The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 02:48 AM

Default anyone got experience ordering custom strings?

Hi,

Who on here has experience ordering custom strings from string makers who don't clearly advertise this as an option (Newtone for instance)? I'd be very interested in trying some "silk and monel" strings, which aren't made by anyone.

Given silked string makes I've tried they'd preferably be from LaBella or Ernie Ball. I know LaBella made them for someone on here (as a favour to a friend) and they already replied that they cannot currently consider requests given the corona-related order backlog they have. I'm still waiting on an answer from Ernie Ball (but maybe they're so big they'll only take requests from Big Names (TM)?).

FWIW, I asked Newtone to make me some Masterclass Double Wounds in monel, but they couldn't (they don't stock the necessary wire). Instead they made them in 80/20 brass. Very nice, very close in sound to the Earthwood Silk & Steel but I still prefer the latter. Easier on the fingers and a richer sound that's closer to nylon strings (a good thing for me).

Anyone else interested in Silk & Monel strings, btw?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:38 AM

Have you tried Curt Mangan round-core Monels?
https://www.curtmangan.com/monel-1/

I have them on guitar at moment and they're very good.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 AM

No, but I have a set of Masterclass Monels waiting to be tested (and IIRC those are supposed to be just as good and are definitely cheaper for me).

But it's become clear that I just prefer the sound signature and comfort of silk & steel strings and unless Curt Mangan make those I'm probably not going to try their strings, or indeed any other pure metal strings.

Honestly, if I'd never known about Monel I would just settle happily with the Earthwood Silk & Steel. They're sadly not the cheapest string I tested, but they're really great strings. The GHS Silk & Bronze come close in terms of comfort but they have that same woolly sound in the midrange that always puts me off PB on my acoustic (and the low E sounds dead too low on the fretboard, like with most PB equivalents)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:12 AM

I just ordered a set of Newtone Heritage in custom material and guages. True they dont have monel but they have steel and nickel in addition to PB and 80's
Old 06-16-2020, 07:32 AM

I think you should be able to contact Neil and ask if they can do Heritage Monel. Chances they have the required stock are better than for the double wounds. Note that I made my request for custom double wounds *after* completing an order.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if they'll have what you are looking for, but stringsbymail.com has a huge supply, and if you need to buy single strings, you can. They are extremely reasonable and ship fast. They'll ship internationally too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion