The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 12:46 AM

Default Strap button placement for Eastman

If you look at the Eastman AC122-1CE, there is no strap button anywhere. Only and output jack at the end really. Now if I were to put a strap button somewhere for the other side of the strap, where?

Here is an image I have found for multiple positions.

>> https://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets...55/ts0055a.jpg <<

Should I put it at 5 like a normal acoustic, maybe like Taylor. Or at 3, maybe like a Seagull. Is the heel too small for the strap button to be positioned at 5? Please give me your opinions on which position you would choose for the Eastman and why.

Last edited by ryantr1nh; 06-15-2020 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Image uploading error, my mistake.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:46 AM

I put mine at 5 on both my Eastmans - it’s just the position I have them on all my guitars. Personal preference

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-15-2020, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

I can't give you a definitive answer but perhaps I can eliminate a couple of options for you. Option 3 Seagull - they put a small additional wood block inside the side panel of their guitars to accommodate their forward strap button position which your Eastman may not have? Options 1 & 2 - over the years I found guitars with these strap button placings are a little out of balance in use. The guitar has a tendency to fall forward (although on more rounded gentlemen this does not appear to be a problem ).

You can buy strap block fittings or strap lock fittings for your endpin jack to make the attachment at that end more secure.

Here is an example of a strap block for an endpin jack:

Strap block for endpin jack

And here is a strap lock for an endpin jack:

Strap lock for endpin jack

There are other options, these are just two examples.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I can't give you a definitive answer but perhaps I can eliminate a couple of options for you. Option 3 Seagull - they put a small additional wood block inside the side panel of their guitars to accommodate their forward strap button position which your Eastman may not have? Options 1 & 2 - over the years I found guitars with these strap button placings are a little out of balance in use. The guitar has a tendency to fall forward (although on more rounded gentlemen this does not appear to be a problem ).

You can buy strap block fittings or strap lock fittings for your endpin jack to make the attachment at that end more secure.

Here is an example of a strap block for an endpin jack:

Strap block for endpin jack

And here is a strap lock for an endpin jack:

Strap lock for endpin jack

There are other options, these are just two examples.
I've actually heard of the music nomad strap lock adapter and am planning on getting it for the output jack. I'll probably just go with option 5
Old 06-15-2020, 05:24 AM

My Eastman archtop came with a button at position 4. Its always worked fine for me there, but it looks like the Eastman AC122-1CE neck heel isn't flat on top like the AR605 is.

Last edited by Mandobart; 06-15-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 AM

i have always been told 5 is the most structurally secure option (and the one Taylor guitars uses as well).
Old 06-15-2020, 06:49 AM

All of mine are on #5. Works great, no problems.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion