The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default New beginnings...John Kinnaird Build #2.4.ME

Well, just like Lays Potato chips, I couldn't stop with just one. I actually discussed this idea with several very notable and talented builders, but I had to roll with John. He did such a GREAT job on the last build, it just made sense to have him do the next one also.

This will be one of John's "West Coast" designs with a Florentine cutaway and a sound port. We've decided on Sinker Redwood for the top, and African Blackwood for the back and sides. Although I don't recall seeing that combination, I'm really excited about the possibilities. It will be slightly more "edgy" with a segmented Rosette and some less traditional approaches throughout.

It will also have an arm bevel and a rib bevel for added comfort as I expect to be hanging out around the fireplace with this one and want it as 'comfy" as possible. Of course, the "edgy" stuff will be mixed with some traditional touches in what I hope will be a complete package tastefully presented.

So, here are the wood choices:

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 12-05-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Whoa, great news! African Blackwood + Redwood is, supposedly, George Lowden's personal favorite.

Look forward to following potato chip #2 along.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Wow--how cool is that to have another custom build with John! I didn't commission my first Stehr as I bought it used, but I was so impressed with it that I had Joel build me another one which is still in progress. It says a lot that you would have a second guitar built for you by the same luthier--I know that first one was a real stunner!

I'm considering having Sinker Redwood over Malaysian Blackwood for my next custom build, so I'll be following this with interest. I look forward to hearing all about it as it progresses. Congrats, Woody!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM

Congrats on your new build. ABW ad sinker redwood is a really cool combo, should look and sound great!!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Default new Kinnaird

You will have an excellent guitar and have a lot of fun in the planning and constructions phases as well as playing it. There is no one - no one - better than John to work with.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats on the new build! This one is going to be a stunner! Two Kinnairds in one year. That's like Irish twins or something isn't it? Your cup runneth over.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-03-2015, 07:39 PM

That wood combo makes a beautiful looking and sounding guitar, sure it will be a nice one, have fun.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good call, Mike! I'm sure my brother's guitar will put another smile on your face.
And the wood choices...perfect.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Woody!

I love your wood choices too. This is going to be fun to watch!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. Yes Ryan, Irish twins indeed...albeit these two will not be identical twins lol. Just the Rosette ideas alone are enough to make John pull his hair out....which I might add, is something he doesn't want to do because he is like me...not all that much left up there to pull out ha!

When John suggested ABW, I had really thought Macassar was the more logical choice because I've seen it used so much. But, after thinking about it and hearing you guys chime in I'm glad I agreed with his logic, and I am pretty charged to see how this turns out. Macassar has the "coordinating color" advantage, but I optimistically think ABW has the potential of the "stellar tone advantage". And lets see...what is it that makes me keep guitars?? TONE. The looks draw me in, but the tone seals the deal.

With a 15 5/8 lower bout, it won't be a small guitar nor will it be super large...just "about right" I think. Hopefully the size and woods make it very versatile and RICH with tone. My Brazilian/Alpine build set the bar pretty high, so John has his hands full to have a chance to raise the bar again.

I like our chances .

Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Yikes

I'm feeling intimidated by an earlier tonal success. And yes, this rosette will be the demise of what scant hair I have left. At least I won't go grey on top.

Black wood will go with anything and this top will finish out really dark, so it's like dressing up a tux. I'm thinking coco bolo binding but must clear that with Woody.😅
Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I'm feeling intimidated by an earlier tonal success. And yes, this rosette will be the demise of what scant hair I have left. At least I won't go grey on top.

Black wood will go with anything and this top will finish out really dark, so it's like dressing up a tux. I'm thinking coco bolo binding but must clear that with Woody.��
Ah, now, come on John. Nothing intimidates you. Heck, you've got...let's see...over 120 guitars under your belt covering at least 30+ years of building?? You've seen all of the possibilities before and I'm certain this one will be just as great as the last in it's own special way

Looking forward to the result which will be nothing less than spectacular!

And...yes I like coco binding very much .

Last edited by invguy921; 07-04-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Just a quick update with a picture of the top together and a sneak peak at the beginnings of a Rosette...

Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM

Hello Cousin,

That is really nice. The sinker top is amazing...finish will make it even richer...
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John sent me a couple of pictures of some of the "pieces parts" in process that will ultimately become the rosette of this guitar....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop