The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Default A visit with kramster and his guitars, thoughts regarding several models. (Review?)

Some time ago I got into carbon fiber for traveling and while my wife understood the advantages, she just wouldn't believe that carbon could sound as good as wood. The three guitars she had heard either sounded boxy (small travel guitars) or to bright to her ears (Rainsong)

Fortunately, I have the good fortune of living not to far away from our own kramster, AGF carbon fiber legend, and he was kind enough to allow me to audition some of his beautiful guitars to help me narrow down my ideas on my own search for sweet acoustic bliss. So I borrowed a friends Taylor GS5 (mahogany/ceder) and went to compare guitars.

My journey started in 2018 when I emailed kramster about potentially trying some of his gear and found not only was he willing to lend a hand, but was kind, generous, and humble to boot. Our community is lucky to have him and he is certainly a fantastic defacto ambassador for carbon fiber technology as it concerns acoustics. Here are a few thought on the guitars I played.

Composite Acoustics Pre-Pevey
I didn't really instead to try this guitar, but since it was sitting out when I arrived, I gave it a whirl. The real stand out for me was how lush the neck felt. It was like smooth soft sateen. The acoustic sound was a little bit lacking compared to some of the other guitars, but it was not at all bad. All and all, a fun well made guitar.

Emerald X20
The main reason I went over to his house was to try the X20 and 30. I have a version1 X7 which is a great travel guitar, but can sound very boxy and toy like with the low notes. The x20 has a much fuller sound with great crystal clear highs but ultimately less satisfying lows and mid compared to the Taylor. I was impressed, but not in love. This is a very comfortable guitar that sounds great but wasn't what I was looking for.

Emerald X30
The X30 is huge, I mean monstrously big, but ultimately is one of the most comfortable acoustics I have held. The Taylor I compared it to was much smaller but did not fit nearly as nicely in the lap. The sound of this guitar is really amazing. The X30 has such a satisfyingly rich base response with beautiful clear highs. If you know anything Bout electric guitar amos, think fender blackface cleans. Slightly scooped mid range. It doesn't sounds flubby or artificial in anyway and is one of my favorite guitars I have ever played. I cannot recommend the X30 highly enough, especially for heavy strumming. It does sound equally good fingerpicked though.

McPherson Sable
Towards the end of my time with kramster he mentioned he had a McPherson and asked if I wanted to try it. I am so glad I did. Every bit of this guitar oozes quality. It feels a little smaller than the X20, but has a richer base response I think. This is the guitar that sounded the most like "wood" to me. Is doesn't have the lows that the X30 does, but has much more mid emphasis. I would think of this more like Marshall cleans as apposed to blackface. Is playing with a full band it may have a better a lot in the mix because of that. This is a world class guitar all the way.

So all in all, my wife was convinced that carbon fiber can sound as good as wood, and I have narrowed down my search to either an X30, or a McPherson Sable.

Thanks again kramster for being a swell guy and spending the time to let me play your guitars. If you guys have any questions or want more in depth thoughts feel free to ask. I know kramster got a few pics so maybe he will even post some.

Note: I typed this in my phone so there may be lots if errors. My phone keep wanting to change kramster to transfer ��

Last edited by Winzzy; 09-15-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:27 PM

For what its worth, the X30 and the McPherson are what sold my wife on Carbon fiber. She is now on board for more than just travel purposes.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Guest 928

Winzzy

You should probably get the X30 and the McPherson. If you don't, you'll always wonder if the got the right one.

So what you do, as has been done by some of your CF forefathers, you buy yourself the 30 and the McPherson for your wife. You might want to talk to Earl since he's been really good at this.

The nice thing about the noted strategy is both guitars would be easy to sell if not satisfactory (or if your wife were to divorce you). Let us know if you give it a try.

As his uncle I had no idea, but take great pride in the fact, that someone views Kramster as "kind, generous, and humble." How much time did you spend with him?

Perhaps more importantly, he has been a leader in the development of CF guitars by virtue of his continual support of the various makers and by his many demonstrations of the various instruments.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Winzzy, nice post. Glad you got to meet up with Kramster. I agree that the K-man is a national treasure for us CF fans.

We've been to his house twice. Once was for the FEB 2018 Phoenix Carbon Fest, where he hosted as ten of us gathered to sample a total of 24 composite guitars and ukulele covering nearly everything on the market (most his, others brought by participants). I got to play an X20 there for the very first time, but a fellow forum member had already sold me his six string X20 before we left for Arizona. She tried an X7 there which ultimately led to buying her own a year later. The second visit was last October when Alice and I met up with him, sampled more guitars and then went out to dinner. That trip resulted in my purchase of an X30 a couple of months later.

No advice on how to convince your wife - mine is easily corruptible. Technically four of the eight CF guitars in our house are hers (Rainsong WS-1000, CA Cargo, and both X7's) but she lets me play them too. The Blackbird Lucky 13 and Emerald X20, X20-12 and X30 are all mine, but she can always play them if she wants. She doesn't want to after getting her own X7 bubinga then later buying Wicked Wahine's X7 koa. Both are V2 models (forward facing offset sound hole) with the current X7 being V3.

The X30 is a huge sounding guitar - just awesome. I find it a bit big, but only because it puts my right hand into an unfamiliar spot/angle for finger picking while seated. It would be great for strumming and if I played standing up. X20 fits me and my technique perfectly. McPherson was very, very nice too, but I had already bought an X20 in both six and twelve string versions.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:06 PM

Said event

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-15-2019, 05:11 PM

I can already tell that developing a greater presence here will be risky for my wallet lol. I could certainly see owning them both eventually, but as a teacher, guitar acquisition is a slooooow process.

I wish I could try the "this is your guitar and this is my guitar" spin, but my wife plays the piano.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Winzzy

You should probably get the X30 and the McPherson. If you don't, you'll always wonder if the got the right one.

Ha, he did hint that, but his really nice yet obviously practical wife kinda kept him in line...for now. She knows guitar sound... he is lucky...make that oh so darn lucky to have her

[QUOTE=EvanB;6163230]As his uncle I had no idea, but take great pride in the fact, that someone views Kramster as "kind, generous, and humble." How much time did you spend with him? [/QOUTE]

Uhhhh...I'm right here! ...👀...Anyway...thanks I think
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Last time I was up at Guitar Pickers in Scottsdale Al had a couple of pre-peavy CA guitars in stock. Can't remember what they were. Smaller than a dread, but larger than a Cargo.

Since you are local and all.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
YAY AZ !! We have the meats..I mean CF guitar folks... wrong TV commercial..
Old 09-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ha, he did hint that, but his really nice yet obviously practical wife kinda kept him in line...for now. She knows guitar sound... he is lucky...make that oh so darn lucky to have her
That's the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Last time I was up at Guitar Pickers in Scottsdale Al had a couple of pre-peavy CA guitars in stock. Can't remember what they were. Smaller than a dread, but larger than a Cargo.

Thanks for the heads up. My heart is pretty set on the X30 and the McPherson now, but it is always nice to try other guitars out since you just never know. I had no idea I would love the McPherson as much as I did, it wasn't even on my radar.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winzzy View Post

love the McPherson as much as I did, it wasn't even on my radar.
Radar Love... could be a song in it
Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Radar Love... could be a song in it
I will write it for the next "Carbonfest". Slightly different version of course.

Last edited by Winzzy; 09-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

A really nice review you did there Winzzy ! Thanks, I've been wanting to try a Sable for a year now, but haven't had the chance, you make me want to try one even more now!

Evan cracks me up....but makes a lot of sense doing it.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Guest 928

Earl; It's nice when you can play with each others toys.

Winzzi; So buy your honey a piano--that might give you a little license. You might also want to touch base with Captain Jim. I have the impression that his Honey buys guitars for him because of his stellar play and song (and he also knows how to fix the plumbing). The lesson I've taken from that is that it helps to be able to play to the quality of the instrument.

Another possibility is to rope in your relatives. My mother-in-law bought me one of my first CFs. In short, is there a sense of dowry in your wife's tribe?

Nephew K; I know you are right there and I'm glad that you are still thinking. And you're very welcome.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 PM

I have already promised a baby grand as soon as we have a house that can fit it. The inlaws is a good angle, I wonder if I could make that happen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber