time Lakewood fan. Nice collection you have there!

Austin
Thank you, you have quite the stellar collection yourself! Yes the M32 holds a special place in my collection and life, being my first acoustic and having it custom ordered with the magic symbol inlays in the rosette.

It may no longer be my best sounding guitar, but for its sound signature (Taylor leaning) it’s fantastic, the playability is top notch and their workmanship is excellent. I do feel Lakewoods are some of the better value guitars out there, if their sound is to your liking. Lower MSRP than boutique brands, and even slightly lower than comparably spec’d and built Taylors. It’s a shame they don’t have more dealers in the U.S.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 06-16-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
OP here. Yesterday, I called the shop. Jeff Huss answered and gave me what I was looking for. Seemed like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with.
David
OP, did you ever receive this guitar? Did I miss your NGD thread?
Old 06-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroboni View Post
OP, did you ever receive this guitar? Did I miss your NGD thread?
Hey, OP here, and thanks for reaching out. I did get it and wanted to spend some time with it before reporting back. Short review: sounds like the angels, a simple and elegant build, and the smell of it makes visions of sugar plums dance in my head.
Details to follow.
David
Old 06-30-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I just this moment realized how unpredictable my purchase habits are. I will research the bejesus out of a brand and model and keep a vigilant watch for one while scouring the world. There will be a few that I serious consider, and may inquire of. And then something out of the blue pops up and...
David
I have read this comment many times the last few months because it’s exactly what I do. I’m bringing this up now cause a T-00 14 Huss Dalton is in my cross hairs and about to pull…
Old 06-30-2022, 08:52 PM

I have a Tom-R and it's a great guitar, I expect you will be delighted!
Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamx View Post
I have read this comment many times the last few months because it’s exactly what I do. I’m bringing this up now cause a T-00 14 Huss Dalton is in my cross hairs and about to pull…
- - - pull - - -

Great resurrected thread on Huss and Dalton guitars -
We need more new posts on these fine guitars.
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 06-30-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
. Short review: sounds like the angels, a simple and elegant build, and the smell of it makes visions of sugar plums dance in my head.
loved that image of the dancing plums. huss and daltons are great guitars. hope you're still enjoying yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion