The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Kinnaird Guitars: LS Redwood/Claro Walnut SJ

We've had a lot of fun posting the "pic of the day" thread which gives a snapshot of life in our shop. But I've missed the beginning-to-end discipline that a build thread imposes, as well as the thrill of seeing a guitar get born. So here goes.

A few months back, Steve Doyon and I began the discussion about this proposed instrument and what it should be. Steve already has some very nice guitars (remember his Olson thread?) so initially we discussed what "holes" in his collection he needed to fill. We went from Dan to Beersheba discussing details until we settled on an LS redwood top, with Claro Walnut back/sides in our SJ model. Pics in a moment, but I wanted to get this thread rolling.
I hope you enjoy watching these pieces of wood become a musical instrument, and thanks for looking.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 04-20-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

As said, we covered a lot of ground discussing wood. Early on, LS redwood got the nod for the top. This sent a shiver of joy up my spine because I like redwood so well. Here is the top that was chosen:

IMG_1272.jpg

What I hope is visible from this pic is the very tight grain, with plenty of silking on display. What you see here color-wise is not extreme runout, but rather a wash of shellac on the right side to give an idea of color.
I've been sitting on this piece since bought from Craig Carter, just waiting for the right project. This redwood really is remarkable and promises to make an exceptional guitar.
Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 04-21-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Redundancy. Again.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 PM

Can’t wait to see this progress, Steve! I’ll be experiencing it at the same time as my fellow AGF’ers!

Despite my last minute second thoughts, Steve has been very patient as he guided me through the various selections. There are still a few final details to pon down, but I am beyond excited to be getting my first Kinnaird!!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Oh, I remember that first Kinnaird feeling. I’m happy to report, although the build is a great experience, beyond delivery it gets even better.

Congrats S2. Looks like a special wood combo. Look forward to watching.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:30 AM

This will be fun to follow. LOVE LS Redwood!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Another great guitar to follow!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the encouragement guys, we'll try not to let you down.
So, when it came to the back and sides, the discussion was even more thorough. Rosewood? (Steve just got the Olson...) Mahogany? (Already got that too...) So around we went talking about different species and their contribution to sound. And often it came down to comparisons:
Rosewood-like? Mahogany-like? More of this...less of that?
Frankly, I enjoy this stage, and we had some fun emailing.
When Claro Walnut got the nod, we dove into the wood locker, and started looking for "his" set. Here are some of the options, for you wood guys:

IMG_1605.jpg

This set ^ came from Pacific Rim tonewoods in Washington. I dearly hope to see them at the La Conner festival. Next up:

IMG_1607.jpg

This set ^ came from Bruce Creps, who supplies some of the best Walnut as well as Koa. Oh, to spend a week in his shop.....

But the winner is:

IMG_1606.jpg

Also from Bruce's lair, we've had this set since the last millennium. I love it's dark luster, deep curl and fine marbling. This set, we told Steve, has been saved for a special project, and are glad to use it for his guitar.
Thanks for looking,
Steve K

Old 04-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Looks wise...I can't help vote for W-5 the middle one. The highly flamed and Sapwood curve(instead of the standard straight) would produce a beautifully flowing lines. To me this alone says=musical
Old 04-21-2018, 10:45 AM

Ha, I would have gone for the first one if only because of the wizard wearing his hat and his long flowing beard. Please tell me I am not the only one to see him!!! To give you a hint his eyes and face are in the darker section, the flow of the beard is obvious and then his pointed hat!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Actually, I saw an alien from the Star Wars bar ..... but my vote is definitely with W1.
Steve
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Actually, I saw an alien from the Star Wars bar ..... but my vote is definitely with W1.
Steve

Or is it actually Chewbacca???? Could be. You chose the perfect set, it is beautiful!!! Congrats!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM

I think I see an old man as well, Tom!

As for the sets - while they were all interesting, this is one where there is only one vote - mine! Haha! Seriously, this was tough as Steve has a fantastic wood locker, and he showed me many many sets - he has boiled down to my final claro picks, but we reviewed a lot more. Can’t wait to see this coming together!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
I think I see an old man as well, Tom!

As for the sets - while they were all interesting, this is one where there is only one vote - mine! Haha! Seriously, this was tough as Steve has a fantastic wood locker, and he showed me many many sets - he has boiled down to my final claro picks, but we reviewed a lot more. Can’t wait to see this coming together!
Yes, sorry, user names a little too close there for me haha. Yes YOU chose the correct set because it is beautiful and because this is yours! I am so glad you decided to go with the Kinnaird, you will be very happy. Some of their latest builds like the Spanish Cedar have blown my mind!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Well- Steve knows from our discussions that I love the fragrance of guitars - and if he hides a little bit of that cedar inside my guitar - all the better!! Haha!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, sorry, user names a little too close there for me haha. Yes YOU chose the correct set because it is beautiful and because this is yours! I am so glad you decided to go with the Kinnaird, you will be very happy. Some of their latest builds like the Spanish Cedar have blown my mind!
Thanks, Tom! Most of you won't know this, but it was based partially on Tom's suggestions that I contacted Steve for this build. I'm very glad you helped steer me in this direction, Tom!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop