The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-25-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Not just Gibsons,, any guitar with a set neck and that back angle with the head stock is vulnerable, it's literally the Achilles heel and Gravity is not your friend.
To that Enemies List, you can add FedEx and UPS. When guitars get shipped by the several-dozen, shrink-wrapped to a pallet and moved with a forklift, they usually do just fine. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Couch Standards
Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
To that Enemies List, you can add FedEx and UPS. When guitars get shipped by the several-dozen, shrink-wrapped to a pallet and moved with a forklift, they usually do just fine. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.
YEP! it's no laughing matter! one must prepare for shipping anything with these guys like the box is going to have to survive a trip to Mars....

So far, knock on wood, I've never shipped one that wound up DOA.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

If its any consolation to Gibson owners, my Washburn acoustic slid out of a corner on a tile floor (yeah, I know) and cracked its headstock off. Most horrific sound Ive ever heard! So I would say the headstock joint is the *weakest* point, but not necessarily *weak*. Just dont let them fall.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

There are two mechanical reasons for this.

Their tilt-back neck angle creates a weak point in the wood. This also makes the end of the headstock protrude in the direction of any collision so it takes the full force (as well as being a weak point).

But what makes this much worse is the unforgiveable placement of the upper strap button.

If you look at the placement of Taylor's upper strap button you can see how the tension (pull) from the strap, actually clinches the strap tighter on the button.

The Gibson is exactly the opposite. The tension (pull) from the strap pulls directly in the direction of the opening, loosening it.

This is the reason the "strap lock" industry was born.

These broken guitars almost always "fall off" their strap and the headstock swings down, like a sledgehammer with the headstock taking the impact.

This is a horrible, horrible, horrible design.

That's why they moved the strap button on the SG (which was designed as the replacement for the LP).

But they keep making them this way. Frankly I can't believe the guitar world puts up with this.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-25-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
YEP! it's no laughing matter! one must prepare for shipping anything with these guys like the box is going to have to survive a trip to Mars....
That's probably a far gentler ride, actually.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:13 PM

This is a beat to death topic but I’ll summarize.

The neck angle and the truss Rod hole combine to leave a thin piece of wood right at the break angle. If it falls in just the correct way it will hit the weak area and snap the headstock off. It’s not really common these days but Frnser doesn’t have the issue since they have the straight design.

Gibson has offered a volute there as early as 1968 to my knowledge but nobody really likes them and nobody buys them. I personally would rather take my chances without the volute. It’s kind of like not buying a Porsche becuase they spin. Very rare And you have to be somewhat misbehaving to get I a situation where the bad thing can happen.

Plus repairs are cheap and work very well.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAudi View Post
This is a beat to death topic but I’ll summarize.

Frnser doesn’t have the issue since they have the straight design.

assuming frnser translates to Fender...

Fenders fall on the floor and they just tend to bounce right back up.

You gotta be workin it to break one of those necks!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 AM

Others have pointed to the weak area of the volute from the truss rod routing and mahogany. To be fair, Gibson offers a few "modern" models that have a thicker volute.

Another culprit is the case. Barring a huge crash, an electric guitar in a case should NEVER break. Gibson's case should really add about a 1/2 inch to the headstock area in the cases.

I'm a very careful dude, but stuff happens. I've seen enough broken Gibsons and Epiphones in shops with the same exact break and same old story. It's very peculiar how the diehards will defend this flaw. Some people disliked removing Fender necks to make truss rod adjustments. They solved this by putting it at the nut and somehow didn't weaken the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars