The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM

Default New Yamaha classical guitars in May 2010

The Yamaha CG line for the US market is due to be upgraded in May of this year. You probably have noticed that many of the CG line are now on closeout or not available to purchase. Based on what I know to-date, this seems to be the roadmap for the model changes:

TRANSITIONING
  • CG111C and CG111S become CG122MC and CG122MS (matte finish)
  • CG131S becomes CG142S and CG142C (now available with cedar top option)
  • CG151C and CG151S become CG162C and CG162S
  • CG171C and CG171S becomes CG182C and CG182S (ebony fretboards restored)
PERMANENTLY DISCONTINUED (?)
  • CG171SF (flamenco) apparently has no replacement
  • CG201S (all solid) apparently has no replacement
NEW MODELS
  • CG192C and CG192S (but still with laminated backs and sides)
The new lineup is already available in Europe.

I think it's a big mistake if Yamaha does not have a replacement for the CG171SF flamenco guitar. This was probably their best-buy in the CG line. It had a European spruce top like the CG171S and CG201S (the 131S and 151S used Sitka), lower action and tap plates. It also sold for $300 to $355 while the CG171S sold for $450.

As long as you were okay with the look of cypress B/S versus rosewood B/S, buying the CG171SF instead of the CG171S was like getting a slightly better guitar (lower action & tap-plate) for $100-$150 less. The CG171S also had laminated backs and sides the rosewood veneers were paper-thin, thereby imparting little if any improvement to the sound quality.

It will be interesting to see how the CG192C and CG192S perform. With the exception of the neck material (Spanish mahogany), rosette and upgraded tuners, they seem to be identical to the CG182C and CG182S. I'm hoping that they've made some improvements to the soundboard bracing.

Last edited by GuitarVlog; 04-20-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 AM

The CG171SF is a huge lose to the line. I have to say for price point and for someone who wants to get into nylon for the first time, this is a great guitar. Don't let the Flamenco thing throw you off. The one I played at GC had a great sound and great playability.

Too bad, I would have liked to see them add truss rods...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
The CG171SF is a huge lose to the line. I have to say for price point and for someone who wants to get into nylon for the first time, this is a great guitar.
No disagreement there. Am wondering who in their marketing department was responsible for this oversight.

I get the impression though that a lot of those who buy the CG171SF seem attracted to "flamenco" through a misinterpretation that Rodrigo y Gabriela play flamenco guitar (when they actually play metal on nylon-strings). Maybe Yamaha is trying to steer these potential customers to the NCX and NTX lines which were developed by RyG. Of course, the NCX and NTX are more expensive acoustic-electrics.

In any case, the new CG182S with laminated rosewood B/S should be equivalent in tone although it won't have golpeadors installed. I don't yet know what the pricing will be but I can assume that they will stay at roughly the same tiers. If so, it should be available for a street price of $450.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical