The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default why the move to pickups?

So, awhile back, everyone played their guitar into a microphone. Now, so many use pickups. I understand the attraction of being able to move around, but what else?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
So, awhile back, everyone played their guitar into a microphone. Now, so many use pickups. I understand the attraction of being able to move around, but what else?
That was 50 years ago. The reason people used mics is there weren’t pickups.

Ed
Old 05-29-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:

A mic can sound great at low volumes with a quiet seated audience. Once people start standing, or talking, or dancing or partying...a mic just can’t get loud enough without feeding back.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

In combo situations we suffered through mics. I'm glad for good pickups.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks for the thoughts. So mostly it's about volume. If I'm doing a solo concert in a small room, with a quiet listening audience, using a mic is still a good option.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 AM

Even in your last description of a performance situation I would use both internal pickup and external microphone. They will give a fuller, more comprehensive sound allowing you to blend the best of both.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Well, there WERE pickups back then. I used a Bill Lawrence playing coffee houses and "hoots". Gain before feedback is the main reason many stage performers use pickups. Acoustic fidelity is the reason many don't.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. So mostly it's about volume. If I'm doing a solo concert in a small room, with a quiet listening audience, using a mic is still a good option.
Under those circumstances, I would say yes - if it is positioned and EQd properly.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Under those circumstances, I would say yes - if it is positioned and EQd properly.
And you stay as still as a statue whilst playing.....
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM

I think at this point, it doesn't make any sense to use an external mic. I know some people blend them in but they still rely mostly on internal electronics.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Well, there WERE pickups back then. I used a Bill Lawrence playing coffee houses and "hoots". Gain before feedback is the main reason many stage performers use pickups. Acoustic fidelity is the reason many don't.
There were also D’Armond pickups. Most of these soundhole pickups were just wound coil pickups in a housing that would fit in a soundhole. They made an acoustic guitar sound like an electric guitar. There was Barcus Berry, but they required someone who understood impedance and preamps... and still sounded quacky. Then there were other folks who just had wound pickups installed on their acoustics. Pickups have advanced a long way since then.

Ed
Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Been through all of it over the years. A good microphone sounds best but you are stuck there, not moving. They do that in bluegrass music, though. Soundhole pickups used to sound awful but have improved much, and I have several. One soundhole pickup has a condenser mic built in, I forget which one. I like the Baggs Lyric, it sounds the most like my guitar but permits movement. Feeds back if playing with a loud band, so keep a soundhole plug handy.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM

Pickups allow for more nuanced playing styles to be heard in less-than-ideal listening circumstances. The guy who sold me my first pickup was a veteran of the New England bar circuit and a four time runner-up at the Winfield fingerstyle contest.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

An additional reason is that now days anybody and everybody thinks they are sound tech because the can afford a PA. Most are not. So pick-ups make for less of a chance of them screwing it up to badly.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Antaren...
If I'm playing to a quiet group in a small room, I'm not using ANY amplification.

Pickups in my guitars are not just about volume, but about high quality, natural sound at a volume which is appropriate to the crowd/room.

The pickup rigs in my guitars sound very guitar-like, and sound great at every volume/sound level. They also open up opportunities beyond solo play...so I can play with combos and bands and choirs etc where I'd not be heard with just an external mic.

Good luck figuring out what's best for you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification