The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Great input, and much appreciated.

I have so little experience with nylon string guitars that, in my case, ignorance might be bliss, and also less expensive. I really don't know what a good one sounds like.

Is there that much difference in tonal quality between one with a solid top/laminate back/side, and all solid wood? My experience with steel strings is that this is sometimes a gray area. Is all-solid more or less important with a nylon string (I know -- loaded question).

Thanks.
All solid is generally "better". But construction has a much greater affect on tone/response than laminate back/sides. The general reason that all solid is considered to produce better sound than laminate is because solid wood will open-up more with age than wood that is laminated with glue (which is what keeps the wood from opening up... like a thick poly finish is also known to do). But it's hard to judge solid being better than laminate because wood varies, and more importantly... guitar models and builders very. Pretty much all of the luthiers who build use all solid wood construction. So one might infer that it produces superior tone. But it must be factored that luthier-built instruments are generally better made, which is a major factor in sound as well.

Anyways... this is all just my opinion, formed through experience owning and playing many nylon and steel strung instruments (solid and laminate) over the years. My laminate Cordoba 55FCE Ziricote takes no back seat to my solid Cordoba FCWE, C12 or F10 in terms of sound or response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical