The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

"The pickup rigs in my guitars sound very guitar-like, and sound great at every volume/sound level. They also open up opportunities beyond solo play...so I can play with combos and bands and choirs etc where I'd not be heard with just an external mic."

Larry, what are the pickups your using?

Thanks to all for the useful and sometimes humorous replies. Now that I think about it, I had a barcus berry at one time. There was some kind of sticky stuff that I used to attach it to my guitar. Had a primitive pre-amp too. It sounded not so good. I'm looking forward to figuring out which pickup to get. There are so many! Makes my head and ears spin. And the thing is, you can't try them out, except maybe a sound hole pickup.
Karen
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM

A mic pointing at an acoustic guitar gives a glimpse of some kind of acoustic paradise that you can’t have!

Next up is compromise and compromising the compromised!

Latest is the Tonedexter that you use to make your K&K Mini or Fishman undersaddle pickup in your guitar sound like it is your guitar being mic’d, but features a DI, tone controls, blend, notch, boost, headphone plug etc.

I then have my Boss VE-8, where you can mix your acoustic guitar signal (mine coming from Tonedexter) and your vocal mic via 2 different channels with devices and effects to help acoustics and vocals. It has lots of OUT options ....run it to a mixer or PA or powered speaker or acoustic guitar amp....and a big help to practice your ‘sound’ at home.

BluesKing777.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
"The pickup rigs in my guitars sound very guitar-like, and sound great at every volume/sound level. They also open up opportunities beyond solo play...so I can play with combos and bands and choirs etc where I'd not be heard with just an external mic."

Larry, what are the pickups your using?

Thanks to all for the useful and sometimes humorous replies. Now that I think about it, I had a barcus berry at one time. There was some kind of sticky stuff that I used to attach it to my guitar. Had a primitive pre-amp too. It sounded not so good. I'm looking forward to figuring out which pickup to get. There are so many! Makes my head and ears spin. And the thing is, you can't try them out, except maybe a sound hole pickup.
Karen
Hi A…

All four are K&K passive dual source rigs (Pure mini plus internal mic). My mics are the old-style K&K silver bullet which are not 'protected' which causes the new versions to cut-out if your preamp provides more than 9V power.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
A mic pointing at an acoustic guitar gives a glimpse of some kind of acoustic paradise that you can’t have!

Next up is compromise and compromising the compromised!

Latest is the Tonedexter that you use to make your K&K Mini or Fishman undersaddle pickup in your guitar sound like it is your guitar being mic’d, but features a DI, tone controls, blend, notch, boost, headphone plug etc.

I then have my Boss VE-8, where you can mix your acoustic guitar signal (mine coming from Tonedexter) and your vocal mic via 2 different channels with devices and effects to help acoustics and vocals. It has lots of OUT options ....run it to a mixer or PA or powered speaker or acoustic guitar amp....and a big help to practice your ‘sound’ at home.

BluesKing777.
I think Bluesking pretty much nailed it here.
I for one use a mic whenever i can which is
not very often. after that you search and hunt
for a pickup system that will give you the least
amount of compromise . Always looking for that
mic'd Sound. But never quite getting there. So much fun...
I have now relegated myself to buying used..buying new is just throwing that
30-40 percent "new"markup in the trash.
I tried the TD and the ve8 (bought used) and sold them both. Zero net loss.,
They are good units don't get me wrong. they both have good working features..But they are not for me.

Last edited by varmonter; 06-02-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi A…

All four are K&K passive dual source rigs (Pure mini plus internal mic). My mics are the old-style K&K silver bullet which are not 'protected' which causes the new versions to cut-out if your preamp provides more than 9V power.

Thanks Larry for the info.

Thanks for the reply Bluesking and Varmonter. Yeah. Amplification is "compromise." Even the best mic wouldn't sound like my guitar in my warm wood panelled living room!

Varmonter, where/how do you buy used pickups?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
Thanks Larry for the info.

Thanks for the reply Bluesking and Varmonter. Yeah. Amplification is "compromise." Even the best mic wouldn't sound like my guitar in my warm wood panelled living room!

Varmonter, where/how do you buy used pickups?
lately i've been trying magnetic soundhole pups.
One thing i've learned over the years is the term
"my guitar only louder" Is a fallacie. I find the mag
pups have a good sound that cut through the
mix and are not prone to feedback in a live gig setting.
They have come along way since bill lawrence.
And pups like the baggs m80 and the sunrise give a good
acoustic tone without too much tweaking. More so than the kk mini
which sounds good with a lot of tweaking.
So yea permanent pickups like the kk you can't buy used.
But they are pretty inexpensive under a hundred.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification