The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 AM

K&K's are widely used with Tonedexter (I have them on my guitars) and they work very well. Very sorry about the difficulty of buying them in the UK, but people do seem to find a work-around because they are showing up over there. Maybe they are just biting the bullet and spending the pounds (or Euros). But nothing can compete with them IMHO.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm kinda surprised you haven't considered using a microphone on a stand. A Shure SM-81 on a stand blows away any sound hole or piezo pickup I've played!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I'm kinda surprised you haven't considered using a microphone on a stand. A Shure SM-81 on a stand blows away any sound hole or piezo pickup I've played!
I agree, but much as I'd like to there's a fair percentage of what I do that involves noisy so-and-so's on electrics with big pedalboards and bigger stacks, wattage obsessed bass players, heavy handed drummers and poor engineers in small clubs. And I am 3 out of those 4 at various times as well

Plus I'm terrible at keeping still
Martin 000-15me
Taylor 355CE
Garrison G4
Gretsch 3700
Busker Tricone
Gretsch G6128TCG
Custom handmade Telecaster
Epiphone 335 Dot
Tokai Springy-Sound Strat
Squire Silver Series Japanese Telecaster
Bass things -
Dingwall Z3
Rob Allen MB-2 5 string
Ibanez SRF700
Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
K&K's are widely used with Tonedexter (I have them on my guitars) and they work very well. Very sorry about the difficulty of buying them in the UK, but people do seem to find a work-around because they are showing up over there. Maybe they are just biting the bullet and spending the pounds (or Euros). But nothing can compete with them IMHO.
Looking back at your posts I've now realised I should have picked this up. Doh!

Thanks for all the info. They can be sourced to the UK - Audio Sprockets ship direct - but it's the wait and customs duty faffage that's annoying. Long distance returns in the event of it not working out (doubtful by the sound of it) are also always a worry.

Anyway, think I may need to go and take a hammer to the piggy bank now.
Martin 000-15me
Taylor 355CE
Garrison G4
Gretsch 3700
Busker Tricone
Gretsch G6128TCG
Epiphone 335 Dot
Bass things -
Dingwall Z3
Rob Allen MB-2 5 string
Ibanez SRF700
Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 AM

OK, two months on if anyone's interested with the outcome..

I got the K&K pure mini fitted (by a local luthier who is pretty special) and although he had to fit them in different positions to the recommended ones I was delighted with the sound straight off the bat.

For the most part I can dial in exactly what I want with just the EQ on my existing Fishman Aura Spectrum, and despite being made for a piezo there are actually a couple of the body images (Guild maple sided ones) that work pretty well if I want a bit extra body.

Thanks for the advice everyone who weighed in with advice. Still tempted by the Tonedexter but it's become more of a luxury than necessity at the moment.
Martin 000-15me
Taylor 355CE
Garrison G4
Gretsch 3700
Busker Tricone
Gretsch G6128TCG
Epiphone 335 Dot
Bass things -
Dingwall Z3
Rob Allen MB-2 5 string
Ibanez SRF700
Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 AM

There are also some solutions by at least K&K and DPA which are basically small mics that attach (clamp on, so to speak) outside the body of the guitar. Doug Young has also demoed these. That may be a good solution for someone who really wishes he had his guitar externally miced but doesn't want big mics and mic stands in the equation.

Also be aware Doug Young is basically exclusively a finger picker, so if you happen to strum fairy hard on some songs, that may affect things.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmew View Post
They can be sourced to the UK - Audio Sprockets ship direct - but it's the wait and customs duty faffage that's annoying. Long distance returns in the event of it not working out (doubtful by the sound of it) are also always a worry.
I bought my Tonedexter via eBayUK and ShorelineMusic. I can definitely recommend them, it took only 2 weeks for the parcel to arrive and you pay all the taxes and custom charges in advance, straight on eBay, so you don't get any unpleasant surprises from the customs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification