The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Default When adding effect, Is there an order to follow?

What should be the chain off effects?
Compression
than
reverb
than
EQ
than
??
Old 07-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

There is no set recipe. It largely depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish sonically.

Also time based FX like Verb or Delay, IMO should be placed in parallel, on a separate track and a portion of the raw audio is sent via a bus to the reverb track.

Tone shaping FX -EQ and Compression I usually place on the individual audio tracks as inserts on that track.

As far as Compression and EQ since I primarily do subtractive EQ ( For example I always "high pass filter" ( roll off the low end) to eliminate boom and mud in the lows.
So I place EQ first in the signal path, so I am not compressing low frequencies I am not going to use.

Additionally I like to place an EQ first on the Reverb track, and roll off both the low and high ends.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
There is no set recipe. It largely depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish sonically.

Also time based FX like Verb or Delay, IMO should be placed in parallel, on a separate track and a portion of the raw audio is sent via a bus to the reverb track.

Tone shaping FX -EQ and Compression I usually place on the individual audio tracks as inserts on that track.

As far as Compression and EQ since I primarily do subtractive EQ ( For example I always "high pass filter" ( roll off the low end) to eliminate boom and mud in the lows.
So I place EQ first in the signal path, so I am not compressing low frequencies I am not going to use.

Additionally I like to place an EQ first on the Reverb track, and roll off both the low and high ends.
At this point in my newie recordings... I'm recording the guitar and Vocals at the same time but separate mic's

So no multi-tracks as I'm learning to get mic placement and gain right so that the guitar and Vocals are similar levels..

So EQ would be first?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
At this point in my newie recordings... I'm recording the guitar and Vocals at the same time but separate mic's

So no multi-tracks as I'm learning to get mic placement and gain right so that the guitar and Vocals are similar levels..

So EQ would be first?
EQ can go anywhere, but you would normally put that directly on the track, so sort of "first".

A typical setup for me, just for a clean simple recording, no crazy effects would be:

EQ and possibly compression on the channel
Channel sends go to a reverb bus.
Master output buss has something like Ozone, which has a limiter, EQ, and other stuff. This affects everything, even the reverb.

The EQ on a channel is to make changes to that specific track - which might be different in a multi-track setup - while the EQ in Ozone applies to the overall mix.

You only have one track, so you can only apply EQ to everything. Ideally, you'd record the guitar and voice on separate tracks so you can EQ each one, apply different amounts of reverb, and so on, according to what sounds best on each.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
EQ can go anywhere, but you would normally put that directly on the track, so sort of "first".

A typical setup for me, just for a clean simple recording, no crazy effects would be:

EQ and possibly compression on the channel

Channel sends go to a reverb bus.

Master output buss has something like Ozone, which has a limiter, EQ, and other stuff. This affects everything, even the reverb.

The EQ on a channel is to make changes to that specific track - which might be different in a multi-track setup - while the EQ in Ozone applies to the overall mix.

You only have one track, so you can only apply EQ to everything. Ideally, you'd record the guitar and voice on separate tracks so you can EQ each one, apply different amounts of reverb, and so on, according to what sounds best on each.
Thank You thats a good direction for me, im using a Zoom R8
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

1. Volume balancing R and L channels of the stereo track or to taste if working with separate mono tracks.
2. Possible delay on one channel (usually in the 0.1 to 0.3 millisecond range) if helps sound.
3. Equalization (usually some bass roll off even if nothing else done).
4. Effects (which for me is just a reverb or a mix of two or three reverbs).

I don't use compression.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post

So EQ would be first?
Yes that is what I would start with EQ first . ( can you post a screen of your DAW mixer window ?)
Even if you record at the same time (If it were me), I would have each mic going to its own mono track. I would have an EQ first on each track, and maybe a compressor on the vocal mic track.
I would still as I suggested and Doug reiterated, have the reverb on it's own track and send the vocal and the guitar to it separately
This allows you to EQ the guitar and vocal separately. And can also control the amount of reverb separately as well, by using the send levels separately on the vocal track and the guitar track

To do this you can set the reverb track level to -0- db (unity gain) and the reverb mix level to 100% wet , then adjust the send levels (say -14 db to start with, for the guitar and maybe -12 or -10 on the vocal ) then fine tune the two send levels to get just the amount of reverb balanced so that it sounds like the vocal and the guitar are in the same space.

This is what my session would look like
opps too small I will re do snap shots in a new post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I will always add reverb last, if I use it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Here are the tracks and the send levels and the Reverb settings (these are not set in stone just suggested starting points to try

Here are the EQs for the two tracks

Here is what I like for EQ on reverb

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-05-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Here's a quote from a Berklee Online article about choosing the order of EQ and compression plugins.
"As a rule, using EQ in front of your compressor produces a warmer, rounder tone, while using EQ after your compressor produces a cleaner, clearer sound. So, the question you need to ask yourself for each channel in your mix is, “Do I want to EQ the compressed signal or do I want to compress the EQed signal? What sound do I want for this signal?”
https://online.berklee.edu/takenote/...r-compression/

A general rule of thumb I follow is that tonal effect plugins (EQ, compression, saturation, etc) are inserted directly on the channel strip while time based effect plugins (reverb, delay, chorus, etc.) are sent via busses to aux channels. The exception is when you want to do parallel processing with the former as well as the latter.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I'd be very careful with compression - you can get away with a lot of it on vocals and it can definitely help smooth out a vocal track. On guitar a little goes a *long* way, and often isn't needed at all (other than in a possible final mastering pass, where almost everything tends to have some). Another reason to record to separate tracks, hopefully with little or no bleed between them.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I'd be very careful with compression - you can get away with a lot of it on vocals and it can definitely help smooth out a vocal track. On guitar a little goes a *long* way, and often isn't needed at all (other than in a possible final mastering pass, where almost everything tends to have some). Another reason to record to separate tracks, hopefully with little or no bleed between them.
I've got to read the zoom manual on doing more than one track, ill keep this thread updated, Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I concur as per my screen shots I don't use compression on guitar tracks and even on vocals I typically use only a 2:1 to 3:1, maybe 4:1 ratio
just enough to begin to move it slightly forward in the sound field (or sometimes not at all) , and a relatively slow attack and release. Although I do tend to run every session through my Mix Bus, analog variable mu, mastering tube comp., again set very mild . Which seems to me (and maybe it's just conformation bias) adds just a bit more 3 D depth and presence

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-06-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 AM

The need for compression/limiting on guitar tracks depends very much on musical style and dynamics, not to mention the particulars of recording approach, room size, mic placement etc. While I wholeheartedly agree that a little compression goes a long way and may not be needed at all for less dynamic instrumental guitar styles there are instances when it's a better option than digital clipping.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
The need for compression/limiting on guitar tracks depends very much on musical style and dynamics, not to mention the particulars of recording approach, room size, mic placement etc. While I wholeheartedly agree that a little compression goes a long way and may not be needed at all for less dynamic instrumental guitar styles there are instances when it's a better option than digital clipping.
To manage a digital clip I would use a limiter (or a compressor used in the same fashion as a limiter).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD