The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Carvin AG200 Extension Speaker Issue/Question

I recently acquired a Peavey 1X12 speaker cabinet loaded with one 12" Blue Marvel speaker (16 Ohms).

My Carvin AG200 amp (which I love) has an extension speaker out connector, and according to Carvin:

The AG200 has one 1/4" extension speaker output connector, which is connected in parallel with the internal 8 ohm speakers. You may connect another speaker with an impedance of 8 ohms or higher.

However, when I connect the Peavey cabinet to the AG200 only the Blue Marvel works, with the on-board drivers shutting off. The Blue Marvel sounds great, but aren't the on-board speakers also suppose to work along with the external speaker?

Are the internal speakers turning off because of the impedance mismatch (which I don't think should happen), or is there something else going on here?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM

Default ag200 extension

I'm guessing that's not it. I have an AG300 with an AG200 extension speaker - the extension is actually 16ohm according to the label on the back - and it works just fine. (It's probably not as loud as it would be if I was running a second 8ohm cabinet but it's clean and I won't blow anything when I crank it.)

Are you sure that you're plugged into the extension speaker out jack rather than the phones/tuner jack? I believe that one will turn off the internal speakers. If not there's something else going on...

Last edited by Brian NY; 05-28-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian NY View Post
I'm guessing that's not it. I have an AG300 with an AG200 extension speaker - the extension is actually 16ohm according to the label on the back - and it works just fine. (It's probably not as loud as it would be if I was running a second 8ohm cabinet but it's clean and I won't blow anything when I crank it.)

Are you sure that you're plugged into the extension speaker out jack rather than the phones/tuner jack? I believe that one will turn off the internal speakers. If not there's something else going on...
Hi Brian:

Thanks for the reply and for the confirmation. I am definitely plugging the Peavey cabinet into the extension speaker out, so there is likely an issue with my extension speaker output connector. Fortunately, I really never need to have both the on-board speakers and an extension speaker working at the same time, so I doubt I'll do anything about it. (The amp sounds great).

If the Carvin alone is not enough for a venue, I'll run into my BBE Acoustimax, and then into the house PA. Sounds great, and MUCH easier.

Thanks again for confirming I wasn't having an impedance mismatch issue.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Ed have you tried some different cables?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Ed have you tried some different cables?
Interesting question. I have not. I only have one speaker cable. It's a pretty high quality 14 gauge six footer.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Are you plugged into the effects loop out? That would bypass the amp power section entirely. Ask me how I know.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I recently acquired a Peavey 1X12 speaker cabinet loaded with one 12" Blue Marvel speaker (16 Ohms).

My Carvin AG200 amp (which I love) has an extension speaker out connector, and according to Carvin:

The AG200 has one 1/4" extension speaker output connector, which is connected in parallel with the internal 8 ohm speakers. You may connect another speaker with an impedance of 8 ohms or higher.

However, when I connect the Peavey cabinet to the AG200 only the Blue Marvel works, with the on-board drivers shutting off. The Blue Marvel sounds great, but aren't the on-board speakers also suppose to work along with the external speaker?

Are the internal speakers turning off because of the impedance mismatch (which I don't think should happen), or is there something else going on here?
This is a long shot, but possible:

1) When connecting additional passive speakers to an amplified speaker circuit, the Ohm rating of the original speakers and the extension speakers can change, depending on whether the speakers are connected in series, in parallel or a hybrid of in series/parallel.

2) Some power amp systems have a defeating circuit where they will not power speakers if the Ohm rating is too low (e.g., 2 Ohms instead of 4 Ohms or higher).
Old 05-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Another issue you may run into is mismatched speaker sensitivity. That is why it is so much better to have the matching speaker. one speaker can be louder than the other.

I have some Peavey monitor wedges that suck power. I'm sure if I hooked them to my AG300 theywouldn't be nearly a large. I lent my AG300 to a friend who used it like a powered extension speaker. Used the line out from his Genz Benz. Worked great once he had the amps balanced.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Tonight I unplugged everything (power cord on both ends, and all connecting cables), then I reversed the cables, and plugged everything back in. After this, the on-board drivers and the extension speaker both worked. YAY! Wow - as good as the AG200 sounds on its own, it sounds even better with the addition of a 12" speaker.

BTW, I have recently gotten back into playing solid-body electric guitar, and the Carvin sounds surprisingly good as an electric guitar amp. I remember being told by Carvin when I purchased the amp that it would work as an electric guitar amp. When doing so, they recommended using the amp's Hi-Z setting with passive pickups, being sure to tweak the EQ, and to find the correct frequency setting for the mids. They were spot on...Sounds great! Fantastic amp.

Thanks again.

Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification