The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Andersen Archtop Fans please?

Hi, Everyone.

I'm just about to commission a 16" archtop to Mr. Andersen of Andersen guitars, Seattle WA.

I'm very excited about this since I've heard of his work for many years and tried a streamline archtop for a few seconds recently. What I've heard and felt is that he builds archtops that sounds as good as any other flat-tops. His guitars are X braced, designed and built to be a lightweight guitars. The wait-time was an issue for me and, I got lucky that he had a very very imminent slot emptied.

Well... until I hold the guitar in my hand, I have no idea how the actual guitar will feel like in my hand. I'm not really worried since I'm completely trusting him that he'll surprise me with the new guitar, and we're having a very interesting communication choosing materials and colors etc. And.... I'm rather fidget than worried. : )

I just wanted to hear some inputs from other Andersen owners or anyone with impressions on the guitars.

Yay...

Last edited by gtrst; 04-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Cool man, I'm a huge archtop lover, and I have owned several vintage archtops (Epis and Gibsons), I just ordered my first new archtop: a 16" Collings archtop. Can't wait, but I think it's going to be until the end of the year before it's finished.

I have played a few Andersen archtops (and flattops) at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival and at Different City/High Desert Guitars in Santa Fe. They are great guitars, especially the archtops, great acoustic tone. I felt that the necks are a little skinny but if you are custom ordering one and that matters to you, you might ask for a wider nut and string spacing and a beefier neck. Other than that, I would own one in a heartbeat.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Oooooo...a 16-inch Collings. My dream archtop! Natural or sunburst?

To stay on topic, I have never played an Anderson archtop but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I'm particularly intrigued by the oval hole archtop he offers. Almost bought one (used, sight unseen) but pulled out before pulling the trigger. There are a couple of used ones available at Buffalo Bros. if you're not looking for a new one. [Oops, just looked; they only have one left.]
Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oooooo...a 16-inch Collings. My dream archtop! Natural or sunburst?

To stay on topic, I have never played an Anderson archtop but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I'm particularly intrigued by the oval hole archtop he offers. Almost bought one (used, sight unseen) but pulled out before pulling the trigger. There are a couple of used ones available at Buffalo Bros. if you're not looking for a new one. [Oops, just looked; they only have one left.]
sunburst, comes standard on the archtop so I am told. good thing too.

Speaking of the oval hole Andersen, I almost bought a cedar topped Andersen oval hole archtop, I ended up getting a vintage L-4 archie instread, the Andersen was more than twice the price, and again the thing with the narrow neck. For sure, they have wonderful and full acoustic tone. you are going to love it gtrst.

Last edited by rforman15; 04-22-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: because my amp goes to 11
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM

Default hmm...

Thanks for your input. : )

During the discussion, I told him what I like about the archtop I have now and what more I want from the new archtop, as well as what I want to try on my archtop etc.

I chose a Engelmann spruce and western maple as top and back.

I've never heard of a cedar topped Andersen though. Since it is an archtop, it is gonna be played amplified time to time, and I wanted good acoustics as well as good feedback control. I think Engelmanns are one of the more sensitive spruce and hope it'll fit my intentions.

Cedar topped archtop... hmmm... sounds interesting. You won't need any colored finish on that one for sure! : )

I chose the violin finish as seen on his website.

It is kinda red, Mr. Andersen is going to pain mine thinner than his usual violin finish.

I'll post some pictures of the guitar being built (I don't think Mr.Andersen does this though) or the finished guitar. : )
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrst View Post
Thanks for your input. : )

During the discussion, I told him what I like about the archtop I have now and what more I want from the new archtop, as well as what I want to try on my archtop etc.

I chose a Engelmann spruce and western maple as top and back.

I've never heard of a cedar topped Andersen though. Since it is an archtop, it is gonna be played amplified time to time, and I wanted good acoustics as well as good feedback control. I think Engelmanns are one of the more sensitive spruce and hope it'll fit my intentions.

Cedar topped archtop... hmmm... sounds interesting. You won't need any colored finish on that one for sure! : )

I chose the violin finish as seen on his website.

It is kinda red, Mr. Andersen is going to pain mine thinner than his usual violin finish.

I'll post some pictures of the guitar being built (I don't think Mr.Andersen does this though) or the finished guitar. : )
well I don't know how many he has made (cedar topped), but the one I almost bought was for sale at archtop.com. I never got to play it but heard it played over the phone. It wasn't inexpensive and I ended up getting a 1929 Gibson L-4. but it does exist. you should ask Mr. Andersen about it since he built it.

I should mention that I have a flattop made with the maple/cedar combination and it's spectacular.

What are you playing now and what don't you like about it?

Last edited by rforman15; 04-23-2008 at 11:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops