The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Looking for a great recording guitar

Hi guys I am looking for an acoustic that will be great for recording. I’ve had a few high end a Lowdens with the F body shape and struggled a bit with getting good consistent recorded tone. Mainly due to the very complex deep and powerful overtones they gave. So I’m looking for something that’s a little more mid focused with a strong fundamental tone.

I’ve started playing a few Taylor’s in store that I like inc the K14CE builders Edition, which is Kos and also the 614CE builders edition which is maple back n sides.

Any thoughts on either of these two or anymore string contenders?

Thank you
Matthew
Old 08-29-2020, 11:32 AM

You might also want to check out Martin's M-36. Mic'd or with a K&K Mini, its pretty tough to beat.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Collings always sound great mic'd because of the balanced sound.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattseed View Post
I’ve had a few high end a Lowdens with the F body shape and struggled a bit with getting good consistent recorded tone. Mainly due to the very complex deep and powerful overtones they gave.
Have you considered other factors which may be causing a less than desirable "recorded tone"? Your room acoustics, microphone placement(s), signal chain and monitoring chain can each contribute.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tell us about your recording space and the gear you're using. The guitars may not be at fault.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-29-2020, 02:24 PM

Default Studio

Hi guys. Thanks for the input, I appreciate you asking about the recording kit but its not that. I run a small recording studio that is very well acoustically treated and I use many different mic's inc Neumann 184's, vintage U87, Sontronics Mercury, Lewitt 140's....the list goes on. I also use a UAD Apollo interface and all very high end cables plumbing it all in. So its a really good set up.

The Lowden I had was a great guitar but it had a very warm tone, fine for using a pick but no good at all for finger style. I do about 70percent pick and 30percent finger style playing. So I am just after something a little brighter really and a bit more consistently balanced.

Thanks for any help guys
Mat
Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM

If you look in the encyclopedia under 'balanced tone' you find Larrivee

Seriously, Larrivees tend to be a 'quick setup and record' instrument.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-29-2020, 03:33 PM

Of course it’s difficult on some levels because everyone likes different things in acoustic sounds. I have 3 I’ve recorded over the years that certainly for me, we’re extremely good in a recording scenario. The first was a very old J-45. It just excelled with almost any mic although a little post eq was needed since it had some below 300hz overtones. Still the end results were very, very good. Similarly, although widely hated here on this forum, is my PRS Angelus. I never have to work too terribly hard to make it sound great and it’s one of those wonderful sounds we're the fundamentals are there and the highs just seem to bloom out of the fundamentals.

Probably the best over all guitar for recording I’ve ever encountered and required almost zero post work was a friends 60’s Martin OOO-18. Spectacular in every way!
Old 08-29-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hi guys I am looking for an acoustic that will be great for recording...

I’ve started playing a few Taylor’s in store that I like inc the K14CE builders Edition, which is Kos and also the 614CE builders edition which is maple back n sides.

Thank you
Matthew
I think the Taylor GA body style is perhaps the most versatile I've played.

The Martin M36 (I haven't played one) I think is another good suggestion.

The Larrivee 'L" model might be another contender.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I’m not overly familiar with the Taylor bodies. I’d think an OM would be a very good fit; 14 fret body shape, not a deep body. Mahogany and Adirondack spruce. If this is too extreme for you (too much clarity, fundamental, and mid range focus), an OM in Cocobolo and Engelmann will given more overtones and less midrange but keep the bass tight and controlled. If you want it to be more melodic an 00 body style might be right for you. That’s how I hear them. YMMV.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-29-2020, 08:16 PM

In my experience, it would be just about impossible for someone to recommend something that will work for you because how a guitar sounds and records depends so much on who's playing it.

I also know that it's not necessarily the best sounding guitar in the room that sounds best recorded.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
In my experience, it would be just about impossible for someone to recommend something that will work for you because how a guitar sounds and records depends so much on who's playing it.

I also know that it's not necessarily the best sounding guitar in the room that sounds best recorded.
Not only who's playing it, but what the engineer/producer are wanting to hear. It's context dependant. Most pop songs with an acoustic are wanting a 6 string high hat. Almost no bass, basically a percussive instrument that will disappear in the mix but still add something rhythmically. A singer/songwriter will probably want a fuller sounding instrument with scooped mids to allow the vocals to sit on top of it. A solo fingerstylest probably wants an ever broader spectrum with full mids to bring out the melody, deep lows (especially for alt tunings) and a lot of shimmer on top, along with a lot of dynamics. This, IMHO, is where Lowden's shine.

I guess what I'm getting at is we don't have enough information to make a useful recommendation. What do you want to record?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:13 AM

plugged in or unplugged the Yamaha FGX5 has a fantastic tone and would record well.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
You might also want to check out Martin's M-36. Mic'd or with a K&K Mini, its pretty tough to beat.
This. I have made about 30 recordings with my most recent M-36 (and a couple dozen with a previous one) and love the recorded sound, very even, not too boomy but with plenty of resonance. Of course that describes the M-36 generally, which I think may be the best all-around guitar in Martin's stock line-up. I don't use the the K&K I have in mine for recording however, rather a couple of high quality mics run into my Spire recorder.

Gene
Old 08-30-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

All subjective of course but if as you state your looking for something a little a little brighter and Yet balanced Seems like your on the right track with maple
in the Taylor line

Or two others to consider are either a USA Breedlove or a Bourgeois

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD