The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 07:16 AM

My last guitar purchase involved a similar decision for an adi/hog dread - the E10D vs the BR-140a. I ultimately went with the BR for a few reasons:

1. Fretboard radius was noticably larger/flatter - I couldn't get on with the curvature of the Eastman's fretboard.
2. I was, at least in the back of my mind, chasing the D-18 tone and the BR got closer to that for me.

I've been very happy with the BR, it's been great for the money. Things I don't like about BR's:

1. The poly finish. Everything's poly'd. It looks like the whole guitar was dipped in poly - back of the neck, entire headstock, the neck joint is covered with finish, etc.
2. The vintage top's color does not look good IMO. I made sure to get the normal top without the vintage toner.
3. The pickguards but that's an easy fix.

Last edited by PappyVanWinkle; 09-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Totally agreed with PvW's assessment. BR's bracing and voicing are closer to the Martin sound than Eastman. And the Poly finish and (possible) aging toner color can turn some people away (like myself). BR's necks are flatter, while Eastman's are fuller (matter of preference).
Old 09-14-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Totally agreed with PvW's assessment. BR's bracing and voicing are closer to the Martin sound than Eastman. And the Poly finish and (possible) aging toner color can turn some people away (like myself). BR's necks are flatter, while Eastman's are fuller (matter of preference).
How would you describe the Eastman’s tone or what would you compare it to?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
How would you describe the Eastman’s tone or what would you compare it to?
A comparison you see thrown around fairly often is Blueridge/Martin, Eastman/Collings.

Just remember you're not buying an exact replica of either so you'll hear your own differences and have your own preferences.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
A comparison you see thrown around fairly often is Blueridge/Martin, Eastman/Collings.

Just remember you're not buying an exact replica of either so you'll hear your own differences and have your own preferences.
Thanks. I love the Collings tone so that is another factor easing me toward the E40D.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 AM

I know from my experience that Eastman's quality/craftsmanship is really good. I don't think Blueridge matches it.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I have owned a few Blueridge guitars and still own one (BR160-12 12 string). I also own three Eastman guitars as well, including an e10D. Honestly, they are all nice guitars.

I have played the two models you are considering and they are indeed great guitars. I think it really comes down to tonal preference. If you want a more Martin like sound, go with the Blueridge. The e40D that I played was a spectacular guitar in most ways. At this point, given the option, I would likely go for the Eastman, but the Blueridge is no slouch either.

Of course,there are other options in the ~$2000 price range to consider. A used D18 or D28 is possible, as are a number of different options from Taylor or Gibson. However, the e40D that I played was quite a nice instrument!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Both of these models have almost identical specs and esthetics and even their prices are very close...has anyone played both models and is one “better” than the other?

I don’t belong to photobucket so I couldn’t post pics...sorry.
I haven't played Blueridge, but I love my Eastman E40-OM. I would love for Blueridge to come out with a limited run model called "BR-549".

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 09-14-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The balance and clarity definitely lend itself closer to Collings than Martin, but Eastman has its own sound. Always a nice shimmer on top too.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:

That is just silly. I assume you can compare Eastman-Bourgeois to Collings and BR to Made in Mexico Martin. Comparison should be in the same class and although they are instruments for the serious Amateur with a good home studio and paying weekend gigs they are getting close to Pro level instruments like MiJ Takamine or Yamaha that are not much more expensive. Comparison could also be with entry level Larrivee but those are very nice.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
That is just silly. I assume you can compare Eastman-Bourgeois to Collings and BR to Made in Mexico Martin. Comparison should be in the same class and although they are instruments for the serious Amateur with a good home studio and paying weekend gigs they are getting close to Pro level instruments like MiJ Takamine or Yamaha that are not much more expensive. Comparison could also be with entry level Larrivee but those are very nice.
Not meant to be a comparison of build quality, craftsmanship, materials, etc. The point is that when you have 4 makers building a dread with the same tonewoods and bracing style, then it's possible to determine that Blueridge shares more tonal similarities with Martin, and Eastman shares more tonal similarities with Collings. It was be just as fair to say a $100 plywood no-name guitar sounds more tonally similar to a Collings than a Martin.

Last edited by PappyVanWinkle; 09-15-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The balance and clarity definitely lend itself closer to Collings than Martin, but Eastman has its own sound. Always a nice shimmer on top too.
Would you say the Eastman is closer to a Taylor like tone?
Old 09-15-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you say the Eastman is closer to a Taylor like tone?
No, I wouldn't say that. It really has its own sound.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
No, I wouldn't say that. It really has its own sound.
Thanks! I do like the Eastman sound!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion