The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Looks great so far, Mark--awesome woods!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here are a couple pictures of the back coming together. This is a cedar center graft being glued up and the shaped:

We decided to use Cocobolo for the binding and trim. It's my personal favorite with Koa because the red in it does a great job bringing up the warmth of the Koa colors. Here is a picture of a previous guitar done with this combination and a couple pictures of the back center strip on Tom's guitar:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
Is that maple bordering the Cocobolo?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Is that maple bordering the Cocobolo?
Yes, the purfling lines bordering the center strip are black wood/maple/black wood. These lines will also be on the back inside the binding and will be mitered in to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks great so far, Mark--awesome woods!
Thanks Nemoman!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Logo

Time to get out the branding iron:

I've usually use Koa for my logo wood chip. I have a little sapwood on this one to tie in with future elements.

Thanks for viewing,
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Time to get out the branding iron:

I've usually use Koa for my logo wood chip. I have a little sapwood on this one to tie in with future elements.

Thanks for viewing,
Mark
This is what is so cool about you and the many other talented luthiers presenting their work here on the AGF, picking just the right section of wood to include some sapwood (that will be inside of the guitar!!!) to tie into other things you have planned for this guitar. This is an attention to detail that us non-visionaries would probably not even think of. Thanks Mark for building this guitar for me....
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Looking good guys!
Quick question Mark, in your opinion, what is the easiest form of cutaway to do? Is it the Florentine, or Venetian? Do you have a preference?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-23-2016, 04:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Looking good guys!
Quick question Mark, in your opinion, what is the easiest form of cutaway to do? Is it the Florentine, or Venetian? Do you have a preference?
Thanks Zandiy75,

There is substantially more work on a Florentine cutaway. There are additional mitre joints, the internal support wedge, and time spent keeping the grain lines aligned. However, a tight S turn on a small radius Venetian cutaway can be a real challenge especially with a highly figured wood or a wood that puts up a fight when bending like Wenge or a soft mahogany.
So the answer is: it depends.

Hope that helps!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back Braces and Rosette

Here is a picture of the Western Red Cedar back braces being layed out before installation;

When making my lightest guitars with the most active backs cedar back braces are what I use.

Here is the rosette coming together. The center is Koa mottled sapwood. The border purfling is the same as what will be with the binding on top;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Here is a picture of the Western Red Cedar back braces being layed out before installation;

When making my lightest guitars with the most active backs cedar back braces are what I use.

Here is the rosette coming together. The center is Koa mottled sapwood. The border purfling is the same as what will be with the binding on top;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
I certainly can attest to the responsiveness of Mark's red cedar lattice bracing. When Greta arrived, I lifted the lid and there was a beautiful, musical "whooshing" sound that instantly emerged. Even without having her strings touched, Greta was ready to sing.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks Zandiy75,

There is substantially more work on a Florentine cutaway. There are additional mitre joints, the internal support wedge, and time spent keeping the grain lines aligned. However, a tight S turn on a small radius Venetian cutaway can be a real challenge especially with a highly figured wood or a wood that puts up a fight when bending like Wenge or a soft mahogany.
So the answer is: it depends.

Hope that helps!
Mark
Thanks Mark, though it's not as clear cut as I thought it would be!!
Appreciate the input!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
I certainly can attest to the responsiveness of Mark's red cedar lattice bracing. When Greta arrived, I lifted the lid and there was a beautiful, musical "whooshing" sound that instantly emerged. Even without having her strings touched, Greta was ready to sing.
Thanks ukejon!

A very responsive, lightly built guitar does have a living presence to it. Even when sitting on a stand it seems to be a live participant as it comments on the activities in the room. I don't mean to get all woo woo here. Those who own this type of guitar know what I mean.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-24-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Beauty buddy, plain and simple, beauty....no animals lurking that I can see. I do know the sides look like Mark opened a can of golden paint and poured it down the sides....

Hope you are well and continuing to play play play!!!
Thanks Tom! University is taking its toll on me and I'm not playing as much as I would like but I do try to squeeze in whatever hours I can get!

The guitar is coming along so beautifully. Congrats to Mark and you

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Tom and Mark, I've owned a couple of Parlor guitars and in each case they left me "wanting more"....generally in the tone category. I've really never even given a thought to having one built for that reason alone. But...as I look at this thread, I'm pulled more in the direction of contemplating it again. I can see that the experience Tom is having and will have is one worth pursuing. Not only the visual beauty of the woods, but the care taken in the build process and the attention to the details and imagination that others don't even give thought to.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see how it develops, and most importantly to hear Tom's feedback upon it's completion. The is an absolutely gorgeous guitar coming together. I can almost hear the music coming out of it already

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Tom and Mark, I've owned a couple of Parlor guitars and in each case they left me "wanting more"....generally in the tone category. I've really never even given a thought to having one built for that reason alone. But...as I look at this thread, I'm pulled more in the direction of contemplating it again. I can see that the experience Tom is having and will have is one worth pursuing. Not only the visual beauty of the woods, but the care taken in the build process and the attention to the details and imagination that others don't even give thought to.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see how it develops, and most importantly to hear Tom's feedback upon it's completion. The is an absolutely gorgeous guitar coming together. I can almost hear the music coming out of it already
Thanks for the very kind words all around. Take a listen to this Hatcher Parlor if you have not already. This video alone went a long way towards making my decision to have Mark build a parlor for me....I was blown away by the base response he could get out of such a small box and it was one of the things I emphasized in my wish list with Mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCTJwzM7j0

If someone knows how to import the actual video, thank you ahead of time for doing that for me....
Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the very kind words all around. Take a listen to this Hatcher Parlor if you have not already. This video alone went a long way towards making my decision to have Mark build a parlor for me....I was blown away by the base response he could get out of such a small box and it was one of the things I emphasized in my wish list with Mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCTJwzM7j0

If someone knows how to import the actual video, thank you ahead of time for doing that for me....
That sounds wonderful Great playing and great sound. I just found myself wanting to sout out (at my computer) "PLAY FREE BIRD"

The thing is that Mike would probably pull it out of his hat and NAIL it. Better I don't know.

Good luck, Tom. Not that you need with Mark.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop