The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
The date on that article is April, 2000. The article I linked is revisiting the studies that are the basis of the WebMD article, and discussing new research that might lead to differing conclusions: the purported benefits may have been overstated, and that the health risks associated with alcohol use may accrue at lower levels of use then previously believed.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 PM

See my follow up post
Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don’t consume alcohol anymore.
I found it made my sometimes distasteful personality even more distasteful, my big mouth even bigger and my pea-sized brain even smaller.
That is pure wisdom! I wish all those nasty, but unaware, drinkers out there in the world could attain such enlightenment?

Don
Old 07-13-2020, 07:11 PM

That NY Times link does not work, I was able to find it but did not read it completely.

If I had a choice between being prescribed blood thinners or drinking alcohol moderately? Guess what, from all the side effects and credibility and track record of health care professionals, guess what I would choose.

I don't trust pharmaceutical companies, i don't trust health providers, i don't trust the media on what is ' HEALTHY ' for the average American (or viewer in case they are not living in the USA)

J
Old 07-13-2020, 07:13 PM

While all the ' Non Alcoholics ' were dying of Bubonic Plague, all the alcoholics survived.

J
Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

"Moderate Drinking May Help Prevent Blood Clots"....

I may win the lottery this week...

I may become as good a guitar as Clapton by the end of the month...

I may buy a Ferrari this week...

Scientists may find a cure for coronavirus by August...

You get the idea...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-13-2020, 07:18 PM

You and I MAY live until tomorrow.

Everything is a crap shoot, and that's what they found out when they discovered Quantum Mechanics.

J
Old 07-13-2020, 07:20 PM

Playing like Clapton or owning a Ferrari are far different than heart disease, blood clots and strokes.

J
Old 07-14-2020, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... i don't trust health providers, i don't trust the media on what is ' HEALTHY ' for the average American (or viewer in case they are not living in the USA)

J
Quote:
Doesn’t relying on this information seem contradictory?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
That NY Times link does not work, I was able to find it but did not read it completely.

If I had a choice between being prescribed blood thinners or drinking alcohol moderately? Guess what, from all the side effects and credibility and track record of health care professionals, guess what I would choose.

I don't trust pharmaceutical companies, i don't trust health providers, i don't trust the media on what is ' HEALTHY ' for the average American (or viewer in case they are not living in the USA)

J
Typically I take medical advice with a grain of salt but I’ve discovered that a big part of alcoholism is psychological; addiction tends to make people dubious to advice that tells them they need to change their habits. That goes with anything - not just alcohol. All I know about alcohol is that if others see how much you drink and say “maybe you should slow it down” then you probably should find something better to put in your body.

By the way, I find that I hate the way I feel after drinking white wines. I much prefer reds - and in moderation.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:12 AM

The lengths we'll go to to uphold our nasty habits...

I have to say though, I'm starting to appreciate off dry Rieslings. I still prefer baco or pinot noir though. Reds are better for the blood - especially after consuming an 8oz filet mignon.

Just no merlot, though!*

* obscure quote from a movie about wine connoisseurs

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:30 AM

I'm a photographer by trade but, due to my shooting schedule all but evaporating due to the pandemic, I took a gig with a local liquor store chain.

Traffic in our store is literally non-stop. When one person walks out, another walks in. We even have drive-thru service. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. I liken it to when my Dad used to tell me he was going to tend bar down at the gun club. Some things just shouldn't go together.

But we're slammed from the time we open to the time we close. Even after we close people come to the door wanting to buy. Last night, a car came to the drive-thru after we'd been closed for almost a half hour. We were there, counting down our tills, and this guy just sat there.

Like, for fifteen minutes.

When he started blowing his horn I opened the drive thru door to inform him that we were closed. I don't know what he was more pissed off about; the fact that he couldn't get his booze or the fact that he looked like an idiot sitting at the drive-thru of a closed liquor store for 15 minutes.

But, yeah, our sales are up. Way up...
Old 07-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post

Just no merlot, though!*

* obscure quote from a movie about wine connoisseurs

"Sideways"... I love that movie!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
We even have drive-thru service. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. I liken it to when my Dad used to tell me he was going to tend bar down at the gun club. Some things just shouldn't go together.
The first time I went to New Orleans I about got into an accident when I noticed people walking down the street drinking as they walked away from a window dispensary. They have drive up windows also.

I had a friend that contracted to do some repair work at an in door shooting range. They wanted all the bullet holes in the walls and the ceiling repaired. He took the job on the condition nobody would be there when he was working. True story.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic