The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 03:36 AM

Go and try all 3!
Old 06-16-2020, 04:26 AM

Hey MarcF,

I'm also based in the UK and went through a similar dilemma to you just before lockdown. I was upgrading from a fairly cheap Taylor 110 dread and tried a load of Taylors, Martins and a J45 amongst others in the two big shops in Birmingham. I thought the J45 was great actually but ended up blowing my budget on a Martin D35 which hadn't even been on my radar before I went shopping. And that's the thing. If you're spending that kind of cash on a guitar which you'll play for years it really needs to be hands-on if at all possible. To me it's like the Harry Potter thing: the guitar chooses you. There's no way I would have picked out a D35 if I'd only shopped online and that would have been a shame as I totally love it.

I appreciate not everyone has a wide selection of guitars to try just a few miles away but given you're taking such a big step up I'd recommend avoiding an online purchase if at all possible. Do your research (half the fun) then go to the biggest guitar shop you can and go with an open mind. You never know what'll speak to you.

The good news is that guitar shops are now opening again in the UK so you shouldn't have to wait too long.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies. A lot to consider.
I'm based in Scotland so unfortunately the shops aren't open yet. Not sure how much longer I can wait!

Always been after a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson. Nothing against the other brands, but focusing on these, and preferably new.

While I don't expect to use the pickup often, I do have a loop pedal and interested in using the acoustic guitar with it.

Also realise that I would definitely like white binding, so rules out the D18.

So considering the D28E / HD28E too now.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF View Post
....Always been after a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson....
The dream for me was always a Gibson J45. Then I happened into a Guild F50R. Haven't looked back. Just sayin'.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion