The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM

I have been able to evaluate the Dazzo a bit, before trying it with ToneDexter.

I have K+K pure minis in all other guitars, so I am very familiar with that sound.

Initial impressions of the Dazzo: it is a nice step (but not a huge step) beyond the K+K. The K+K has a warm and midrange strong sound with significantly less quack than most piezo pickups. The Dazzo reduces the quack to even lower levels, and seems to even out the response.

I feel the Dazzo sound is more high fidelity and present and balanced. I can see why the Sunnaudio or Grace preamps are favored with the Dazzo - there is a pristine quality I am hearing that goes well with a high quality guitar.

Finally, there is an immediacy to the sound and response of the Dazzo that I really enjoy. Sounds like placing my ear inside the soundhole.

I am now confident that the Dazzo is able to drive the ToneDexter at least as well as the K+K.

I plan to try making WaveMaps this weekend to see how the Dazzo sounds driving ToneDexter. I will update then.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Are you using the internal sunnaudio preamp?
I have two stand alone SunnAudio products. An open mic of witch I'm a regular needed a DI because too many people were showing up and just plugging into the PA. Since there are occasional duos, I had SunnAudio build me a Blender DI in a box. We have run the gamut of whatever guitars show up, and it has sounded great with all of them. Active Taylors go direct to the board, though if you cut the guitar output volume they go through the Blender DI just fine.

Since I donated that Blender DI to the cause, I bought the Stage DI for myself to use when I play at home or elsewhere. I have Dazzos in five guitars, so that was the financially prudent thing to do.

I had been a dedicated RedEye user. Previous comments are on the money. The SunnAudio just sounds better.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification