The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Default which mic should I get?

I have a Sure SM57 for use with the electrics, Strat & LP through the Marshal. It connects to a Lexicon Alpha 'preamp' which then goes to Cubase. I get a rich thick recorded tone this way. But when recording an acoustic, the result is blunt and compressed. I think it's due to the mic being intended for electric guitar tone & volume range. Is there a mic in the $100 price range that would work will for acoustic guitar in this set-up? thnx/jd

ps. OOps, this was meant to be in the Record section rather than Play&Write. Oh well...

Last edited by joeld; 07-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:25 PM

http://www.3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=651

These are very good for both acoustic guitar and vocals. Not cheap surface mount technology. High quality C12 style capsule, high quality components including Toshiba FET, Wima film capacitors and Panasonic electrolytic capacitors. Very smooth, not hyped.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-08-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: References to other forums not permitted
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 AM

Unfortunately, the problem you have is that the Lexicon Alpha does not have 48v phantom power, which is needed for pretty much all condenser mics (a few have a battery option).
Rather than putting another piece of gear in line (a phantom power supply), I would recommend moving to an audio interface with built-in phantom power.

There are many LDC (large diaphragm condenser) mics in the $100-$150 range, and you may find a deal on a used one when shopping around.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
I have a Sure SM57 for use with the electrics, Strat & LP through the Marshal. It connects to a Lexicon Alpha 'preamp' which then goes to Cubase. I get a rich thick recorded tone this way. But when recording an acoustic, the result is blunt and compressed. I think it's due to the mic being intended for electric guitar tone & volume range. Is there a mic in the $100 price range that would work will for acoustic guitar in this set-up? thnx/jd

ps. OOps, this was meant to be in the Record section rather than Play&Write. Oh well...
You might like to see this demo, intended to compare three sound sources, mainly for my own benefit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LZ4s4mPKM
The C-3 is a cheap-ish condenser mic, with a few pickup configurations. The probable reason it's sounding a little boomy here is it was set up directly opposite the soundhole, around 9" away. I can't remember the switching configuration, btw, I just fiddled with the three switches it has until I got what I considered the best sound for its position.
It's going through a separate phantom power amp (very cheap), and then alongside the Anthem-SL in a two-channel Behringer interface (that also has phantom power, but only on both channels or none, and the Anthem doesn't need it) - to enable the stereo example.

The Anthem-SL is a great pickup, but I slightly prefer the sound of the C-3 for recording. (The Anthem-SL has its mic component turned fully up, btw. It's not as flexible in balancing the two sources as the full price Anthem.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD