The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Is the dry UST signal/sound image blend adjustable to any extent? If not, does Fishman or Martin provide any info on the blend ratio?

Dude did you even watch the video lol. 4:38+

Yes, you can adjust the blend. Aero's take is interesting because I am not that interested in percussive effects per se--it's probably a quirk on my part but I find that kind of playing--using the guitar as a cajon--annoying. I am interested in getting closer to "sounds like my guitar except louder," which is what, at least for me, it does remarkably well. (Aero references this when he talks about the Enhance not being just about percussive, makes the whole guitar more alive etc.").
FYI, the 4:38 section is referring to a control for blending in the desired amount of SBT signal. The dry UST signal/sound image blend is something altogether different. It refers to the amount of Aura sound image being blended with the dry UST signal. Aaron was kind enough to answer my question. The dry UST signal/ sound image blend isn't adjustable with this particular system.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Good morning!

I just posted my new video on the Martin VT Aura Enhance pickup. There doesn't seem to be too much info around on this system. I made sure to include direct recordings as well as a live recording. I personally feel that it is further proof that what works live doesn't always work as well direct. What do you think?

Please subscribe to my channel if you like it, I will have new videos weekly.

Nice. But way too much meandering talking. And you didn't demonstrate the variations in sound with the different control settings. Too long. And I didn't learn how the tone or the aura controls change the sound. You talked about it, but you didn't demonstrate it.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. I'm just looking for something more comprehensive and concise when I watch gear videos.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Nice. But way too much meandering talking. And you didn't demonstrate the variations in sound with the different control settings. Too long. And I didn't learn how the tone or the aura controls change the sound. You talked about it, but you didn't demonstrate it.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. I'm just looking for something more comprehensive and concise when I watch gear videos.
I wanted to say something similar but I know how much work these videos take. I can't even bring myself to sit down and just record for fun sometimes. With that said, I am sure all musicians who do demos, appreciate a little critiquing along the way. I too would like to see a bit less talking. I think when the OP started chatting about batteries, I started to feel like it was dragging on.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Some of the reposes make it clear why so few players are willing to volunteer their time to make videos for the benefit of their fellow musicians.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
FYI, the 4:38 section is referring to a control for blending in the desired amount of SBT signal. The dry UST signal/sound image blend is something altogether different. It refers to the amount of Aura sound image being blended with the dry UST signal. Aaron was kind enough to answer my question. The dry UST signal/ sound image blend isn't adjustable with this particular system.
Thank you, that's very kind and helpful. I'll have to review my understanding of the system.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Some of the reposes make it clear why so few players are willing to volunteer their time to make videos for the benefit of their fellow musicians.
If you look for the value, you'll find it and there was a ton of value in this demo video for me. Was it a definitive gear demo showing all the variations of how each setting sounds? No, but as a gigging musician, I found Aaron's comments valuable about preferred settings that sound best for his needs. They mirror my experience too.

The demo was a wonderful overview of how it sounds, works and I really appreciate the thoughtful insight and commentary about gigging considerations.

I didn't know a lithium battery would give 50 hours of playing time. So that was actually of HUGE value to learn. I too have had a regular duracell die in the middle of a song.

(Side bar: There is mention of an LED battery life indicator, but I have yet to be able to 'see' where the darn thing is inside my Fishman Aura VT Enhance)
So the info about the Lithium battery and longer life was super helpful!

Three years after I posted a video I'll see a comment like; "Dude, tune the E string."

.....Hmm. I'll get right on that.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
That's why I started off with discussing how much time these videos take. I meant no offense to the OP, I just think constructive criticism can be helpful as well.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's why I started off with discussing how much time these videos take. I meant no offense to the OP, I just think constructive criticism can be helpful as well.
I wasn't referring to you. I thought your comments were respectful, as usual.

I am going to butt out now. Aaron can take care of himself. :-)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Its true that Aaron's commentary covered a lot of ground which many of us are already familiar with. I wasn't expecting a demo which was specifically tailored to amplification geeks, however. I believe that Aaron's observations will surely be helpful to the many average Joes and Janes just looking for a dependable and convenient stage setup. He did a great job of explaining why the Matrix Aura Enhance serves his own performance needs well. He also added the very useful caveat that direct recordings of a pickup system don't necessarily reflect the system's usefulness (or lack thereof) in a live performance setting.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I wasn't referring to you. I thought your comments were respectful, as usual.

I am going to butt out now. Aaron can take care of himself. :-)
Haha thanks, I had to check. That's just me worrying!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Nice job on the video, Aaron! I thought it was very helpful and well done. Look forward to the next one!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive video, Aaron!

Now to quote Dr Smith No 1: ‘Oh, the pain, the pain. Oh, the pain, Will’

Huh?

I have owned my Martin D18E Retro with the 9 inbuilt images and seemingly endless configs, and to own a guitar with just ONE! ? ‘Oh, the pain’..

I might be able to adapt if I take a handful of gadgets, even if I don’t turn them on.

Now, I have had my eye on a 000 or OM of the 18 series variety with the Aura VT Enhance - I do prefer smaller guitars than the D18. So in the last few months I have kept the D18E in Easy Mode with Image No 1...as a little experiment in a number of aspects of the Aura unit. It sounds great in my amp like this, but a bit quacky in headphones/recording......

At this stage it is physically hurting to not touch the other settings!

I jest of course!

But I do have a large packet of 9v’s AND a battery tester - the look on the faces of the audience as they thought murder was about to occur as the weird noises came out of my guitar and amp and PA, when the battery went off, well, that sight may never leave me! a bag of lithiums it will be, Aaron!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Aaron, A Well Done, Comprehensive Video! Please keep on making these video reviews of your gear!

I was rather disappointed with the Aura VT Enhance, and I just couldn't bond with it as rendered in my Martin GPC-18E. I ended up trading-in the guitar toward my Huss & Dalton TD-R. Something I didn't like about the system was its installation: What a mess of wiring with some touching the underside of the top. I rearranged this spaghetti as well as I could which really didn't affect the amplified tone but gave me some peace of mind in doing so.

The Aura Image for the Martin GPC-18E was generated using a Neumann KM-84 small condenser microphone. IMHO, the best-sounding Aura Image I've ever heard was the "Ribbon Mic" image and I think the Martin GPC-18E would have sounded better if it had this Aura Image onboard. I came to the conclusion that my Aura VT Enhance really needed the help of outboard equipment to sound good.

My review of my Martin GPC-18E Aura VT Enhance
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification