The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Default convert a 52 to a 50mm nut?

I like the 50 mm nut on the cordoba c7, but I like the sound of the c9 a little more. But the c9 has a 52mm nut. Can I just get another nut and file the string slots so the string spacing is equivalent to the C7?

If so, I can see doing this in one of two ways:

1) narrow the general spacing between all the strings leading to more spacing between the edge of the fretboard and the two E strings. In this case I would have equal spacing between the edge and the two E strings.

or

2) keep the spacing the same on the high pitch E string (string 1) and the edge of the fretboard - which would lead to much more space between the low pitch E and the top edge of the fretboard.

Seems like option 2 would be the best, but I'm not sure its even possible because the uneven string tension accross the nut may make the nut want to pull off sideways.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Larry
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Humanist

There is no problem with doing either of the changes you mention.

I tend to prefer to have more distance between the E-strings and the edges of the fingerboard (especially the high-E), and I would choose/recommend method 1.

It's all about personal choice, however.

You could actually have a new nut made with your desired E-to-E spacing, but with both ends left intentionally long.

Then you could experiment for a while to see which arrangement you like best, and then finalize that nut. Yes, the bone would be hanging off of the edges during your trial, but you would only have to make one new nut, rather than experimenting with 2.

The third final-result could have you leaving the low-E in place, and moving everything over that direction, leaving even more room between the high-E and the edge of the fingerboard.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
nut width, string spacing