The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-23-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Assistance with specs for an Emerald X30

Hey all, ready to order an Emerald X30 and would like some thoughts on specs. I think I have it covered, but would welcome input.

- Dyed blue Koto veneer
- Black back and sides (in the veneer video, Alistair recommends blue back and sides, but I like the idea of the contrast with black, especially with the dark bridge)
- Fretboard dot inlays to match the blue Koto
- Fretboard finished with the curve, like the new X20
- Slightly larger side fretboard dots (if possible)
- LR Baggs Element pickup
- 1 3/4" nut width (standard?)

I don't think I want a fan fret. i don't play in drop tunings and can't see an advantage to spending the extra money.

I think that covers it, but I am open to ideas, especially if you think I missed something important. And curious what you think about the aesthetics.

Thanks very much!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:38 PM

I think it sounds perfect and I've always been attracted to the blue koto. When you said matching dots I was like, "oh yeah that's gonna look nice". Are you going to arrange them in a more traditional way or go with a more modern look for fret marker placement (ie. Martin style or more like a Godin or Breedlove)?
Old 02-23-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think it sounds perfect and I've always been attracted to the blue koto. When you said matching dots I was like, "oh yeah that's gonna look nice". Are you going to arrange them in a more traditional way or go with a more modern look for fret marker placement (ie. Martin style or more like a Godin or Breedlove)?
Thank you! I was thinking traditional, but now will look at Godin and Breedlove to get an idea of what those look like. I recalled seeing a custom inlay from Emerald that had the dots at the very top edge, kind of wrapping around to become side fret markers, and briefly thought about that, as well. I think they’ll stand out more in the center, though, except where doubled.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-24-2021, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Update, the Koto isn't big enough for an X30. If anyone wants an X10, they can do that. A possible suggestion is Birdseye Maple, dyed similarly. They are going to show me some samples. I will also look at the other veneers they have listed.

There was a gorgeous X20 in a red-tinted Haborica that caught my eye, and I thought about asking for something similar, but with red inlays. Not sure the red would stand out enough on the dark fretboard, though.

Anyway, the Koto is on hold, so I have to hope they can find more (doubtful) or go with another option.

By the way, working with Davy, who has been very responsive.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

For anyone reading, ss I mentioned, they were out of the Koto in that size, and didn't have any more bamboo, which would have been similar. Looks like we're headed for a blue Harborica X30 with blue jewel dot inlays, blue back and sides. Waiting on the invoice.

Anyone have experience with their gig bag? Is it worth the upcharge, or should I buy a gig bag from one of the usual shops?

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Anyone have experience with their gig bag? Is it worth the upcharge, or should I buy a gig bag from one of the usual shops?
I like the gigbag - it’s nicely made, and looks cool. Granted, my guitars very rarely leave the house, but when they do, the Emerald gigbag is quite adequate. I bought the hard case with my first, and the gigbag with my second, so I have the best of both worlds.

And congratulations on finally taking the plunge! Seems like this is something you’ve been contemplating for quite a while.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 AM

You might have a little trouble finding a gig bag for the X30 - it is a big guitar, and deep. Gig bags that fit a typical Gibson or Guild jumbo should work, but many dreadnought gig bags are not wide enough. I have Hiscox hard cases for mine (both X20 and X30) but our X7 gig bags are fine - as was the gig bag for the Chimaera that I had briefly. Emerald gig bags are plenty good enough for normal use.

When my guitars leave the house they mostly travel in my Taylor hard bag, which works fine for an X20. It is rare that hard cases ever leave the homestead. I prefer gig bags for the accessory pockets, but I carry all of my guitars myself. In a situation where anyone else ever handled them, it would be hard case all the way.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:33 PM

Do you have a favorite strap lock system? The recent Schaller strap locks come as a one piece wood screw. A carbon fiber thin wall thickness needs the older 2 piece Schaller so the wood screw can be replaced with a machine screw that a nut or lock nut will fit. Emerald would probably install whatever strap lock button you want. Their standard buttons that I received don't fit the Schaller locks.

If you ask for a spare nut & saddle they will throw one of each in with the case candy.

Do you have a bridge preference like pinless or whatever?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 02-26-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I like the gigbag - it’s nicely made, and looks cool. Granted, my guitars very rarely leave the house, but when they do, the Emerald gigbag is quite adequate. I bought the hard case with my first, and the gigbag with my second, so I have the best of both worlds.

And congratulations on finally taking the plunge! Seems like this is something you’ve been contemplating for quite a while.
Thanks for the info! Is it somewhat well padded? I don't typically travel far, nor am I rough with my gear when I do, but I'd like it to have a little bit of padding.

And yes, I have been thinking about this. I've gotten scared away by the comments about the rich low end, afraid it would drown out the trebles, but many have convinced me that the guitar is well balanced and the trebles can shine just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
You might have a little trouble finding a gig bag for the X30 - it is a big guitar, and deep. Gig bags that fit a typical Gibson or Guild jumbo should work, but many dreadnought gig bags are not wide enough. I have Hiscox hard cases for mine (both X20 and X30) but our X7 gig bags are fine - as was the gig bag for the Chimaera that I had briefly. Emerald gig bags are plenty good enough for normal use.

When my guitars leave the house they mostly travel in my Taylor hard bag, which works fine for an X20. It is rare that hard cases ever leave the homestead. I prefer gig bags for the accessory pockets, but I carry all of my guitars myself. In a situation where anyone else ever handled them, it would be hard case all the way.
This is good info, thank you. Yes, for real travel, and when others would be handling, I'd go hard case. I'm looking more for going to a friend's house or an open mic and want to have the bag, as you said, for accessories and such. If there's a bit of padding, I'm sure it would be fine. And that this is made for the X30, it seems to make sense to get theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Do you have a favorite strap lock system? The recent Schaller strap locks come as a one piece wood screw. A carbon fiber thin wall thickness needs the older 2 piece Schaller so the wood screw can be replaced with a machine screw that a nut or lock nut will fit. Emerald would probably install whatever strap lock button you want. Their standard buttons that I received don't fit the Schaller locks.

If you ask for a spare nut & saddle they will throw one of each in with the case candy.

Do you have a bridge preference like pinless or whatever?
Thanks for the info re: strap locks. I don't have a favorite, so I will have to figure something out when it gets here. I love the idea of the spare nut and saddle, so that's a great suggestion. I went with pinless, which I am fine with. I understand there is a trick to making string changes easy, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is it somewhat well padded? I don't typically travel far, nor am I rough with my gear when I do, but I'd like it to have a little bit of padding.

I don’t have anything to compare it with, but it seems pretty well padded to me. Perhaps these will help:

IMG_1123.jpgIMG_1124.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-26-2021, 04:31 PM

Would that be one finger worth of padding?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 02-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I don’t have anything to compare it with, but it seems pretty well padded to me. Perhaps these will help:

Attachment 52261Attachment 52262
Thanks for the pictures. I think that'll do for what I need it for. If I need greater protection, I'll use the hard case. Much appreciated!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Would that be one finger worth of padding?
It's just enough protection in a pinch.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It's just enough protection in a pinch.
That's all I need, for the most part. Thanks! Now, I just have to wait four months. I have a couple to sell, so that'll give me time to get that to happen.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info re: strap locks. I don't have a favorite, so I will have to figure something out when it gets here.
Perhaps ask to install:
- the pickup jack a couple inches below the standard position
- a separate neck strap button in the usual tail pin spot

So a neck straps won't need cutting or adaptors?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber