The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Any decent nylon guitars under $300 with cutaway?

I have been looking to buy a new classical guitar, I've only ever played steel strings, but I love the way nylon string guitars sounded at the store.

A few of the songs I like to play are high up on the fretboard, so I have been looking for a nice and solid classical guitar with a cutaway, and my budget runs around $300.

Anyone have suggestions? I have been looking at the Washburn C64CE and the Ibanez GA6CE, which are nicely priced, and have some decent reviews. They are also acoustic electric, which is nice, but not necessarily necessary (:P) for my needs. A friend I know also offered to sell a Taylor NS72ce to me for $1300, I'm almost considering it since it's almost a grand saved from the retail, heck, I could resell it if I wanted, but I couldn't. xD

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Rizzice; 05-02-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 AM

That is a pretty good price on the taylor NS-72ce. Go for it.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM

The new Cordoba studio GK (around 550), the new Cordoba Orchestra 12 (around 550) the new Yamaha NTX 700 (around 490).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Within your price range, you're going to have a bit of trouble finding a new guitar that sounds good and plays well. You may luck out, but if your price ceiling is important, a used guitar might be a better choice.

Also, you should be aware that some nylon string guitars with cutaways are regular classicals with a 2" nut, 12-fret neck, flat freboard, and fan bracing. Others are crossovers with narrower nuts, radiused fretboards and 14-fret necks in some cases. Some may even have modified fan or entirely different bracing. Taylor's NS guitars are all crossovers with 14-fret necks on the "14" models, while Cordoba and some of the other similarly priced brands have both classicals and crossovers with cutaways.

Neither is a bad choice in and of itself, but you should be aware of the difference and try a few of each, because playing style and tone will almost always be different. Crossovers are a little easier for steel-string players to adapt to, but they tend to have a different, more contemporary tone than regular classicals, especially if they have a 14-fret neck.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM

A quick search on Musican's Friend revealed this: The Dean CSCM Espaņa Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric, which does not appear to be a bad choice at all:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ku=512917#used

I'm not familiar with this guitar myself, but it is the only one in your price range to offer a solid Cedar top AND a cutaway (and electronics to boot). When buying an acoustic, you definitely want to steer yourself towards a solid top. Both the Washburn & the Ibanez you mentioned are all-laminate instruments, and are to be avoided in my opinion, particularly if you can get an instrument in the same price range with a solid Cedar top, like the Dean. The following site will give you some great tips on purchasing a classical guitar. Look it over (one of the first things it mentions is the importance of a solid top). I think you will find that the Dean could be a good entry point for what you are looking for, and might very well be an instrument you can hang onto for a while. Check it out:

http://www.classicalguitarbuilder.co...ewsletter.html

Hope this is of some help.
-Eric
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Looks like GuitarFiles has this guitar for a VERY competetive price. Check it out:

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/module...oducts_id=2461

If you buy it, buy it there.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Hear! Hear!

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Haha, I've been considering it. It's more expensive than my steel string which is what I play primarily, but if I were to buy it, I'd probably make the N72ce my primary xD

The thing is it has a few small dings here and there, nothing that effects the sound, but I'm wondering how much the price depreciates after it loses mint condition. I'm guessing not as much as my friend is discounting me, so it still might be worth it. I've also read the model is kind of a steel-string/classical hybrid, so it doesn't really excel in either category completely, does anyone know if that's true? Sounds to me like it's just different more than anything..

Last edited by Rizzice; 05-02-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Your best bet is to try the Taylor for awhile. If you like it and can handle the cash, buy it. Personally, I don't care how my guitars gain/lose in value as they age - as long as I keep enjoying them, they are 'priceless'.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzice View Post
A friend I know also offered to sell a Taylor NS72ce to me for $1300
Geez, i'd love to be in your position at the moment. Having purchased my NS24ce a few months ago im already now gas'ing for my next guitar, and ive got my eyes set on the NS72/74.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzice View Post
I've also read the model is kind of a steel-string/classical hybrid, so it doesn't really excel in either category completely, does anyone know if that's true? Sounds to me like it's just different more than anything..
The NS series are crossover/hybrid guitars yes so they are in a league of their own in terms of how they sound. But let me tell you, before i picked up my NS24ce, i had only ever owned regular classicals (with their 2" flat fretboards), after trying the Taylor out with its very fast neck and more narrow radiused fretboard, it was like discovering fire...

To me, the only downside i've found is that the NS lacks abit of volume compared to a regular classical (i'll compare it to my Tak) but the excellent playability and unique tone definitely makes up for it, but there is the ES which is great if i wanna play plugged in.

Do not play it expecting it to sound like a typical nylon stringer, they are very different, but not in the bad way. You have a nice Taylor sitting in front of you, dont kill the opportunity with a different $300 classical
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
Geez, i'd love to be in your position at the moment. Having purchased my NS24ce a few months ago im already now gas'ing for my next guitar, and ive got my eyes set on the NS72/74.

The NS series are crossover/hybrid guitars yes so they are in a league of their own in terms of how they sound. But let me tell you, before i picked up my NS24ce, i had only ever owned regular classicals (with their 2" flat fretboards), after trying the Taylor out with its very fast neck and more narrow radiused fretboard, it was like discovering fire...

To me, the only downside i've found is that the NS lacks abit of volume compared to a regular classical (i'll compare it to my Tak) but the excellent playability and unique tone definitely makes up for it, but there is the ES which is great if i wanna play plugged in.

Do not play it expecting it to sound like a typical nylon stringer, they are very different, but not in the bad way. You have a nice Taylor sitting in front of you, dont kill the opportunity with a different $300 classical
Very well said. I will only add that the Taylor NS guitars not only differ in projection but in the amount of tonal colors that they offer. If you like the tone, that is great, but you won't get alot of variety in the tones. It is like coloring with the 8 count crayon box vs the 64 count box.

If you decide against the NS, I am sure your friend would have no problem moving it here at that great price.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Buy that Taylor. I have one coming this week and it was considerably more than 1300.

Ask him to try it out. Then buy it!

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM

...and try to find out why he's selling it so cheap! Look for cracks.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 PM

...and if YOU end up not buying it, I might want to.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies! So an update..

I can afford the NS72ce, but I have to sell my current guitar to get a little extra funding. I only have 1 guitar right now and it's a steel string, and also a worthless old classical that I enjoy playing from time to time.

With the NS72ce will I feel lacking without a steel string guitar? It will probably be at least another 6 months, if not a year, before I will invest in one if I buy this Taylor NS. But my hope is I'll fall in love with the NS and not feel the need for a steel string?

Yeah, it's not in perfect condition, but I played it, and it is nice, no large cracks that would be a problem in the long run as far as I know. He's a close friend, who has too many guitars and not enough money for school, so he has given me this great offer since he said he doesn't play the guitar nearly as much as his 714ce.

The thing is, if I were to sell my Yamaha, I would be pretty close to affording a used 612ce or 714ce too, not sure which I would prefer as my one and only guitar >.< Although right now I am hooked to the unique feel and newness of the NS, I don't know if I will end up regretting only having a nylon string guitar in the long run.

Last edited by Rizzice; 05-04-2010 at 06:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical