The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Default Composite Acoustics

Hello - I recall seeing a previous post inferring that Peavey was not going to be focusing much energy on the CF guitars in the future. I cannot find what I believe I recall reading, and am close to a purchase. CA has been a leader in my thoughts, and don't want to make a mistake. I've always owned traditional wood except for an Ovation in the 70's. Otherwise no experience or much exposure. Anyone with insight? Thank you
Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

My thought is that if you found one with a tone and playability that you love, just grab it and not worry about Peavey's intention. CF is very stable and durable it seems. I got my CA many moons ago and I have no worries that I'll ever need support...
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Thank you for your thoughts
Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 AM

I have an Ox I bought used from AGF classifieds a number of years ago. As I remember it is pre-peavey but would need to check that. Anyway it has been a great guitar and I haven't been particularly kind to it. I live off the grid and often leave it uncased in my shop or vehicle year round in Arkansas. About a year or so ago I noticed the neck had moved and angled up slightly where it joins the body. Took it to a good tech and he filed down lower frets and adjusted the bridge. Has played super sweet since.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Upper frets of course.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Didn't know that the neck could/would bow. Glad it was repairable. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:45 PM

The neck didn't bow as it remained stable and straight . It was just where it joined the body it angled up slightly therefore raising the action. That happened over a number of years and I feel pretty confident it is stable.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:24 PM

I've had a CA GX for two and a half years now. Love it! Great tone and playability. It sounds especially good plugged in with the custom built-in Fishman Aura system.

The neck has been rock-solid. Almost never goes out of tune. Every week I have a gig with another guitarist, and he always tunes to me. If I'm in doubt, I check with the built-in tuner or a piano but tbh that's a formality now!
Old 09-28-2019, 05:00 AM

Youngblood, I have two pre-peaveys and had to have both of mine redone, Action Sound in Hawkins, Tx. did the work, and now they are perfect, told me that it is very unlikely that the the necks would ever move again, that is unless you leave them in your car and the temps get over 100 degrees, which is does here in Texas.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:31 AM

That's helpful information from each of you. I appreciate it. It's a big purchase for one who has virtually no experience or exposure to CF guitars. I'm really operating on reading and advise. The advice at this point is really only from good folks like yourselves on this forum. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber