The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Help with identification - novice question?

How can I easily identify different classical build types? I'm pretty good with steel strings OM, dread, jumbo slope shoulder, etc., but classicals are another thing. Is there a good reference somewhere that can help me distinguish between a Hauser, Fleta, Ramirez, Torres, Smallman, Rodriguez, etc. I found myself being drawn to Fleta (I think). Without knowing how to identify the build styles I'm really just guessing.

The shops in my area aren't very helpful and I'll probably end up having to buy online so knowing the character of certain build styles would help narrow my search.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM

It's a daunting task - I learned over several years through participating in the AGMF Classical Corner..there are some incredibly well-informed posters on that forum. I'm not sure if anyone has created one essay describing the distinctions between the great classical guitar designs. I would recommend googling each guitar you described and learn as you go. I know there are slight variations in body size, but the main differences seem to be in the bracing design. I have finally learned that I much prefer the more traditional fan bracing sound over the more modern lattice and double-top designs....it's such a subjective thing, but I find most lattice-braced and double-top guitars mid-range heavy, resulting in a nasal banjo-esque sound. I currently own a 2006 Moreira Hauser Concert a brand spankin' new 2010 Moreira Jeff Elliot replica...both with traditional fan bracing. The Hauser seems to have a smaller body size and I know the famous Torres "plantilla" is also smaller.

Google away and I'll bet you'll learn about the classical guitar design variations.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 04-21-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
.... I have finally learned that I much prefer the more traditional fan bracing sound over the more modern lattice and double-top designs....
Double that. Perhaps an oversimplification, but lattice braced classical guitars are primarily about volume, whereas traditional fan braced classicals are about tone. It is quest for tone that drives us to classical, not volume. A well made fan braced classical has more than sufficient volume for playing in small gatherings. If you want/need more volume, learn to amplify cleanly... my humble opinion.

A great place to start learning is at classical luthiers websites. Both "Hill Guitars" and "Darren Hippner Guitars" have great general descriptions of the differences in the sounds of the various bracing patterns characterized by the innovators (Fleta, Ramirez, Torres, Hauser, et al). Also, if you really want to learn about what it takes to make a great guitar, spend lots of time reading on luthier forums. Both Hill & Hippner make and sell outstanding guitars at great values... most of us are moving away from the makers of Spain and we are in the hunt for the Great American Luthier... there are many. Buy American!

Last edited by billder99; 04-22-2010 at 07:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical