The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

I didn't know Martin's delving into archtops was a failure??? I have one and it is my favorite guitar. It has the most comfortable neck I have ever played, kind of like their "modified 'V'" neck on steroids. NOT real chunky, just comfy. The guitar has a 'domed' top with the solid spruce bent over curved braces. The back is a typical flat back in the 00 body size. I just love this guitar. It has an 'archtoppy' and 'flattoppy' hybred sound. I use it for playing blues, but also Beatles and some jazzy stuff I'm working on. Very versatile in my opinion. Here, enjoy some pics:

Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Fox,
It terms of doing what an archtop was meant to do, back in the day, they were a failure: They did not do much in terms of cutting into Gibson's market share, and they were not popular with the jazz crowd, which is where the majority of the market was.

As far you liking yours: I like them too, and I've played at least a dozen disparate models over the years.

I love big V necks, for the most part, so I'm never turned off to them, and if you read my post in the thread regarding 'Small hands', you'll see that I'm pretty consistant in my tastes.

I've also played one of the first conversion F-9 models, done by Matt Umanov for David Bromberg. David always called it his 0000-42, as it had a pearly trimmed top.

I have no problem with people converting those guitars to flat tops if it's done well, and documented.

Anyway, it's a great guitar.............I hope to be getting to together with David in a couple of weeks when he's in town here on LI.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston

I hadn't realized Tacoma CNC'd the top....
Yep - and being the purist that I am, I'm a little surprised that I actually was drawn to the AJF - it being such a 'hi-tech' creation. Probably the fact that I already owned two Tacomas and that I also use CNC lathes and milling centers at my work helped me overcome my fears of modern guitar production techniques.

Er somethin' like that....

Mark
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Fox,
It terms of doing what an archtop was meant to do, back in the day, they were a failure: They did not do much in terms of cutting into Gibson's market share, and they were not popular with the jazz crowd, which is where the majority of the market was.

As far you liking yours: I like them too, and I've played at least a dozen disparate models over the years.

I love big V necks, for the most part, so I'm never turned off to them, and if you read my post in the thread regarding 'Small hands', you'll see that I'm pretty consistant in my tastes.

I've also played one of the first conversion F-9 models, done by Matt Umanov for David Bromberg. David always called it his 0000-42, as it had a pearly trimmed top.

I have no problem with people converting those guitars to flat tops if it's done well, and documented.

Anyway, it's a great guitar.............I hope to be getting to together with David in a couple of weeks when he's in town here on LI.

Regards,
Howard

Howard....I saw David in Montreal in the early seventies in a small coffee house near McGill University. Watching him, is why I got into guitar. NOT that I can do anything like him. He was one of the best guitar players I'd ever seen up to that point. He was playing with a bass guy he referred to only as "The five fabulous fingers" or something like that. David kept turning away from him so he couldn't see the guitar and the chords....it was a funny night. Thank him for me for a wonderful night....
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Howard....I saw David in Montreal in the early seventies in a small coffee house near McGill University. Watching him, is why I got into guitar. NOT that I can do anything like him. He was one of the best guitar players I'd ever seen up to that point. He was playing with a bass guy he referred to only as "The five fabulous fingers" or something like that. David kept turning away from him so he couldn't see the guitar and the chords....it was a funny night. Thank him for me for a wonderful night....
Fox,
That bassist was most likely Tony Markellis, and he did not need to see what chords David was using..............

David inspired a whole generation of players, and he's a perfect example of a 'not-great' singer whose voice always fits what he's doing because he's got so much soul.

HE
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I've never actually seen one of D'Aquisto's bridges. But I read about the idea, and this is my take on it. Solid wood contact from the saddle to the top.

Here's another archtop bridge of mine, from an earlier guitar. My own idea here for lighter weight.
My idea is that the arch tops had two longitudinal braces and the two feet of the bridge rest on the top just above those braces. This puts all string energy into the top at those braces which excites the rest of the top...not just that area underneath the bridge.

One does not want to shape the bridge to sit flush on that whole section of the top between the braces.

Arch tops are so different...I can't imagine a guitarist not having at least one (and a 12-string <g>).

And I would look for used arch tops.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops