The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Default Isn't this forum supposed to be about ACOUSTIC archtops?

Just had to vent. Why is there so much electric content flooding this archtop specific forum recently? I really had high hopes for this section when it debuted, hoping it would feature some interesting threads on archtop acoustics, not hollowbody and semihollowbody electrics. An archtop is an acoustic instrument, floating pickup or not. Could we perhaps keep the electric content where it belongs for those of us interested in archtops and not hollowbody electrics?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM

In other words "get of my lawn you kids!" Just kidding but trying to control a internet forum is hard to do
Old 12-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Yeah, just felt like ranting a bit this morning! No offense intended but was hoping this forum's "archtop" section didn't go the way of similar forums- a place to talk Gibson ES 175s etc. Oh well.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM

I hear ya. The beautiful true acoustic archtop is in a class all by itself. In the hands of a gifted musician they can be magical. And that's way I can't own one!

But I do have a Gibson 335. Oops. ...I know, dont go there and not even close!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM

But where do you draw the line?

Does an L5 CES qualify? How about one of Linda Manzer's creations, with a set pickup, like Julian Lage plays?

Does an old all acoustic birch plywood harmony count?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM

You're absolutely right Jeff, but I suppose my thinking is that an archtop is a guitar that is designed to be played acoustically. I don't know if its just me, but I have been seeing more threads lately featuring what I would call hollowbody electrics, and seem like they would be better suited for the electric section. But, I can certainly understand the confusion that non archtop players have about the instrument.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Fair enough, I'd say...this is the AGF, after all.

I definitely don't get the talk of semi-hollows in the archtop threads...they have an "arched top," but they're not an archtop...if that makes any sense at all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 PM

I've never understood threads about things being off topic being on topic.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Arch top designed and built as an acoustic... but may have a pickup...( not screwed to or imbedded in the top) ..ok.

Guitar designed to be amplified and all but useless as an acoustic... not ok.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchimneys View Post
Just had to vent. Why is there so much electric content flooding this archtop specific forum recently? I really had high hopes for this section when it debuted, hoping it would feature some interesting threads on archtop acoustics, not hollowbody and semihollowbody electrics. An archtop is an acoustic instrument, floating pickup or not. Could we perhaps keep the electric content where it belongs for those of us interested in archtops and not hollowbody electrics?
I have not seen anything to indicate that the Archtop subforum would be strictly geared to acoustics. J.R. Rogers, AGF Owner/Founder, has defined it as follows: A place to discuss archtop guitars. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=archtop+forum
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM

What about the Godin 5th Avenue? The basic model is a full hollowbody acoustic only archtop guitar - then the Kingpin adds one P90 - the Kingpin CW adds another P90 and a cutaway - then we go up to humbuckers, floating humbuckers, Bigsby tremelos, etc. as we go up the 5th Avenue line. I like to call my 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II an "acoustic/electric" (), even though that designation might be more appropriate for a basic Kingpin with, say, a K&K Definity pickup added to it...

Anyway, I love my CW Kingpin II!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchimneys View Post
You're absolutely right Jeff, but I suppose my thinking is that an archtop is a guitar that is designed to be played acoustically. I don't know if its just me, but I have been seeing more threads lately featuring what I would call hollowbody electrics, and seem like they would be better suited for the electric section. But, I can certainly understand the confusion that non archtop players have about the instrument.
I agree.

I don't mind some electric chatter, but I already get that via the Telecaster and Gear forums. I come here for acoustic chatter.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm with Green Chmneys !

A true archtop is a pre-electric design acoustic guitar. It may have a floating pick-up if absolutely necessary.

Anything which looks like an archtop but has pick-ups screwed to the body is an electric guitar.

Simples.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 PM

I am one of the guilty offenders of this travesty. I humbly apologise. (The post about Nelson). I must admit that I was a little confused as to where to post it...

Although I can enjoy the purely acoustic sound of a semi-hollow or hollowbody "electric" guitar, in fact that thin sound miked up can be great in a variety of recording contexts. Couldn't an instrument be judged acoustic or electric depending on the context of each specific performance?

Eish it's getting late here...
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

If you look up archtop guitar on Wikipedia you will see a batch of electrics - so much for wicked-pedia!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops