The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-27-2021, 01:31 PM

Default Curious about "sting ties / bridge beads"

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used or is using "String-ties" also known as or called "Bridge Beads", and your thoughts on them?

I came across two types that are sold on Stings By Mail. Rosette Diamond is one and String-Tie the other.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:06 PM

I use the Rosette Diamond on one of my guitars and they work quite well. It seems to take the strings a bit longer to settle in, but they make this particular guitar much easier to string. Thumbs up for the Rosette system.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:38 AM

One benefit of using them being that the tie block is less chewed up by the wound strings.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:13 AM

I've used small glass beads purchased from the local hobby store for attaching nylon strings to ukuleles. I have used them for bridges designed for tied strings and also for ukuleles that have the string end held internally against the soundboard inside the body.

You could certainly use them for classical guitar. You also get to choose your color / size and they are small and unobtrusive.

The knot is unique, and produces three contact points for the string to distribute the force against the bridge's rear edge. It can be used with or without the bead. The stopper knot alone would be sufficient on the larger strings.

Here's a graphic I created a few years back:

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-28-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM

If you get rosette diamond tieblocks get the diamond secure system. Much easier to use,and looks better.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

My understanding of bridge beads is that you gain a bit more break angle over the saddle when the string is not wrapped around itself pulling upward. I prefer neatly tied strings for the looks.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
My understanding of bridge beads is that you gain a bit more break angle over the saddle when the string is not wrapped around itself pulling upward. I prefer neatly tied strings for the looks.
Yes, and as Rudy4 said above, hobbyists' beads work fine- I got a supply from
my daughter, and use 'em on the treble strings, which often have
less break angle over the saddle than the bass strings.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Thanks for feedback and suggestion

I want to thank all who responded to my inquiry about the string tie beads.

Rudy... really liked your suggestion on a special knot for securing Uke strings. I am sure that the knot would work well on smaller diameter strings, specially the high-end nylon strings on a guitar, but wonder how the knot would look like on the bass strings of a classical guitar. Also the suggestion of using hobby beads is awesome..

I have decided to purchase a set of the "String-Tie" brand...

https://www.stringsbymail.com/string...SABEgJ5pPD_BwE

I plan on using them on my less expensive 2019 Cordoba C10 Parlor and if they work well I will also use a set on my 96 Burguet 2M
Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 PM

I am using the diamond tie blocks. Very unobtrusive and nice looking really. I like that they will stop the string abrasion marks from getting worse on my bridge, which is capped with a thin layer of bone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical