The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Set-up tools?

What sort of tool kit would y'all recommend for tasks such as checking/adjusting string height, neck adjustment, intonation, pick-up height for electric guitars, and whatever else I'm overlooking? I'd like to get a little more hands on, self-sufficient. Also, info resources?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Post deleted

Last edited by JKMartin; 11-04-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:30 PM

My advice is to buy specific tools for specific jobs and only those that you need or that speed your work, if speed is important for you.

A basic setup includes the following:

1. adjusting truss rod
2. adjusting nut slots
3. adjusting bridge/saddle height
4. adjusting intonation

Tools required for each of these are as follows:

1. Adjusting truss rod

The starting point is to determine if the relief in the neck needs adjustment. This can be done using a straight-edge or a tensioned string. The most common adjustable truss rod nuts have one of several sizes of hexagonal nut or Allen key. You might need a few different sizes of each.

2. Adjusting nut slots

You'll need some method of cutting slots in a nut. You can use inexpensive needle files, gauged nut files, gauged saws or any combination of these. Some use welding torch tip cleaners: I don't recommend that for professional quality work.

Some use a trial and error method to determine when the slots are deep enough. Others use feeler gauges, others use a specialized caliber to measure height above the first fret.

3. Adjusting bridge/saddle height

Adjusting bridge height is generally easier on electric guitars than adjusting the saddle height on acoustic guitars. On electric guitars, you need either a small screw driver or small Allen keys to adjust the individual saddles, or, if the entire bridge moves up and down from two posts, a screw driver.

Before making any adjustment, you need to know what string height you have. Any device that measures string height to your desired accuracy is sufficient. I usually use a 6" ruler calibrated in 1/32", with a scale on its end. I lay the ruler, on edge, on top of the frets and measure using the scale on its end, the vertical height from top of the 12th fret to bottom of the strings. You can use a string measuring card with various scales on it. You can use a caliper or a variety of other measuring tools, your choice.

For lowering an acoustic guitar saddle, you'll need a method to sand the bottom of the saddle or file the top. There are various methods for sanding the bottom that are as simple as a block of MDF on a piece of sandpaper. For filing the top of the saddle, needle files work well as does a standard metal working file.

You might need to remove the saddle. You can use pliers to remove most saddles.

4. Adjusting intonation

Again, much easier to do on most electric guitars than acoustic guitars. On electric guitars it is common to use a small screw driver or small Allen key. On acoustic guitars, it depends on where the saddle is placed and its thickness. Adjusting the intonation within the limits of saddle placement and thickness is a matter of contouring the top of the saddle to move the location of where each string breaks over the saddle. For that, needle files work well.

A long (36") ruler, preferably with both inch and mm, can be helpful in measuring scale length and determining where the saddle is located relative to its theoretical position.

Determining the correct location for each string to break over the bridge/saddle can be done with the unaided ear or with an electronic tuner. If using an electronic tuner, best to get one that measures in cents. These days good electronic tuner apps can be purchased and used on a phone.

You will likely want a vice of some kind to hold nuts or saddles while you file them. Many of the other tools you might want are pretty standard things like hammers, pliers, screw drivers, etc.

As an aside, I don't own a set of radius gauges for fingerboards. I see no need for them. There are lots of tools that one CAN buy, but aren't necessary. To some extent, the broader the range of adjustments/repairs you want to perform, the more tools you'll need.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Excellent post Charles ; your helpful comments on this forum are appreciated.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yairimann View Post
Excellent post Charles ; your helpful comments on this forum are appreciated.
Spoken for truth!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:14 AM

Glad to be of help.

The OP asked about resources. I wrote an article on basic guitar setup. It can be found here: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Res...1-Sept2018.pdf

The appendix lists one basic set of tools.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair