The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Gordon Lightfoot Article, Kind of Shocking

I just saw this and wanted to share. I grew up on his music and so have a soft spot, and love playing his songs. He’s going on tour and a documentary has been made on his life. But the photo shocked me. I hope someone is looking after him and that he makes it through his tour.

https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...-be-performing
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 PM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=545438
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

So, the photo.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM

He's showing his age for sure, and his voice isn't what it used to be, but you gotta hand it to him for still doing what he loves, and his legacy will go on for generations.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Well, unlike Jagger, at least he doesn't have to keep doing the Chicken Dance.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:16 PM

Blueser wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I just saw this and wanted to share. I grew up on his music and so have a soft spot, and love playing his songs. He’s going on tour and a documentary has been made on his life. But the photo shocked me.

This is what Gordon Lightfoot looked like the one time I saw him in concert, in 1970 or '71:

˙˙˙

This is what he looks like now:

˙˙˙

Blueser concluded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I hope someone is looking after him and that he makes it through his tour.

https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...-be-performing

Well, me, too, but Mr. Lightfoot has to be a pretty tough old bird. Having read about his drinking habits back during his period of greatest fame, he definitely must have a world class liver to still be among the living all these years later.

Anyway, he's one of the greatest talents to have come out of the Folk Revival era. He's written some marvelous songs.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 PM

Here's a followup article about Gordon Lightfoot on the same paper's website:

https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...d-read-my-mind

whm
Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Gordy has gone through some very serious health issues, including an abdominal aortic aneurysm, a six-week coma, a tracheotomy, and four operations. And he’s 80 years old! It’s no surprise at all that he doesn’t look the fit, strong guy he was back in the ‘70s - it’s just a miracle he’s still here and doing the business.

Top guy!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I hope he is well cared for. His work is strong. We all have a number coming up ahead.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 AM

It is often said that growing old is hard, and this is true. However the alternative is much worse, we must make the most of every day.

Last edited by Malcolm Kindnes; 05-30-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 AM

I saw him in concert about 10 years ago. I didn't think he was long for this world back then.Obviously he's a tough old codger. Good for him to keep doing what he loves. I'm anxious to hear what his new album will sound like.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 AM

There are some clips of his current tours on YouTube. It's hard to watch, but the guy doesn't miss any lyrics. He is so beloved in Canada, they give him crazy applause after every tune. It's pretty cool that he's still out there doing it it.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Been a big fan for decades now. I first saw him in the late 70's in Michigan, several more times over the years, and the last time in early 2018 here in Boise. He did a strong 90 minute medley of the hits, some abbreviated for time. And yes, we applauded like crazy even though that voice is a mere shadow of its former glory.

The photos show just how hard living can take its toll, and that a life on the road will beat you up. Good for him for still being upright and playing! I almost certainly will be doing neither at age 80.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 AM

Smile

His hard living ended in 1982. No drinking since. Constant touring every year 80+ shows a year except for 2 years after his almost fatal abdominal aortic aneurism. yes he looks old. he's 80. look in the mirror. he's wiry old bugger with a gorgeous 23 years younger wife who adores hm and is his right hand. He's never been happier or more energetic. His voice is still in tune and some songs are bit modified to suit his older voice and some notes he can't reach or hold because of the illness. He works out every day and has since the 80's. He does almost a full concert in sound check/rehearsal before the concert each nd every night.

He can be out for 16 days, do 13 shows in 8 different states. He comes home for a few weeks then heads back out... it would exhaust a younger person. Check his schedules this year and past ones at lightfoot.ca. www.corfid.com has reviews/reports/pictures/videos and a search engine going back to 1999. He is beloved all over the world a few years ago he went back to U.K. for several shows after 25 years and venues were sold out, including Royal Albert Hall.

Massey Hall/Church of Gord in Toronto is always sold out for his 3/4 nights every 2 years. It used to be every year, then went to every 18 months.. now it's 2 years. Massey is under going renovations and Gordon is the performer who has been there the most at 165+ times. He closed the place last July 1 (Canada Day) with 3 concerts that weekend and they want him, god willing in late 2020/2021 to be the first to walk across those boards again.

He's just fine, strong and never stopping, he's on the go constantly when at home here in Toronto and prepping for the next mini tour. He is in his office every day after his workout. His voice now has the life lived in those songs he wrote as a young man. He is a marvel of a performer and a man who knows his past relating to his behaviour with family and friends and is always working on making himself better along with making his relationships better. He feels great remorse for the hurts he caused. A new doc is a very touching glimpse into his thoughts.. He doesn't give it all up as that is not his way but my gawd his influence on a few generations of singer songwriters around the world is a long list including Fogelberg, Croce, Chapin, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett (who attended a full concert in Toronto one year and name drops Lightfoot in a tune in an album a few years ago. He adores Lightfoot.

Attending a concert nowadays, and I've attended around 130 since 1973, travelling to see many, is a thank you for fans but he is the one who constantly expresses his thanks and how much he still loves to be onstage sharing his music with not only 'old' fans but several new generations who appreciate being in the presence of a poet genius who sings his poems. We are blessed to have him still at 80, doing what he has done all of his life....and always giving 100% with a remarkable orchestra behind him and his fans in front...the music uniting us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Been a big fan for decades now. I first saw him in the late 70's in Michigan, several more times over the years, and the last time in early 2018 here in Boise. He did a strong 90 minute medley of the hits, some abbreviated for time. And yes, we applauded like crazy even though that voice is a mere shadow of its former glory.

The photos show just how hard living can take its toll, and that a life on the road will beat you up. Good for him for still being upright and playing! I almost certainly will be doing neither at age 80.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM

I was lucky enough to see him about 2 years ago. He’s definitely showing his age, and shortens up some of his songs, but.... still amazing to see a legend get up there and give it his all! So many are gone or not able or willing to perform anymore, so it’s good to be able to still see one of the greats do what they do best.

JeffD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN