The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Post Eastman E10M or Sigma OMT-28H+

These are two orchestra acoustic I have been looking at for a while now and I just can't decide between the two. The Sigma being the more expensive one, I have found used for around the same price as the cheaper Eastman so the price is no problem.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:06 PM

Eastman has a steller reputation on these forums. To be honest, I rarely see posts on Sigma. Not saying they are good or bad but Eastman seems to be more popular.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:09 PM

have you listened to clips of them? here is the E1OM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4a3ZF-VnrI

sounds good to me. don't know anything about the sigma.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:56 PM

I've got the cedar top 2OM, which is the same guitar you are looking at with, well, a cedar top, and I can't say enough good things about it. The value far exceeds the price IMHO.

Can't help you out with the Sigma. Never seen one in person and nobody around here carries them.

Hope that helped.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've got the cedar top 2OM, which is the same guitar you are looking at with, well, a cedar top, and I can't say enough good things about it. The value far exceeds the price IMHO.

Can't help you out with the Sigma. Never seen one in person and nobody around here carries them.

Hope that helped.
Why did you choose the cedar over the spruce? Spruce is brighter in tone, right?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 PM

I’d go Eastman over the Sigma having owned a couple of Sigmas and a Couple of Eastmans I still don’t know how Eastman makes their guitars for the price.

I also have the E2OM - a sweeter, darker tone than spruce, works well with the sapele back and sides and it’s super responsive. I’ve played a E1D but not the Spruce top E1OM - I’m sure you would not be disappointed with the E1OM

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-14-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantr1nh View Post
Why did you choose the cedar over the spruce? Spruce is brighter in tone, right?
I already had an E20-OM and wanted something different. This demo helped me decide:

Old 06-14-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

An E2D or E2OM in Cedar are amazing guitars regardless of their price points. But for a $500 guitar they're ridiculously good!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-14-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantr1nh View Post
Spruce is not brighter than cedar or vise versa.
Sitka spruce is warmer than Adirondack.
Adirondack has a ton of headroom and is very responsive, crisp, clear, snappy and projects extremely well, which is why its described as putting a guitar on steroids.
Cedar is very responsive, great for fingerstyle but with little headroom. That's why it's not used on flat picking or heavy strumming guitars. It will break up and lose string separation. Cedar also generally has a warm, soft, silky sound
Old 06-15-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I've only owned a couple of cedar topped guitars and although they're known to not have a lot of headroom I've never had any issue over driving mine when strumming. Of course both are/were big guitars. The first was a Lowden O22 Cedar/Mahogany (sold) and the one I have now is an Eastman E2D Cedar/Sapele. And this E2D is LOUD!

Old 06-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I would definitely lean towards the Eastman. I don't have any experience with the Sigma you've mentioned, but it looks like it has Tilia back and sides which is Basswood, which can be ok for electric guitars but I can't imagine works very well for acoustics.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:00 PM

I have a cedar topped Eastman. I might not attempt Pinball Wizard on it but I run into no difficulty putting a nice strum on it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.G. View Post
Spruce is not brighter than cedar or vise versa.
Sitka spruce is warmer than Adirondack.
Adirondack has a ton of headroom and is very responsive, crisp, clear, snappy and projects extremely well, which is why its described as putting a guitar on steroids.
Cedar is very responsive, great for fingerstyle but with little headroom. That's why it's not used on flat picking or heavy strumming guitars. It will break up and lose string separation. Cedar also generally has a warm, soft, silky sound
1st, I disagree with a lot of this except the bit about Adirondack.

Cedar is typically warmer and less bright than Spruce (imo), especially when new. Cedar can sound a lot like old, broken in (mature) Spruce. Yes, Cedar does often respond better to a light touch than Spruce, but the available headroom depends a LOT on builder and bracing. My wife has a Seagull parlor guitar and it takes a heavy right hand very well with no loss of clarity.

The same holds true for Cedar topped Seagull dreads.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I have a cedar topped Eastman. I might not attempt Pinball Wizard on it but I run into no difficulty putting a nice strum on it.
And doesn't it sound good?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion