The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Peter Tsiorba Guitars

Anyone familiar with Peter Tsiorba Guitars? I just discovered them and wondered if anyone has one or has played one and what you think if it.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

"dreamincolor" here on the forum has had a Tsiorba classical for a few years-send him a PM and i'm sure he will give you his thoughts(very positive).

i have a Flamenco on order, about a year into the wait, Peter's timeline keeps getting longer, i think it was 16 months when i placed my deposit.
Peter is known for providing very playable, nice built instruments. rather than using sanders to remove wood, he uses razor knives to shave pieces. check his site for his reasons.
he is know in the Flamenco genre for providing excellent playing/sounding instruments- well known for restoration and setup work as well.

his guitars are very organic in the way he builds, and the way he uses the wood products.

d
Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Yes, I have checked out his website and also sent him a friend request on fb. from everything I have read, he seems to a be a top notch builder. I guess I can understand the time frame if you happen to be building these things by yourself -I'm assuming he's just one.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Yes, I have checked out his website and also sent him a friend request on fb. from everything I have read, he seems to a be a top notch builder. I guess I can understand the time frame if you happen to be building these things by yourself -I'm assuming he's just one.
yes, correct, he is a single builder. also Peter does most everything by hand with old fashioned hand tools that oft times he has fabricated himself(from what i understand). I think his philosophy of where a lot of his tone comes from is due to how he removes the wood on all components(without using a sander).

you can do a search on the:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/
and
http://www.oldschoolflamenco.com/ (check here especially as some of the folks have his guitars and love them-and these guys have been around a while)

d
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Anyone familiar with Peter Tsiorba Guitars? I just discovered them and wondered if anyone has one or has played one and what you think if it.
Although I do not own one of his wonderful guitars – a fallacy I certainly intend to remedy- I had the pleasure to have Peter Tsiorba work on my German Vazquez Rubio. After 4 different luthiers had failed to adjust the action to my specifications, Peter succeeded by working scrupulously and passionately on details neglected by the others, from the bridge to the frets, and of course saddle and nut. He also re finished the French polish impeccably.

I would not have anyone else in the world build my next instrument, after witnessing the unparalleled degree of both competence and care Peter devotes to any assignment, along with the perfection of the result.

I also had the pleasure to have a couple of glasses of wine with Peter when he attended the guitar show in California. I found his personality consistent with his professional vocation, passionate, scholarly and –at his sophisticated level of competence- still revealing a child-like eagerness to learn and overcome any problem customers throw his way. This is a fine luthier, of the old European school of craftsmanship, like they do not make them anymore.

Finally, comparing prices with other luthiers, Peter Tsiorba’s products and services are absolutely competitive, even though they would deserve to be twice the rate of so many self declared “luthiers” who simply assemble instruments!!
(Engelmann Spruce and Indian Rosewood)
German Vazquez Rubio -Flamenco Blanca
(Spruce and Spanish Cypress)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Glad to see he is on the forum! I'm sure he will be able to provide a wealth of knowledge to the rest of us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical