The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-28-2021, 12:57 AM

Default Original Music by The Proper Way - It's All In Your Head (EP)

I thought y'all might like this EP of original music we just released.

For a while now, we've been releasing EPs and full length records of covers, but in the background we've been quietly writing and recording.

This is the last batch of songs written before we became a trio and started writing as a trio. If we included other musicians, I've linked to our Bandcamp site, where the musicians are all credited.

Here's a playlist of the entire EP on YouTube.

I thought I might break down each song, just for fun.

Track 1: "It's All in Your Head"

This song is about a cousin on mine who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer at around 23 years old. They gave her 10 years to live. She got 8. In the meantime, she became a really great photographer. But in the last few weeks/months of her life, the tumor had destroyed her ability to speak. She could process language, but she couldn't speak. So she knew she was dying, but she couldn't talk about it with anyone.

This is one of those songs that we bring our friends in on. There are full track listings on the song's Bandcamp page.

Track 2: "Accept My Love"

This song might be about a cat. Or a woman. Or a man. Or a cat.

This is one of those songs that we bring our friends in on. There are full track listings on the song's Bandcamp page.

Track 3: "Hittin' My Stride"

My partner texted me one day and said "I have a start on a song. Meet me at the studio." He had this mostly complete and we made a few changes and wrote a few lines, but it's about it says on the tin: "my new beginning / Only came at the end." My partner explained that it was about us—we're both late 40s/early 50s—and here we are now in a busy band doing all kinds of cool things in the musical/arts community where we live.

I should say that this is, I think, my favorite recording of his voice yet.

Guitar is a Waterloo WL-12.
Pretty sure we re-amped his Roland RD800 through an old Electro (Rickenbacker) amp.

Track 4: "Wanna Go My Way"

Of the songs in this batch, this is the oldest. It predates our studio space and lots of good mics/gear. It's possible we wrote this over email while my partner was on a lunch break.

We used to subscribe to Taxi in an effort to get some songs placed on TV and film, and one call was for a bro country tune with all the cliches but it had to be about "getting out of town." We assumed it was for some travel company. We went along with it until we got to the chorus, at which point we thought "Well, I kind of like this now." And so we sort of set about writing a song that sounded like Jason Isbell (it helps that he grew up 80 miles due east of me in Huntsville and that we're fairly close in age).

Guitar is a Gretsch into I think a 60s Silvertone.

Track 5: "May You Be Well"

I went to see The Lone Bellow a while back in SLC. I didn't know a lot about them at the time except that I dearly loved their song "Marietta." One of their big numbers was a song called "May You Be Well." It's so good that I'm just going to give you the video:

I sat there in the theater thinking that I wanted to write an anthem like that with the same phrase but with a different feel. I met my partner for a writing session and we wrote this in an afternoon.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Some great music there! Working my way through it - Hittin' My Stride is great.

(Saw The Lone Bellow [acoustic trio form] in 2019 and the full band just about 1 year ago as they started their first and soon to be last tour of 2020 - got the t-shirt . One of my favorites groups, especially the trio incarnation.)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
(Saw The Lone Bellow [acoustic trio form] in 2019 and the full band just about 1 year ago as they started their first and soon to be last tour of 2020 - got the t-shirt . One of my favorites groups, especially the trio incarnation.)
I think I saw that same tour!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell