The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to thank the OP for the work done and suggest that the songs be listed by the number of chords that they require.

As a raw newbie, I'll be looking for songs I can do with the fewest possible.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Very useful for me. Thank You!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I've update the list with ~10 more easy guitar songs.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to the way they are listed? Should I separate them into categories, genres etc.. or just leave them the way they are at the moment?
HI,

I can see this becoming a useful resource if you do quite a bit more work on it. The main thing I would develop is some sort of attempt at difficulty ranking. For instance, to rank both Blowing in the Wind and, say, Hotel California, in the same group is not very helpful for a beginner. I teach some beginners and I wouldn't dream of suggesting HC for quite a long time with the need for barre chords in the recognised version. This applies to some others I have had a quick look at (and I agree with the earlier comment on James Taylor, where technique rather than 'knowing the chords' is crucial).

I know it would be a lot more work, but, if you really wanted to add value, for some of the more difficult songs you could suggest a transposed version so that beginners CAN have a go; that's what I do for mine; search out the key that allows them to have a go at songs they like rather than rule them out simply because the original key is too difficult. (e.g. HC as above can be played much more easily starting with Am as the opening chord; not a barre chord in sight).

Hope this gives you some ideas to develop your project. Its worth doing if you have the time and energy for it; but I would definitely look at adding value to it as above rather than just increase the (endless) list of songs. If beginners have a look and in the first few songs they look at they can't do them, they will move elsewhere for their resource.

Happy (busy?) New Year
Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Default My First Guitar Song

Hi guys,

For those of you interested, I have re-arranged the website and split it into two sections: Very Easy Guitar Songs and Easy Guitar Songs. Hopefully this makes it easier to find song to suit your playing ability.

Thanks for FatFingerJohn and other for recommending the improvements.

If anyone has any songs they would like to see on the website (or any other suggestions) please let me know.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscat1 View Post
This link doesn't connect to a real website, but to some yahoo search site.
Works GREAT for me...check your input
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM

First off, thank you. Anyone who does anything to help beginners is great. And there is a lot of 3-4 chord guitar song sites out there. Justinguitar, Munson music, 3 chord guitar.com, etc. After awhile all these songs sound the same. The hardest thing for me has always been to make them sound more like the original when I have a crappy music ear. A simple strumming pattern example with maybe a stepdown or fill would be great. Sometimes this can be found on you tube and sometimes no.
Sorry if I got carries away here. I only meant to say thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
First off, thank you. Anyone who does anything to help beginners is great. And there is a lot of 3-4 chord guitar song sites out there. Justinguitar, Munson music, 3 chord guitar.com, etc. After awhile all these songs sound the same. The hardest thing for me has always been to make them sound more like the original when I have a crappy music ear. A simple strumming pattern example with maybe a stepdown or fill would be great. Sometimes this can be found on you tube and sometimes no.
Sorry if I got carries away here. I only meant to say thanks.
Your welcome. That is exactly why I made the website - I always ran out of songs to learn and was forever searching google for easy guitar songs for beginners. I have made a lot of changes to the website recently and added a lot more songs.

I'm looking for ideas on how I can improve the website. I was thinking of adding a "Chords" page and creating videos on how to play the basic major and minor chords. What's your thoughts? I'm also looking for some ideas on how I could arrange the songs better to stop it turning into one long confusing list.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 AM

As a fingerpicker it really ticks me off to see posts like this. Lets get it straight, these are NOT tabs. They just list chords, and are useless for those looking to learn to pick melodies.

If you don't know what tabs are, do a little research. This particular site is pointed to in almost every tab search, and as near as I can tell, there isn't a single tab posted on it anywhere.

Yes its a matter of terminology, but if you can't get it right then you can't talk about the subject with any degree of precision.

As an aside, if you know of any real tabs I'd like to see the URL's.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood flower View Post
As a fingerpicker it really ticks me off to see posts like this. Lets get it straight, these are NOT tabs. They just list chords, and are useless for those looking to learn to pick melodies.

If you don't know what tabs are, do a little research. This particular site is pointed to in almost every tab search, and as near as I can tell, there isn't a single tab posted on it anywhere.

Yes its a matter of terminology, but if you can't get it right then you can't talk about the subject with any degree of precision.

Wow... No coffee yet?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke View Post
Wow... No coffee yet?
Well as a matter of fact, no, but I stand by what I said. After countless tab searches, only to find lyrics (too often wrong) annotated with chords (too often wrong), I've pretty much given up on the internet as a source.

That being said, there IS value to the OP's efforts, if what you want is the chord progessions and lyrics as an aid to singing.

I also believe that when a mistake is made it needs to be pointed out, else it will continue to be made. I don't mean to be hard on the OP or anyone else, that's just my nature. I wasn't called "Sergeant Rock" for nothing.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood flower View Post

To the OP...thank you. Good site IMO.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM

I'm new to the forums (my first post) and I think this is great. Thanks for your efforts. I tend to download these to my iPad when I find something I like so I'll pick through these and grab those that are of interest.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Smile Beginner guitar Player

I have finally decided to try learning the guitar again; this is my 4th attempt. Already I’m a bit frustrated by the progress and I've forgotten all the chords I used to know (although I didn’t know many to begin with). I’d like to make the most progress with the least effort in the shortest time. Are there any really easy beginning chords that anyone can recommend?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write