The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Default Cordoba Master Series

Anyone have experience with Cordoba's classical guitars, in particular their Master Series?
I'm looking at their Hauser model but would appreciate any input on Cordobas
in general. I'd also like to know if they're discounted like Martins and Gibsons, namely 40% off list.
Thanks, Ce.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I can't help much. I've played one Torres, very briefly, and was quite impressed: responsive, nice tone, easy to play. I believe this series, which Kenny Hill was involved with at their inception, in very similar to Kenny's own now-discontinued Master Series. I have Hill Master Series Rodriguez which is among the finest guitars I've ever played. Just magnificent. If all the models in the Cordoba series compare to this one, they should be very, very good. As to discounts, I have never seen a price below $3,499, I believe. But then again, I have never asked anyone if they could knock some money off. So I'm pretty sure these guitars are not heavily discounted, at least not nearly as heavily as Martins and Gibsons.
-Bob
Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I've seen several in the series, all priced at the ~$3500 point. They played well enough and sounded nice but my impression was the finish was applied with a heavy hand and the hardware was rather plain looking for the asking price. IMO my Alhambra 7P was frankly nicer for just over half the money (~$1750). As always, YMMV!

Dave
Old 08-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I like the looks and sound of the Cordoba Master series guitars that I have seen and heard on-line, but have never come across one in a store.

The poly finish is a turn off in this price range, although I do love my Cordoba GK Studio, which probably has a thicker version of the finish used on the Master series.

A year or so ago AllStringsNylon had some Master series guitars at slightly cheaper prices, but they are all listed at $3499 or above now. They also carry Kenny Hill.

Mark
Old 08-13-2016, 07:15 PM

I tried the Torres and the Rodrigues. I would definitely suggest the Rodrigues. Eventually I bought a Alhambra 9P cedar but the Rodriguez and Alhambra were very similar. Resonant and plenty of volume.
Don't worry about the polly finish. French polish is so delicate that you may not like the special care it takes to protect it. I am happy with polly.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom

Last edited by ZippyChip; 08-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I've played all of the Cordoba masters series guitars and my favorite was the Rodriquez, very alive and fun to play.

That being said, if you are looking into copies of the guitars of the masters, I'd also suggest Cervantes, for a more economical price point, and Francisco Navarro, at the Cordoba price point, whose guitars have received great reviews. Ron Hudson at Memorial music would be your contact. He is the distributor for Navarro guitars and is based out of Houston. Navarro also makes a Hauser and right now there is a Maple/spruce 640 mm on eBay.

1946 Epiphone Deluxe
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 08-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Oh, discount -wise, $3499 and $2150 (Esteso) seem to be standard. And haven't seen much on the used market. Too early for these relatively new models.

1946 Epiphone Deluxe
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 AM

Many thanks to all above for responding. I'm still gathering opinions and info. In my price range of 3 to 4K there are just so many fine guitars. Best I get somewhere there is a range of classicals to try.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM

Guitar Salon in Santa Monica CA, is the retail front for Cordoba (same owner), plus a bunch of other brands. I bought a Loriente Marieta from them that was a "B Spec". It has some very minor finish issues I can hardly see, but they took $800 of the price. It is a wonderful guitar. If you are willing to accept some cosmetic imperfections, you may be able to get a good deal on a "B Spec" Cordoba.

Even if you want an "A Spec", why not buy from the people who make them. I the price is the same everywhere. (Unless you get a holiday sale at a big chain store).

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/

You have to email and ask about "B Specs".
Very nice folks.

Scott
Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob W View Post
I've played all of the Cordoba masters series guitars and my favorite was the Rodriquez, very alive and fun to play.

That being said, if you are looking into copies of the guitars of the masters, I'd also suggest Cervantes, for a more economical price point, and Francisco Navarro, at the Cordoba price point, whose guitars have received great reviews. Ron Hudson at Memorial music would be your contact. He is the distributor for Navarro guitars and is based out of Houston. Navarro also makes a Hauser and right now there is a Maple/spruce 640 mm on eBay.
Navarro's "tribute" models are typically good. I have a Reyes that is as much nylon string guitar as I will ever need. I have played his version of a Santos model and a couple of others that were all nice and distinctively voiced. Recently I was in Guitar Center which is, admittedly, one step from a nylon string desert. They happened to have a used Navarro student model in the store and it was noticeably the best sounding nylon in the store and they had their usual cross section of makers there to compare.

I would definitely consider Navarro capable of producing a good version of a master builder guitar. Probably because he is a master builder himself.

hunter
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

My input is is of no great value in this thread, as I've never played any of the Master series instruments (though I've been close to ordering a Hauser and a Torres at different times).

But I wanted to say that I'm a big fan of Cordoba instruments (having owned nine of them), and in regards to classicals... my C12 SP/IN is a VERY fine instrument (and I've played handmade luthier instruments).
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Check out this one - custom Torres Master Series with Madagascar Rosewood - $5199!

https://allstringsnylon.com/cordoba-...ascar-rosewood
Old 08-16-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
My input is is of no great value in this thread, as I've never played any of the Master series instruments (though I've been close to ordering a Hauser and a Torres at different times).

But I wanted to say that I'm a big fan of Cordoba instruments (having owned nine of them), and in regards to classicals... my C12 SP/IN is a VERY fine instrument (and I've played handmade luthier instruments).
Good to see it mentioned. The C12 (lattice braced) is very fine, and I also enjoy a couple of hand picked, small shop classicals.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I was just able to play a Master Series Torres model today, and I must say, it is one excellent guitar. I didn't have my Hill Master Series Rodriguez (which I mentioned above) on hand for comparison, but I would have to say they are certainly in the same league. The Torres had nylon strings (which I find inferior to virtually all carbon or nylgut strings on my other guitars), yet still sounded superb and very appealing to me.

It was extremely responsive with a very lively and bright-ish tonal balance. Just the kind of thing I like.

I may just have to work something out. If this is any indication of the entire Cordoba Master Series range, these are outstanding bargains at their $3,500 going price.
-Bob
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the input and discussion folks.
Ce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical