The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Default What is your primary daw and how proficient are you with it?

I've been wondering who is using what daw here. So if you will, please respond with your main daw and whether you'd classify your ability to use that daw as novice, lower intermediate, upper intermediate, or expert. I've been curious about this and it occurred to me that this information might be of some help to posters trying to decide what daw to use. If a lot of people respond, I'll keep a running total.

For myself,
Pro-Tools, upper intermediate.

After twenty years, I've probably done nearly everything at least once but the processes I don't use often require that I relearn them when I need them. Luckily, those things don't come up too often.

Here's the tally so far...
9 Apple Logic Pro ($200)
9 Cockos Reaper ($60 or $225)
7 AVID Pro-Tools ($600 + $200 per year beginning year 2 or $35 month)
6 PreSonus Studio One ($400)
5 Bandlab Cakewalk Sonar (free-$500)
4 Adobe Audition (part of Adobe CC or $21-$31.50 per month)
4 Apple GarageBand (free with Mac OS)
2 Audacity (free)
2 Magix Acid Pro ($200)
2 Magix Sound Forge ($60)
2 Reason ($400)
2 Steinberg Cubase ($100, $550 for full program)
1 WaveMachine Labs Auria ($50)
1 Universal Audio Luna (free but requires UA Apollo interface)
1 Traction Waveform ($119-$749)
1 Steinberg Nuendo ($975)
1 Acoustica Mixcraft ($150)
1 Magix Samplitude ($400)
1 Ableton Live ($100-$749)
1 MOTU Digital Performer 10 ($495)
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 10-07-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Audacity -- I can overdub, add effects, render mp3 files, import/export files; even though I've had Presonus and Cubase.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Reaper, lower intermediate level use.

I find it easy enough to figure out whatever I have need of, but my needs are relatively simple. Topping and tailing tracks, a bit of comping takes within a track, individual track volume automation, levels, adding FX plug-ins, etc.

I've also been using it for basic HD video editing and syncing to separately recorded audio.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Rx7 Standard and Audition, both for post recording. I'll record with a couple of mics into a Zoom H5 then transfer the sound files to my pc.

Novice all the way.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 PM

I'm no model for anyone. I use three.

I use(d) Pro Tools to record, but even though I worked at a media company that used it extensively, and I respect the product, I never really learned to edit with it. That's mostly on me, and no reflection on Pro Tools. My main studio space has been setup to record with Pro Tools since the turn of the century when I bought a Digi001. Now with Covid I'm not recording with other musicians, and though I've kept my Pro Tools support up to date so far. Not sure what I'll do near the end of the year when it's up. I use it for something that it's overqualified for: as a 16 track recording device with a nice large screen interface. Obviously, I'd rate my proficiency in Pro Tools as low.

I've used what is now called Adobe Audition since it was Cool Edit. I used Audition 3.01 for more than a decade, and got a lot of work out if it. I don't record in it, I use it for some editing, most mixing, and all mastering.

Initially I used the nice supply of effects that Audition comes with, but eventually I came to afford and get addicted to some add ins that are useful in mixing and mastering beyond what just came with the program.

Around the turn of the year I decided it was time to bite the bullet and go with the current subscription Creative Cloud version (since no other version supports 64 bit plug ins, and newer versions of some tools I use are now only 64 bit). On the older Audition version I'd rate my proficiency in the big wide medium range, maybe to the higher end of that. I've adapted to the new version fairly fast, I'm maybe in the medium slot there, but lower in that range.

I use Apple Logic more and more for my recording work since I'm working solo "one man band" style now during Covid-19. I started just before Logic Pro X was launched. I was drawn to the large amount of included virtual instruments and effects that come with it.

I've taken to calling myself a "composer" lately, because I've never been a very good musical instrument operator in any complete sense. I'll write new pieces on acoustic or electric guitar (as I always have, even pre-DAW), but now sometimes I'll do composition work from the initial idea in Logic using a keyboard, bowed string instrument, or other VI sound in Logic. Logic has extensive looping capabilities (and included libraries of same), and I played around with them earlier in my exploration, but I tend not to use that method of composition, though I do use the Logic Drummer instrument a good deal.

I do all of my work with virtual instruments with Logic, and I've come to rely on its version of comping takes as well. Besides comping when needed, I'll do some editing in it, but I'm actually no expert in that part of Logic, so I'll usually export all tracks and do editing, mixing, and then final mastering in Audition. Despite the many hours I've put into using it, and the satisfying work I've gotten out of it, I'd rate my expertise in Logic as in the higher end of the low segment.

Before I leave this run-down, I'll emphasize that one doesn't need to be a expert, or at the level where one could teach or troubleshoot difficult issues with these DAWs to produce work that is satisfying to someone like me. I've spent four years doing daily work with these three products, produced hundreds of completed pieces, and before that a couple hundred more. They are amazing tools.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 PM

I use Reaper. I suppose I could be considered Upper Intermediate. I'm pretty proficient at tracking, comping, using FX and getting a decent result out of it. I can even do stuff like side-chain or parallel compression, spectral editing and other more advanced stuff with a little Google refresh of my memory.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:31 PM

Cubase Elements. I guess I'm somewhere between lower and upper intermediate, but I really consider myself a player more than a tech. Actually, most of my recording has been with one synth or another. Currently using a Motif XS7.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM

Studio One v4 and have a free upgrade available for v5. I would say I am probably lower intermediate to intermediate in my ability to use it. It has plenty of features that I haven’t gotten around to trying yet. I do like it a lot though.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 PM

Adobe Audition 3 for editing and playback for remix through a console. Recording is done on a RADAR 24.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Been using Calkwalk Sonar since the late 80s
I know my way around the program fairly well but don’t have a need for the more advanced functions.Mainly stick to recording acoustic guitar, with the addition of the occasional virtual instrument, mostly percussion, drums and keys ....
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Logic, and dabble with a few others, like LUNA and Adobe Audition. Not considered a DAW, but I also spend a lot of time in Final Cut.

Expertise level: fairly experienced in what I do with Logic and Final Cut - mostly solo guitar or small ensembles. Very beginner at the other 99% of what Logic does (virtual instruments, etc)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I seem to be a bit of an outsider in this respect, going by what I read on this forum. I use Waveform having started off with Tracktion bundled with my 1st interface purchase a few years ago.

I now record separately (Zoom or MixPre) and only use the DAW to edit and 'condition' my solo acoustic recordings. I spend most time with Ozone 8 and reverb plug-ins. I would say that I'm also quite proficient in a very small proportion of the full capability of the DAW. The rest is unexplored territory!

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

HI jim

Logic Pro, because one can do very specific editing with ease and speed.

Like Final Cut Pro (my video editor) it is designed for serious, repetitive and specific workflows. Easy to find instruction online, and good long term support.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM

I've been using Auria on an iPad Pro. It seems to do everything that the computer based DAWs do.

Lately I've been using Ferrite Recording Studio on the iPad for processing audio for video. Ferrite is designed for bloggers, but it works well for adding compression, EQ, and reverb to my simple guitar and vocal videos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD