The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Breedlove Organic series with Olympia strings

I was just checking out the new Organic series guitars on the breedlove website and I was surprised to see that all but the top of the line Arista come strung with Olympia strings. The Arista comes with D'Addario EXP strings.

I have never heard of that brand before and there isn't much info online really, other than a facebook page. They are made in Korea...anybody know or have any experience with these strings? I'm not judging them, just curious about them.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Googling reveals a few reviews, most from the other side of the world. Packaging looks cheesy and a little deceptive (for that price you're not getting platinum, and putting "USA" in big letters on the package when they're not made in USA is pretty slimy, even if they really are made with USA steel). I don't think they're made in Korea, either; I think they're made in China (because why would Breedlove's China factory import strings from Korea?). But people who've reviewed the electric strings and the bass strings mostly like them.

Looks to me like their main selling point is low price. That's cool if they work for you; won't cost much to find out. Personally, if cost were my controlling factor, I'd buy bulk-packed Martin, or if I didn't want to deal with bulk pack, then Darco or SIT.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Googling reveals a few reviews, most from the other side of the world. Packaging looks cheesy and a little deceptive (for that price you're not getting platinum, and putting "USA" in big letters on the package when they're not made in USA is pretty slimy, even if they really are made with USA steel). I don't think they're made in Korea, either; I think they're made in China (because why would Breedlove's China factory import strings from Korea?). But people who've reviewed the electric strings and the bass strings mostly like them.

Looks to me like their main selling point is low price. That's cool if they work for you; won't cost much to find out. Personally, if cost were my controlling factor, I'd buy bulk-packed Martin, or if I didn't want to deal with bulk pack, then Darco or SIT.
Yeah they are design in oregon, usa but crafted in china. Strings are daddario exp 16 in mine I bought the discovery concert mh acoustic and is great. Dont know about those olympia strings but the guitar is really well made.

Last edited by paulyy; 01-07-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:35 PM

Downloaded the catalogue, Breedlove's series get more and more confusing each year, here are the specs, for ease of reference, I have just pasted the specs of one body shape for comparison and bolded what I am assuming are the differences between the series (other than their bursts) - for example, I can't seem to see any material difference between the Signature and Performer series other than bridge and fretboard material, and the Wildwood Series appears to have a case whereas the other series do not:

Signature Concerto Copper E Specifications
Body Type Concerto
Neck Wood African Mahogany
Solid Wood Top Torrefied European Spruce
Solid Wood Back & Sides African Mahogany
Top Finish Copper Burst Semi-Gloss
Fretboard Indian Laurel
# Frets 20
Nut Width 1.69"
Tuners Hardware Premium Breedlove Chrome w/ Black buttons
Lower Bout Width 16"
Waist Width 9.37"
Upper Bout Width 11.744"
Body Length 20.696"
String Gauge Olympia medium (.013"-.056")
Pickup Breedlove Natural Sound (Microsonic VT HD 2-AAA)
Bridge Indian Laurel
Binding Black (6mm)
Inlay 3mm MOP plastic Dots Offset
Case None
Scale Length 25.59"
Sound Hole 3.74"
Crafted In Designed in Bend, OR USA. Crafted in China.

Wildwood Concerto Satin CE Specifications
Body Type Concerto
Solid Wood Top African Mahogany
Top Finish Satin (Mahogany Stain)
Fretboard Indian Laurel
# Frets 20
Nut Width 1.69"
Tuners Hardware Premium Breedlove Chrome w/ Black buttons
Lower Bout Width 16"
Waist Width 9.37"
Upper Bout Width 11.744"
Body Length 20.696"
Body Depth 3.75" (neck), 4.5" (tail)
Bridge Indian Laurel
Binding Tortoise (6mm)
Inlay Offset dots
Scale Length 25.59"
Sound Hole 3.74"
Crafted In Designed in Bend, Oregon. Crafted in China.

Performer Concerto Bourbon CE Specifications
Body Type Concerto
Top Finish Bourbon Burst High Gloss
Fretboard African ebony
# Frets 20
Nut Width 1.69"
Tuners Hardware Premium Breedlove Gold w/ Black buttons
Lower Bout Width 16"
Waist Width 9.37"
Upper Bout Width 11.744"
Body Length 20.696"
Bridge African Ebony
Binding Tortoise (6mm)
Inlay 3mm Brass Dots Offset
Case None
Scale Length 25.59"
Sound Hole 3.74"
Crafted In Designed in Bend, OR USA. Crafted in China.

Artista Concerto Natural Shadow CE Specifications
Body Type Concerto
Neck Wood Hard Rock Maple
Solid Wood Back & Sides Myrtlewood
Back & Sides Myrtlewood

Top Finish Natural Shadow Burst High Gloss
Back & Side Finish Natural Shadow Banded Burst High Gloss
Fretboard African ebony
# Frets 20
Nut Width 1.69"
Tuners Hardware Premium Breedlove Gold w/ Black buttons
Lower Bout Width 16"
Waist Width 9.37"
Upper Bout Width 11.744"
Body Length 20.696"
Bridge African Ebony
Binding Dark Walnut
Inlay 3mm Brass Dots Offset
Case None
Scale Length 25.59"
Sound Hole 3.74"
Crafted In Designed in Bend, Oregon. Crafted in China.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:44 AM

Hey, i bump this thread cause i got an Organic Artista Concerto. It came with Olympia string as stated on Breedlove site.

What is "fun" is that even in official Breedlove video the guitar is shown with "non-Olympia" strings. As you see in the picture, the balls are coloured (like D'Addario for example) but the guitar came with all the balls in silver.

What is for sure is that Olympia strings sucks, overall on the higher tones, like the E-high and the B strings (that looks and sound more as a building wire than a guitar string).

Maybe first Breedlove's idea was to use D'Addario (as always) but then to keep the costs low ended with Olympia strings.

This is one of the cases were strings make big different. With the Olympia the Artista sounded shy and staid, with new D'Addario PB sounds like a different guitar. Waiting for my new set of Curt Mangan string to try 'em too.

See video at second 10 and pic for the "coloured-balls".

https://imgur.com/a/UgLpnUm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_gn_IhvBzs
Old 09-01-2020, 04:03 AM

cut costs on strings, what else? Makes you wonder
Old 09-01-2020, 06:14 AM

No i found it natural to spare on strings, overall since it's a easy replacable thing. For sure better to spare on strings than on other parts of the guitar.

I just explained a lil the situation of the guitar's string, since in the official promo of Breedlove they are showed with other string (D'Addario ???).
Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfemu View Post
Hey, i bump this thread cause i got an Organic Artista Concerto. It came with Olympia string as stated on Breedlove site.

What is "fun" is that even in official Breedlove video the guitar is shown with "non-Olympia" strings. As you see in the picture, the balls are coloured (like D'Addario for example) but the guitar came with all the balls in silver.

What is for sure is that Olympia strings sucks, overall on the higher tones, like the E-high and the B strings (that looks and sound more as a building wire than a guitar string).

Maybe first Breedlove's idea was to use D'Addario (as always) but then to keep the costs low ended with Olympia strings.

This is one of the cases were strings make big different. With the Olympia the Artista sounded shy and staid, with new D'Addario PB sounds like a different guitar. Waiting for my new set of Curt Mangan string to try 'em too.

See video at second 10 and pic for the "coloured-balls".

https://imgur.com/a/UgLpnUm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_gn_IhvBzs
I was very interested in these guitars and was contemplated a purchase when they had their sale going. I prefer to play something before buying, when possible, and I know GC carries the brand, so when they opened up again for in-store visits, I went to check them out.

Unfortunately, I was not impressed at all. I tried several and they all did not sound good. Thin, no sustain, not much volume. I know Breedlove makes nice guitars, even the imports, but I decided to just pass. I had a feeling the strings might be the issue, I knew they were using this budget string, so I figured I would consider looking at them some other time, and then maybe request a string change.

It will be good to hear your response after the Mangan strings get put on it.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 09-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I’ll be darned! I never noticed on my Organic Signature that those are NOT D’Addarios until seeing this thread! I am a fan of Breedloves, even their imports, and played both my signature and Artista models. In this case, the cost difference was not a factor, i didnt care for gold hardware and thought the one
I went with played better.

Back to the topic at hand, the tone really “blunted” after 2-3 months. Started playing my dred-jr more, but after reading this thread, changed to martin PBs, and voila! HUGE difference in tone. Will have to see how these strings affect tone as they age.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:15 PM

ATM i am with D’Addario PB 13-52 and seems another guitar. The best thing is that the sound get better day after day. I am also using an hole humidifier cause it was at 35% , so very dry. Can’t wait to try it with the Mangan strings. I am in Italy not so easy to find BL guitar here so i bought just listening to it in youtube and found out the balls thing.

You should give this guitar another chance. Ask the seller to restring. Full of overtones , lovely projection and get louder day buy day (seems that this volume thing getting always better is common amo g Artista user).D’Addario vs Olympia...now seems like i am playing a 12 string compred to Olympia. I’ll update when i put the Mangan on (still PB). Then i will also give the 80/20 a try and...i ordered Mangan monel too.

Oh what i love is the neck and the fingerboard, Just so easy and fast and i can’t Feel the frets at all.

My Taylor 510 is so jealous about my new BREEDlove 😁

For the price i think this guitar is unbeatable (no Yamaha red label can not compete...)

I’ll Keep you updated with the string change.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Have the Wildwood Concertina 12 fret the strings were changed by the shop when I picked it up to DAddario EJ16 and she just sings. Also for a small body guitar this Concertina is loud more so than one would think.

I would suggest revisiting these but have the strings changed, it makes a big difference.

Chris
Old 09-02-2020, 02:21 AM

Now i'm with D'Addario ej24 phosphor-bronze. Not the best string out there but good enough to bring the Artista to a new life.

Honestly, for me, if they sell the guitar without the string, would be better than with the Olympia . Maybe i got a faulty Olympia set but, ****, the B string was something so **** worst. The Olympia sounds low in volume, no projection and NO sustain at all. I always said that the guitar, with the Olympia, sounded like she was shy . Moreover, the Eh and the B felt too too hard , like they are overtensioned.

So, whenever you try a Breedlove, make sure there are no Olympia strings on it, and pretend a restring.

ciao

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion