The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default tips on using locking tuners please

I changed my first set of strings with my new locking tuners. Ahhh. I like them. A lot.

I got a little too much wind on the g string. How do you get just the right amount of wind. Is there a trick?

With my old tuners, after stringing them up and getting to pitch I would stretch them by pulling up each string or snapping them to help them settle in. Do you need to do that with locking tuners?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-16-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

You really don’t need (or want) multiple winds with locking tuners. When I had a guitar with them, I’d pull the string through the hole until it was taut, and then lock it in place. Usually, it would be up to pitch in less than a full turn of the peg.

I used to do the ‘stretch and snap’ trick, but haven’t for as long as I can remember.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 06-16-2020 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-16-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
You really don’t need (or want) multiple winds with locking tuners. When I had a guitar withe them, I’d pull the string through the hole until it was taut, and then lock it in place. Usually, it would be up to pitch in less than a full turn of the peg.

I used to do the ‘stretch and snap’ trick, but haven’t for as long as I can remember.
This.

Love locking tuners on electric guitars. Never experienced them on acoustic.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-16-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

there are a few kinds of locking mechanism. Which type do you have? Regardless, they don't really need any wind in most cases as they are pinched in there and can't really move so you technically don't really need any winds. If you've overwound one, just loosen the fixture and pull the string through further, tighten it down again and then fine-tune it to pitch.

It's still a good idea to stretch the strings to ensure it's not snagged or kinked anywhere, pull out the slack, or sitting in the bridge pins funny. Then your fine tuning should be all set.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I've personally settled on starting with my strings almost taut but not fully. This puts a little slack in the string so that if it accidentally pulls out after it's up to pitch you can still get it back into the tuner.

But this still only results in at most half a turn or so in the peg.

This has been working well for me and now love the locking tuners. Image%20(2).jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion