The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: What is your take on the RainSong N2 neck
I love the N2 neck 27 44.26%
I adapt to all kinds of necks- never a problem for me 21 34.43%
The N2 neck is the weirdest/oddest neck I've ever played 13 21.31%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Were these votes tabulated in Florida?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:32 PM

Been over this a number of times but it’s just a odd neck, that simple. If it was that loved others would copy it? Nothing out there like it. Rainsongs are great guitars with what to me is a chunky electric guitar neck.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I can get on with the N2 neck but would prefer something between the RainSong N1 and N2 neck profiles.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Been over this a number of times but it’s just a odd neck, that simple. If it was that loved others would copy it? Nothing out there like it. Rainsongs are great guitars with what to me is a chunky electric guitar neck.
Very true. I agree that Rainsong are great guitars even though I don't care for the necks myself.

Yes, we have been over this a number of times, I agree. Here are my thoughts on that in general. We see that sort of repetitiveness all the time in the forums here. We probably run out of things to talk about, so the same subjects come up time and again. The alternative would be to … actually play our guitars rather than posting. So, we chatter away.

I took advantage of Neil Hogan's "bundles" sales this past weekend on totallyguitars.com, so I will probably be posting less and playing more now. He finally put together a whole bunch of solo fingerstyle material in which he teaches his arranging approach, the theory behind it, and the tunes from that perspective including guidance to "making it your own". I don't see that kind of teaching very often.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

There is a rotation of sorts with new people coming in. We all go through "the stages" of discovery with carbon fiber...

1. Hey, does anyone here know anything about carbon fiber guitars?
2. I saw one of these at Guitar Center, but I didn't play it.
3. I went back and played it - plays good, but the price!!
4. What other carbon fiber guitars are out there?
5. Why doesn't someone make a $500 carbon fiber guitar?
6. OMG, I just saw an Emerald on Facebook - are they any good?
7. What stores carry Emerald?
8. I have to have one of those.
9. Did you see what these things cost???
10. What do you mean you have to order it direct? No dealers???
11. Why do some (most) guitar shops not carry carbon fiber guitars?
12. If they are so good, why isn't everyone playing one?
13. I bought a used RainSong, so I'm part of the club.
14. The neck on the RainSong I bought "feels different."
15. Different is good, right?
16. Are all carbon fiber necks this chunky?
17. What other carbon fiber guitars have a thinner neck? (A: All of them)
18. Can anyone recommend exercises to help with hand cramping?
19. I heard Emerald can make a custom neck profile - is that true?
20. OMG, did you know they charge a bunch extra for that???
21. Chunky seems OK.
22. I just listed my guitar for sale: one in, one out, that's my plan.
23. OK, two guitars seems to work for me.
24. Where do you store all the cases, now that I'm up to 5 guitars?
25. Oh... veneers on carbon fiber - did you see those?
26. OMG, did you see what a veneer costs?
27. I can justify a veneer, because my kid probably won't go to college, anyway.
28. My wife said, " 'The guitars or me!' I'm going to miss her."
29. Check out my guitars for sale in the classifieds.
30. I think I can be happy with just one really great guitar.

And then we start over with the next "new guy." I like to think of it as part of the circle of life.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

The solution is an FAQ sticky, since it seems to be a repeatable trend, at least enough to quantify it in such detail.

You made quite a good list there. I suggest making a thread in which the OP is that list, and the rest of the thread is folks filling it in with their answers. The OP would then edit it and make it a sticky. That, to me, would seem a more efficient way to get the answers to the folks who need them.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-06-2019, 06:33 PM

I own a Rainsong with the N2 neck and find it chunky and not comfortable. However, I like its rock solid stability.

I've owned the guitar for a number of years now and have adapted to the Rainsong's baseball bat neck.

I like the guitar and am glad I own it, but the neck is too much.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
There is a rotation of sorts with new people coming in. We all go through "the stages" of discovery with carbon fiber...

1. Hey, does anyone here know anything about carbon fiber guitars?
2. I saw one of these at Guitar Center, but I didn't play it.
3. I went back and played it - plays good, but the price!!
4. What other carbon fiber guitars are out there?
5. Why doesn't someone make a $500 carbon fiber guitar?
6. OMG, I just saw an Emerald on Facebook - are they any good?
7. What stores carry Emerald?
8. I have to have one of those.
9. Did you see what these things cost???
10. What do you mean you have to order it direct? No dealers???
11. Why do some (most) guitar shops not carry carbon fiber guitars?
12. If they are so good, why isn't everyone playing one?
13. I bought a used RainSong, so I'm part of the club.
14. The neck on the RainSong I bought "feels different."
15. Different is good, right?
16. Are all carbon fiber necks this chunky?
17. What other carbon fiber guitars have a thinner neck? (A: All of them)
18. Can anyone recommend exercises to help with hand cramping?
19. I heard Emerald can make a custom neck profile - is that true?
20. OMG, did you know they charge a bunch extra for that???
21. Chunky seems OK.
22. I just listed my guitar for sale: one in, one out, that's my plan.
23. OK, two guitars seems to work for me.
24. Where do you store all the cases, now that I'm up to 5 guitars?
25. Oh... veneers on carbon fiber - did you see those?
26. OMG, did you see what a veneer costs?
27. I can justify a veneer, because my kid probably won't go to college, anyway.
28. My wife said, " 'The guitars or me!' I'm going to miss her."
29. Check out my guitars for sale in the classifieds.
30. I think I can be happy with just one really great guitar.

And then we start over with the next "new guy." I like to think of it as part of the circle of life.

That was really funny. Thanks Cap'n.
I love my Rainsong 12 fret Dreadnought as a festival guitar, a leave out of the case guitar and a travel guitar. The neck is OK, not a deal killer but certainly not my favorite. I play my wood guitars much more than my RS and every time I play the RS I have to adjust to it. Once I adjust its fine.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Yep- i was in denial about this fact for a too long, probably because I really wanted to love it. The Taylor neck is probably the most closely copied neck out there. The Rainsong is a like an electric guitar neck or like some old Guilds. Not only this, but the fretboard with no radius makes it feel even chunkier. Not for me.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
the fretboard with no radius makes it feel even chunkier. Not for me.
Rainsongs are radiused. Admittedly, at 20" radius, they are about the flattest boards out there other than actual flat ones.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-10-2019, 06:46 PM

I've never been in love with the Rainsong neck (but I didn't hate it either). Recently, I started to develop some pain/soreness in the base of my fretting hand thumb (open B7 chord was a real adventure), and thought that it might be related to the shape of the Rainsong neck.

I stopped playing it a couple of weeks ago, except for two short periods (2-3 songs at open mics), and the soreness seems to be going away. Hmmm...
Old 09-10-2019, 08:43 PM

It has been touted and lauded by Rainsong that the neck was created in consultation with Steve Miller and luthier John Bolin. Here is verbatim what is on their FB page regarding this topic:

N2 Neck

The new N2 neck is a result of an extensive long-term collaboration with the renowned artist Steve Miller and master luthier John Bolin. The neck design is based on a modified “U” profile that has been popular in guitars since the 1950s. While the N2 has a more substantial feel than the original RainSong 6-string neck, it is ergonomically sound and actually results in better transfer of string vibrational energy to the soundboard.

The N2 features a truss rod that is accessible from the headstock. Graphite does not warp or bow with changes in humidity and temperature. The purpose of a truss rod in the N2 is to allow customization of the fingerboard relief to individual preferences.

The best question I've heard asked regarding this collaboration was asked by AGF member Doubleneck. He asked something along the lines of, "What does a guy who predominantly plays electric guitar and another who builds them have to do with the creation of acoustic guitar necks?" Obviously I'm paraphrasing but you get the point.

I was the proud owner of a Shorty for 4 years. I've often said on here that the neck was actually kind of eye-opening for me. It was because of Rainsong that I decided i preferred a thicker neck profile than any acoustic guitar I previously had. That said, not as thick as the NS or N2. It took me awhile to realize that I was fighting the neck far too hard and thus sold it. Maybe it was that modified "U" in combination with the 20" radius? Don't know.

What I do know is that I could not adapt to the NS neck. Maybe I just didn't want to when I experienced the shape of other guitar necks in CF and in wood while I still had the Shorty. I love that size and all the specs of the Shorty and really can appreciate the tone and quality of the Rainsong build.

That neck though....
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM

I didn't vote given the options presented. I am somewhat sensitive to neck profile and was forced to abandon all my 1-11/16" MLO Martin guitars. But either the N1 or N2 Rainsong necks work for me, as do Taylor, Emerald, Blackbird, Seagull, etc. I need to have 1-3/4" nut width minimum.

I have a preference for the original N1 neck, which is why I will always hang on to my old WS-1000 from 2001.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 AM

old threat I know, BUT I voted weirdest neck. I had a few Rainsongs with the N2 and at first it felt OK and I thought I would adapt but in the end they got sold. I took a chance on an older OM with the N1 neck and it feels great, really like an electric actually, and I like the no truss rod as well, the relief is perfect and does not move
Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 PM

*revisit*

Excuse me please: slow day, cabin fever from COVID restrictions, new comment from Blue4now, and I now have an H-DR/T with N2 neck.

** À couple years ago ago I was worried by comments by AGFers who called the N2 neck clunky. Yikes.

So I went back to the local RainSong dealer to measure them and compare to other similar price guitars. CH-WS, CH-OM, CH-PA vs Gibson J-15, Martin D16, Taylor 3xx.

To me they *all* felt good and about the same. The width, thickness, and circumference measured same enough to make no difference, and were similar to dimensions noted Ted of LAguitarsales in another discussion. So decided that NS and N2 necks are no problem for me.

** Then this poll popped up. I'm relieved that I'm amongst the 77% who are OK with the N2. And sympathy for the 23% who can't adapt.

The 77% seems pretty decent judging from discussions on the main forum about rejecting necks vis wide/narrow, thick/thin, flatter/rounder, C-shapes D-shapes V-shapes, tapers, thumb-frettable, etc.

** So last year I got an H-DR/T with N2 neck

My fret hand is wide with short fingers (had to wear size small cold weather guitarist gloves).

The N2 neck is comfortable for me. There was a five minute hiccup when I discovered the shoulder spots. Made a note to not place the thumb on the shoulders - it's now automatic and not noticed at all.

** And recently RainSong reintroduced the thin N1 neck **

N1 6-string and N1 12-string necks are available again and may be a solution for some folks.

** What are the chances of yet-another neck option ?

Contra:
- RainSong is a small company that needs to be very careful
- They are producing and selling their full production capacity of 1000+ guitars to the 77% who are OK with N2. This means that there isn't any real financial penalty from potential customers who dislike N2.
- They sell through dealers who order from the factory, and are wary about proliferation of options that cause customer paralysis. (examples: offer the same price for different sizes; reduced the variation from multiple series to a few series; obscured availability of neck options, obscured availability of sound hole option, obscured availability of tobacco burst and marine burst)

For those looking for a new neck design:
- What profile and taper will satisfy significantly more than 77%?
- Will it replace all necks (N2 long scale and NS mid scale, N1 long scale, N1 12-string long scale) or be yet another confusing option? Which neck will dealers offer as samples?

How will expensive new molds be funded?
- Will enough interested AGFers contribute enough for new molds?
- Will à major vender(s) organize and commit sales the way that Ted at LAguitarsales did a decade ago for the NS molds that made the Shorty feasible?

Cheers

Last edited by casualmusic; 02-24-2021 at 06:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber